“"Great Place with historic Background"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Jakarta, Indonesia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“"Great Place with historic Background"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We came here straight from lagoi. It took us around 2 hours to get here. Loved the mosque that made from egg, really sacred. The only interesting place in Tanjung Pinang, but not really a fan about the food in the area.

Visited January 2014

• Indonesian first
Singapore River, Singapore
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“very laidback island and the islander were friendly and very welcoming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We took a boat ride from Tanjung Pinang ferry terminal to the island. Charging us at $1 per pax, we took around 10 to 15minutes to reach the island. Pulau Penyengat is a much quieter island and peaceful as compared to Tanjung Pinang. We felt more laidback and on relax mode on the island. From the guide who brought us around the island (by motorised beca,) we were told that the island of Penyegat is occupied by Malays, hence communication are all done in Malay and not bahasa Indonesia. There were many makam and we were brought to 4 complex of makam. The main mosque which was made using egg white which acts like a cement/glue was well-maintained. The keeper of the mosque did a good job in explaining about the history of the mosque and the island.
There are many mini stalls, and warongs on the island, so food and drinks is not a problem. It took us around 2.5 hours to go around the island and we made many stops to capture the beauty of nature available on the island. The scenery was great and it was just like Singapore in 1970s

Visited December 2013
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“feels of 'kampung' house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Laid back & peaceful scenery... its different from Bintan and their dialect is the same as our Singapore Malay. Easy to understand.
For those who love history do visit the old king's 'makam' and the so called meeting house..
don't forget to take a drink from the well @ the bottom of the house. Its so refreshing after going around the island under a hot sun..
Stop for a coconut drink by the sea or maybe a quick lunch.
The villager were friendly and nice. You can pass a few local children from school which had a ready beautiful smile & friendly wave from them...
Just take a motorcycle 'beca' for a tour around the island which can go around for half a day tour.
They are the tour guide of the island.
Overall -
- quite place (i reach on weekday)
- 'kampung' more modern & near each other (that makes me so much to see)
- clean (with chicken & some cats roaming around)
- do buy some souvenirs as most of them hand made by the villagers

Love to visit again and decide to bring along my parents (as i know they will like the place as it will remind them as the old 'kampung' house)

Visited October 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Exploratory!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The boat ride was a good experience.
The motorbike ride through island and landmarks was fun.
Trekking should be good. There's a mountain inside - bukit kusir, should be good we guess but we didn't go.
The bridge there gives a good view of the sea and the islands - fantastic view that you shouldn't miss!
The Ikan Bakar - fish BBQ at the food place at the entrance of the island is tempting and spicy and delicious

Visited December 2012
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Smaller than you think...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was told my someone who had been to the island in 2004 that there is an old mosque with egg whites used to put the walls together, a museum and an old palace or two. Some trip advisor search informed me that an island tour by the motored trishaw would be under 2 hours. My tour ended under 30 minutes for about USD2.5 per trishaw. My friends and I chartered a boat for the 8 of us from Tanjung pinang on Bintan Island, so that we would be waited on, USD3 per person. Being Muslims, we prayed in a mosque by the jetty when we landed and later was told by the caretaker that the mosque is some 200 years old with a hand-written Quran on display. Then in 4 motored trishaws we were taken "around" the island. Being uninterested in mausoleums, our drivers soon zoomed passed almost any "old" structures resulting in us missing the only palace being repainted - I had to ask my trishaw driver to turn back so that I could explore the site. Most are destroyed to avoid the Dutch having control of any "valuables", so I was informed. No museum that I saw. I think if you are in Bintan, spare some 1 hour or two for the island, if you like history. Else give it a pass and spend time relaxing at Lagoi instead.

Visited November 2012