“Thyesza Restaurant in Samosir Island” 5 of 5 stars

Simanindo, Samosir Island, Indonesia
Improve this listing
Cuisines: German
Singapre
“Thyesza Restaurant in Samosir Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The lady owner croons karaoke to you while you eat - now that may be good or bad - firstly depending on her voice-actually not too bad-especially when she sang a song in your language. As I am Singaporean she sang us a Chinese song, most versatile. Ok, ok, how's the food? Fantastic but a do agree that its a wee bit expensive 20% lower would be marvellous. The suckling pig with 2 kg large head (they call it lobsters) prawns "Udang Gala" 1 vegetable and rice was 1.5 million rupiah. The view is to die for, upstairs facing the lake. Good food, good company, fantastic view what more could a man, or woman ask for?

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Penang Island, Malaysia
“Nice place but expensive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We visited the place because it was recommended by our driver. I hope he didn't receive kick back.

Environment- I think the place is nice, overlooking the Lake toba, surrounding by nice plants and clean environment. Washrooms are clean too.

Taste- Taste of food was ok but really nothing is remarkable. The coffee Luwak was tastless, it is not even comparable to Malaysia Kopi-O which cost only USD0.20 per cup. The owner asked me how the taste of the coffee, I said tasteless. She didn't deny, but explain that the coffee is different because good for health. what a nonsence.

Price- expensive. I have this feeling when I first looked at the menu. Price of drinks, plain rice and dishes are more expensive than others. Nwm, we didn't leave as we hope if the portion is big and the taste is good. I comment so is because we compared the price with J*nny (ranked #2 in tripadvisor).

The restaurant owner intriduce us their famouse Coffee Luwak, price about USD10 per cup. It is not cheap because I have seen the coffee selling at same price at airport (I can't remember which airport, maybe is KLIA M'sia). For sure food at airport is always much more expensive.

When I asked for bill, i found they charge a 10% on total bill as service charge. We asked the owner and they insist this is the industry practice. I disagreed because I have never experience this in Jakarta, Yogja, Surabaya, Bali even other restaurant in Samosir Island. Well, ok finally I paid. I asked if they receive credit card, the answer is yes, with 3% additional of total bill. @#$$%^&!!!

Food portion- Small. Compared to the food served at J*nny which is also selling at lower price.

I believe, taste and the price is the reason why the restaurant is lacking of customer. There were only 1 table of customer when we arrive, after that no more customers during we are dining there.

• Visited October 2013