TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Have a great time here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Silk Road Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yazd
Silk Road Guesthouse
You added Silk Road Guesthouse to your Saves list
No 5 - Taleh Khakestary Alley | Jame Mosque Street, Yazd, Iran   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Specialty Lodging in Yazd
NY
“Have a great time here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

At first booked a different place which was terrible then switched to SRH find it really comfy and cozy, had a great time , met other travellers ,staff were friendly and made our visit memorable, would definitely visit again

Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Let me join the increasing number of people who say they had a confirmed e-mail booking with Silk Road only to arrive and find the hotel full, then to be whisked off to one of their three alternatives, usually the Oasis, none of which has the same ambience of the Silk Road and from what I gather is the main reason for staying at the Silk Road.

I thought I was a one-off but as I travelled throughout Iran I discovered this was the norm. In fact, this is the deliberate business tactic of the Silk Road management. Take bookings and if there are rooms left when they arrive, fine - give them to them. If not, shunt them off to another of their hotels. The policy seems to be driven by a desire not to lose business so if someone arrives without a booking, rather taken turn them away or risk them refusing one of the other hotels, they simply give them one of the rooms that have already been reserved.

But it was the way in which it was all done that left a sour taste in my mouth. The manager was indeed expecting me when I arrived announcing I had a booking and even mentioned my name confirming that yes, I did indeed have a booking and if I would wait just a moment someone would take me to the second building (read as another hotel under their management). I was not entirely happy and when I arrived at the Oasis Hotel I was even less happy. Usually, I suspect, travellers are too tired and will take it on the chin, but I simply politely refused to accept the situation and asked to be taken back to the Silk Road. By this time the embarrassed management had made themselves scarce so I was dealt with entirely by a person I soon discovered was a tourist driver who does some business with the hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

great value for the room, it is nice to have AC during the summer.. the breakfast is also nice!!
the staffs are no that bad, maybe we are use to the super warm welcome in Iran, normal welcome is not enough any more...
they speak English well, no problems with communications!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Pecs, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

BEWARE OF SILK ROAD HOTEL IN YAZD

We had a confirmed reservation in this hotel but when we arrived at the hotel we were told that the hotel was full and went to other place. We looked at the reservation calendar of the hotel and found my name in the calendar in spite of this fact we were sent out. The manager was unfriendly and not even try to help us find other accommodation.

Our taxi driver took us to other hotel situated 30 meter from Silk Road. The hotel was Oasis traditional house. This hotel was very clean and cheap, a pleasant place. The manager was very friendly and helpful.

BEWARE OF SILK ROAD HOTEL IN YAZD

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I only had dinner at this place, so I can't comment on the hotel part. From the looks of it, the place looks quite worn down and the surrounding area feels a bit dodgy.

As for the food, it was quite OK and reasonably priced. I had the Tas Shotoor-e Kebab (if I remember the name correctly) which is camel stew. It tasted quite nice and sweet.

If you're interested in meeting other tourists, then this probably is the place for you. I'd rather spend time in the hangouts for locals, but each to their own.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The overall rating here I gave is very lenient because the price is low.

I may have a love and hate relationship with it, love the atmosphere, hate the cleanliness (especially the shared bathroom/WC).

Like another reviewer, I booked a room in Silk Road, only to find that they don't have a room for me. But my situation was a bit different, I tried to book via an agent (not a good one) so I do not know whether the Silk Road or the agent screwed up my booking (SilkRoad said the agent didn't book)...Ok, presumption of innocence, probably the fault of the agent not Silk Road but I have heard similar things from other travelers I meet in Iran.

So I ended up staying in the dormitory, which I haven't done for 10 years. Price is cheap, but then I have used a dom for ages so I 'm not sure if it was actually cheap among dormitories. The dom I stayed has 4 bunk beds but there are some problems with one bed so it hosts up to 7.

The location is quite good for backpackers, it is in the old town and is close to the jamme mosque of Yazd so you can have easy access to there in twlight hours. Yazd is small, so the Amir Chakhmagh is not too far away.

The building is not bad, the atmosphere is good, and you're likely to meet other interesting people there (maybe becuase Lonely Planet once rave about it?) If you travel alone, you might meet travel buddies there (Ok, don't count on that, it's totally by chance..)

I can't talk about the room but the dom. I didn't find it clean but one probably can't expect much for a dom that cheap. It was located in the basement and has a window which the other side is the common area of the house, where the restaurant is located. The problem is... when there are people arriving early in the morning (which is quite likely since it 's common for backpackers to travel by overnight bus) and grab a seat or have breakfast, the metal chairs produce so much noise that, together with the noise from the chats., you are garenteed to be woken up.

The shared bathroom/WC is actually terrible grade in my book , BUT it doesn't seems to be so bad among the standard of guest houses in Iran. I 've seen something worse, but this is one thing I really dislike about the Silk Road.

Breakfast is ok, very good as a hostel at this price.

I would say it is not a good, clean place to stay (I have to say I am rather picky about bathroom and WC) and there might better one around, BUT it is a good place to meet travelers.

WiFi is slow and unreliable, seems rather typical in many Iranian cities (except Tehran). Many web sites and services are blocked in Iran anyway.

Fix the bathroom/ toliet, make the dom (bed ) cleaner and I'd probably like it very much.

The guy stationing in the Silk Road, working for a travel agent is a nice and interesting guy, you can trust his advice and use his service. But he is not part of the hotel so that does not affect the rating of the hostel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked directly with hotel by email. Reconfirmed 48 hours before giving arrival details. They responded - "Your booking it's ok-see you at the Silk Road". Arrived 5:30pm. No room left! Did not bother to apologise. Just simply 'no room'. Probably gave it away to one of the many backpackers hanging around in the courtyard.
Sent me to their other hotel without directions, assistance, or even notifying the replacement hotel (Oasis). If this is tyoical of how they treat guests, your stay will be mediocre at best. At worst you will be left withou anywhere to stay.
In 73 past reviews, I have never had to say 'do not stay here', bit sadly I must say that now.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Silk Road Guesthouse? Share your experiences!