“trekking not for the faint hearted,only worth it if you see the sunrise!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Batur

Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Chennai (Madras), India
7 attraction reviews
“trekking not for the faint hearted,only worth it if you see the sunrise!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2015 NEW

Being a little unfit and having asthma I found the uphill trek nerve recking,and for one you cant see anything as it was an early morning trek,it was a steep and there was so much rubble.Every step you feel you will slip and fall,the guide was extremely nice and helped me almost all the way up,held my hand and literally pulled me up.The views are breathtaking and weather gets chilly once you ascend,but unfortunately it was extremely cloudy the day we climbed and there was no sunrise.So we were a bit disappointed that all the effort went in vain.For slightly fit people and professional trekkers you can further hike to the summit,for the weak like me you can make it to the sunrise point-from where you can view the crater lake.Ideally do check the weather status the day you trek,if its going to rain,pick another day.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Guarded by aggressive mafia - AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2015 NEW

We checked into our guesthouse in Kintimani with plans to hike the following morning unguided.

Almost immediately our host was very aggressive in his attempts to get us on his guided tour, laughing when we said we plan to hike alone as we are experienced hikers. He told us it was illegal (not true) to go without a guide and got visibly angry when we insisted it wasn't. He kept quoting 1 million Rupiah each for the guide which was ridiculous. I'd seen others advertised between 300-600,000Rp each and even that is far too much in comparison to other guided mountain tours in other countries (and also Bali). We felt very unsafe in the guesthouse and quite intimidated by this man. I later tried to leave the guesthouse to buy water and was told I wasn't allowed out in Kintimani at all without a guide!!

After these experiences we typed into Google about aggressive guides at Mt Batur only to find dozens and dozens of experiences similar and worse. We came to the conclusion that our host was part of this region-wide mafia and that no hike was worth risking being attacked by a money hungry mafia group. We left early the following morning much to our hosts annoyance.

It makes me so sad that we, and other people, have had bad experiences in the Mt Batur region. It is a beautiful place landscape wise, but the people within are horrid and money hungry. To guard a mountain and attack tourists whom wish to hike an easy trail alone is disgusting and I refuse to support it. Guides are fine to offer, but to attack those who decline is typical mafia behaviour and should not be supported.

I've climbed numerous hills and mountains, I'm happy to pay for a guide when needed and fees for the regions maintenance etc, but have never come across anything like this before. Boycott this region until Bali does something to stop this.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
97 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous Sunrise, Fairly Steep Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2015 NEW

The view of the sun rising over the horizon takes away all the pain of hiking upwards for close to two hours, but beware of the cold weather that you will face at the peak while you wait for the sun to rise (bring a jacket along!). The craters at the top of this still-active volcano are also nice to view, and you can see steam rising from the earth

Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2015 NEW

Bali is not only famous for its beaches. The trek up Mt Batur begins in the wee hours of the morning and takes about 2-3 hours to reach the summit. The trek is do-able, however, it can be pretty slippery at certain parts of the trek, especially when going down. Enjoy the stars while trekking up the volcano in the early morning and prepare for a beautiful sunrise in the morning. It is totally worth it.

Ross Creek
“Spectacular Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2015

I have always wanted to do an activity like this & after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I decided to give it a go with my husband.In all honesty it was harder than I anticipated but with the help of our wonderful guides encouragement all the way we made it. Our fitness levels are as I would describe on the low level & we are both 50+. It goes without saying if you are thinking of doing this activity wear the correct foot wear.I cannot believe how many people wore sandals & thongs.You are given a small torch by your guide but if you have a head torch I would suggest you bring it.The views at the top of the sunrise were worth all the effort it took & I am very glad I can now cross it off my bucket list.