The hotel looks fantastic in the photos on the web, I was a little concerned that it might be an aesthetic masterpiece that doesn't work in reality, my fears, however, were unfounded, this hotel is superb.
We were staying in Seminyak (I wouldn't bother, see my review on hotel Sense there), then decided at breakfast that we had had enough of it there, so I emailed Alila in Uluwatu and they had a room, I then requested they send a car to picked us up, this they did and arrived within an hour and a half of my request 5 minutes before there estimated time of arrival. The car was fine, a toyota SUV, it had an ipod in the back with a cable to there car stereo for us to choose our music and the driver was very pleasant. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by around 10 staff, to collect the luggage and check us in, with cold hand towels and cooling face spays, water etc and take us to our room in a golf buggy, this process was seamless.
The hotel is so well designed it is unbelievable, the hotel has a soul and it is a calm one, when walking though the hotel your route is managed very well by the design to give new vistas at every turn, it is absolutely beautiful.
The room is large, not quite as large at the size suggests on the web as that includes outdoor space and the private pool, but still large and feels natural, everything is where it should be and it seems to have a good energy about it, we were on the fourth row, the view was spectacular, as was the ability to open all the doors and widow to take the room outside. There is an espresso machine and ipod dock with an ipod in case you haven't brought one. The sound system is pleasant. I didn't turn the TV on. The room is full of body products which are all natural, these are absolutely lovely, the smell and the feel, and of course no nasty SLS's or Parabens! (except the shampoos which do have SLS) Which normally stops me using hotel products.
We only ate in the Indonesian restaurant, but we ate there 3 times, and every time is was great. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and typically Balinese.
I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, sorry I cannot tell you about the surrounding area as I didn't leave the hotel!!!
One thing to note, the hotel seems to play down the fact that it has a beach, and discourages swimming at the beach due to rocks in the water, therefore I only visited the beach just before leaving – WOW – if you are reasonably fit, you must go there, it is so beautiful down there, yes there are around 600 steps down, but for us that was fun and a gentle workout, the steps are also mainly in shade, it took us 6 minutes to go down and 7 to come back up, the hotel advises it takes 15 to go down and 25 to come back up. I'm hoping I'll include pictures of the beach (sometimes I struggle to add photos on TA). I do not need to include pictures of the hotel as the pictures on the website are perfectly accurate (unusual for a hotel I know:)).
Appologies for the length of this review, I suppose I could've just written- Go there, you'll love it!!!
- Also Known As:
- Alila Villas Uluwatu Hotel Uluwatu
- Alila Villas Uluwatu Hotel
- Alila Villas Uluwatu Bali
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alila Villas Uluwatu is the first all-pool villa luxury resort in the Alila Signature collection. Designed by award-winning architectural firm WOHA, each of 84 villas showcase contemporary Balinese-inspired design. Poised on an elevated plateau that meets with limestone cliffs sweeping down to the cerulean Indian Ocean, the view from Alila Villas Uluwatu showcases nothing less than nature’s perfection. Each villa offers private pool and cabana with 24 hour host (butler) service. Alila Villas Uluwatu designed in harmony with fully respecting the natural environment, continuing the Alila tradition of a total destination experience that is serene, sensual, and surprisingly different. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, AsiaRooms, Booking.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Alila Villas Uluwatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.