“The view was unbelieveble!” 4 of 5 stars

Lakeview Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Raya Penelokan, Kintamani, Bali 80652, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kintamani
Stockholm, Sweden
“The view was unbelieveble!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

You have a fantastic view over the lake and the volcano! Other than that it isn´t that much to do in this place so staying more than one night is unnecessary. I don´t give much for the food at the hotel and it was also ecpensive

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for your enthusiastic review, especially of our view. You came after rainy season had come to an end, so the landscape was in its verdant lush state while the skies had cleared. We have found that some people are quite happy to enjoy the fresh air from our balcony reading a book for 3 days, or to write in between going for walks for a week or more.

You were also with us at a time when our community was preparing for the biggest full moon festival of Bali (a ten-day-ten-night celebration at Batur temple). If you have an interest in art, dancing and culture there is a lot to see within 5kms of our hotel, on some nights it goes on until 3 AM. The entire hindhu community of Bali tries to come to Batur at this time of year.

There are also a number of forrest walks which are not as "touristy" as the popular Mount Batur Sunrise Treks where you can enjoy nature, birdsong and fresh air.

We try to make sure that our restaurant gives value for money. The cheapest starter on our menu (bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and basil) is US $1.75, while the most expensive item (sirloin steak, served on a hot plate with NY-style potatoes and sauteed vegetables) is US $8.

Compared to eating at a road-side stall or at the market 100m from our hotel entrance, where you can get rice porridge for 30 cents US or meatball soup for 60cents US, I agree that our prices may seem expensive. Compared to eating at a 3-star hotel in Bali, or anywhere else in the world, for that matter, I believe you will find our prices very affordable. We serve food at a hygienic restaurant perched on the crater of an ancient volcanic cladera to afford an amazing view, with a roaring fireplace for your comfort on a cold night, and happen to be the largest taxpayer in the region.

Thank you for stopping by and helping us build our region through the ten percent tax added to your bill.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Sanur, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This was my second stay at Lakeview in Kintamani, the food has improved in the big restaurant in fact I was traveling with a British chef and she found the food to be’ fresh, and inviting’ high compliment indeed she is a very discerning judge!
We stayed in the old part of the hotel which is basic but very clean and has a lovely small garden where you can sit and enjoy the ever changing view.
I was visiting as part of the Lakeview artist in residence scheme and conducted some Batik making workshops. The workshops were a great success every student produced excellent work, I think this was because of the warm inspiring atmosphere surrounding this wonderful place.
I know that the Lakeview team are planning many more themed walks and workshops, if you really want to experience Bali and its culture this is for you.

Room Tip: We liked the older part of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
I'm glad you and your group enjoyed our new (more local) menu at Lakeview Restaurant, as well as the recently renovated standard rooms. We are still planning to improve the bathrooms in those rooms when time and budget permits.

We look forward to hosting you again.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed at Lakeview for one night in Feb 2012 and I was blown away by this wonderful place. Many reviewers have commented on the magnificient view from every room and every venue of this hotel. However I also liked the hotel itself very much. I cannot claim to know the Balinese traditions, but it did feel that the hotel was built in total harmony with the landscape. I liked every bit of experience, from friendly check in, where the the receptionists who spoke basic English did their best to arrange a trecking package for a lone traveller at the late hour, to wonderful late night encounter with an artist involved in renovation planning, to the fresh and relatively dry and cool air, so different from low areas...

Yes it is true that there is this constant noise from trucks carrying rocks, but somehow it did not bother me. The noise is rather monotonous and thus not disruptive. I hada sleep both from midnight to 2 am, and then again during the day, and had no issues.

Last but not least, this amazing experience is affordable. One would hope that the planned renovation will not bring about 5 star rates! This was my best stay in Bali and I will definitely stay here again if I can.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your vote of confidence in our services. We aim to improve while continuing to provide value for money. At present most of the renovations are focused on improving our infrastructure such as electricity, water supply, internet and ventilation to make sure we can look after you well, as well as improving our hot water reticulation to make sure you get your hot shower faster. We are finding energy (and cost) saving solutions for most of those issues, so we don't have to pass on the cost of improvement to our valued guests. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!
Ubud, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Everywhere there is a stunning view. Lakeview Hotel, on the ridge, over looking Lake Batur and the 5 majestic volcano kortous are breathtaking. Lakeview Hotel not be confused with a similar named hotel down on the lake.I spent 2 nights in a batik painting workshop with 5 women, a world class painting instructor from England, her friend/support staff. Our rooms were in the old part of the hotel which allowed us plenty of room to work. A great location for a workshop. The staff was genuinely helpful serving Balinese cakes, coffee, tea. The rooms were simple & clean, not fancy, yet had what you need. I hear if you drive down to the lake there is an Olympic size swimming pool.
We had 3 meals, one a buffet which was a wonderful sampling of Indonesian food well prepared and we ate in the smaller Dano room a la cart .

Room Tip: ask for a room that would be the most quiet. sound travels up, the stunning view compensates.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you for your enthusiastic review. The weekend art course you attended is the first in a series this year, we look forward to hosting you again.

I had to look up the word "kortous" -- it means "the opening at the top of a volcano".

Sorry for being pedantic, but here's a clarification on how many "kortous" are visible: If I start counting, from the lobby I can see (1) the massive caldera of the ancient Mt Batur that we're sitting on (2) Mt Agung to the South-East (3) Mt Rinjani in Lombok to the East, and (4, 5 & 6) the three cratertops of "Anak Batur", the new volcano emerging in the crater of the ancient Mt Batur, next to Lake Batur. The top of "Mt Abang" (between 2 & 3) isn't actually a volcano, it's more of a hill, the highest point of kortous no (1) above that stands out and looks like its own volcano.
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay there but the restaurant was one of the most amazing venues I have seen. Very clean, great service and no pressure at all. I met the manager and congratulated him on what he has done. One thing more, he needs to list this under restaurants as well.

Our driver for 350,000 drove us from Ubud to Kintimani, with stops at a painters cooperative - very impressive, the Elephant Cave, and the Natural Spring Temple - also both very well worthwhile stops.

At Kintimani we also drove along the rim for a distance before heading back down via a road with some picture postcard views of the rice paddy terraces

A most enjoyable day

• Stayed February 2012
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your vote of confidence in our service. We reopened Lakeview Restaurant with a new three-tiered deck on 12 Feb, so you would have been one of our first customers to have the new experience. I'll ask the team at Trip Advisor on how to make a separate restaurant listing. Thanks for the tip! We look forward to hosting you at our hotel as well.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I've never stayed at the Lakeview, only stopped there for a beer. It's the first watering hole on the trip up from Ubud. I cycle up at least once a year to prove to myself that I can still hack it. Unfortunately, Rp58,000 for a large Bintang seems a bit over the top, since I can get the same in Ubud for between 24,000 and 30,000. There are restaurants further up the track, with the same view, where you can bargain down the price and that is what I ended up doing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Congratulations on making it up the hill! I used to do it regularly when I was a teenager, these days I tend to do the downhill with our guests. Glad you like the view as well. We've been amazingly lucky with the weather lately, it may be raining down in Ubud or the rest of Bali, but we seem to be above the clouds at 1,200m above sea level.

As the best Hotel and Restaurant in Kintamani, we have the privilege of charging $6 for 750mL of beer. Unlike most of the road-side shacks you get up the road from us in Kintamani, we pay our taxes, which goes towards maintaining the roads you cycle on. We are probably the only establishment up here that provides free snacks and don't charge people for a glass of water, too. It comes with the service (with a smile!).
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I have just spent a weekend celebrating a friends birthday at The Lakeview Hotel and had the most amazing time. The sun was glistening on the tranquil lake as we shared a picnic in the hills and Mount Kintamani was majestic through the clouds. The staff from the hotel guided s to our picnic spot and were incredibly helpful throughout our stay. Our rooms boasted amazing views and I had one of the best sleeps ever with no A/C necessary and the clean fine air wafting through the balcony doors.

For a change from the bustle of Kuta and Seminyak and for some truly extraordinary views, try the Lakeview Hotel for a weekend. Just beautiful.

Room Tip: Request a Deluxe room in the new wing
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
It was a pleasure hosting you and your party. Thank you for bringing a different energy to our place. It was quite a pleasant change for some of us to still be up past ten PM. Our team is looking forward to hosting you on your next visit.

Been to Lakeview Ecolodge? Share your experiences!