When we travel we prefer activities like trekking or riding a bike. So the Sunrise trekking sounds like a good idea, right?
Well, I wouldn't recommend it the same way all the people do it.
1. As others already said, it's like getting the cows up to the alp ("Almauftrieb", we call it).
2. When we arrived, our driver told us to wait inside the car. Hmm?
Guides rush to the arriving cars. It guess it would end in an aggressive situation if tourists and guides meet directly. Our driver arranged for us a female guide with lots of energy, her english was not sufficient.
3. Don't expect much information about the (for me) interesting volcano. Only a few dates of last erruptions.
4. When going up either you feel pushed, or forced to take a break. You might never be walking the speed, you prefer.
I PERSONALLY recommend:
1. Take a map, look for a beach with a view direction east and enjoy your own more private sunrise. Or west for a sunset, eg. at Jimbaran. It's just a hype with Batur and sunrise.
2. If interested in the Batur volcanic activities and the view, go up there yourself. Start early in the morning (dawn), when temperatures are lower. Bring trekking shoes, no flip flops or sneakers. There is a nice view indeed and an informative table with graphics, figures and text. In english too.
3. Go in groups of 4, fill that car, even better bus. Otherwise, what should be an eco tourism tour ends up in an several hour car drive and fuel consumption.
If you own or manage Mt. Batur, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.