“Imperial excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Vung Tau
Dongara, Western Australia, Australia
“Imperial excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and everything about it deserves 5star .......
Great location, Very professional spa treatments and great choice of buffet breakfast. Could not find fault with anything...... Even provide complimentary ferry transfers

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lan N, Director of Operations at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Laura T,

Thank you for your kind note to The IMPERIAL services and facilities you have recently experienced during your visit in Vung Tau. Your note has been shared among the entire team, which helps to motivate the team to work much harder to maintain our standard in service delivery and to gain our guest's satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vung Tau and stay at The IMPERIAL Hotel in not far distant future.

With kind regards,

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nice hotel, tries to be stylish with a taste of old England and of old Vietnam. It overdoes it.
The room I had was nice and clean. The restaurant was clean, food was OK, and service friendly. Running a workshop there was fine, except that the staff does not always understand the protocol, but this will come with experience. Nice experience overall

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Didier D,

We do appreciate your comment on hotel facilities and services during your workshop at The IMPERIAL. It's lovely to learn that our room and restaurant has met your satisfaction. Your comment about our team's knowledge on protocol has been discussed during our management meeting for careful review and follow-up action.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The IMPERIAL Hotel Vung Tau for another event.

Our warm regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Its a crying shame that this hotel that is only 3 years old has walls, furniture, outdoor settings and rails in lifts that are damaged.
Our expectations were high as we visited this hotel when first opened in 2010.
We had no problems with the staff as they were extremely helpful.
Both pool areas were magnificent.
Breakfast was average but evening meals in dinning room were excellent.
I would rate this hotel as 4 star only.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lan N, Director of Operations at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Kayza 3,

Thank you for having chosen The IMPERIAL Hotel as preferred accommodation during your last vacation in Vung Tau. It is great to know that you have good experience with our pool facilities and the team. Your comment on the hotel maintenance issue is highly appreciated, which has been clearly shared with our Project team for action.

We hope to have another chance to welcome you back to experience the change.

Best regards,

Hoi An, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

At first appearance the hotel looked great on appearance with two great swimming pools and friendly staff but that's where it ends. My room well the air-conditioning in it would only go to a very cold setting and the temperature gauge had no effect. Secondly if you want to use wifi in your room think again I was on the 7th floor and had little or no connection at all and then there was the room service which brought my food up and it was stone cold but these minor issues may have just happened to me and maybe I was unlucky but the worst was yet to come. When I retired to bed I noticed little mosquitos or some kind of bugs which where starting to bite me but they soon went away and I fell asleep only to wake up half an hour later covered in bites from some kind of insects and this continued through the night. After enduring all these insects lavishing out on my skin I also had been bitten by something on my leg and all the lymph nodes around my groin had become swollen. This was on the first night of my two night stay and I was that furious as soon as the sun had come up I immediately checked out forgoing a night which I had already paid for just to get out of the place. Before I left I ran into some fellow guests who I had met previously and told them my story and they informed me that when they arrived there room had just been sprayed with something which they were not sure of but im guessing it was insect spray and maybe this hotel has a problem with them. After three weeks in Vietnam what a sad way to finish my trip I would of been better off sleeping on the street.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel its definitely not worth the money charged for it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mark L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience during the last visit to Vung Tau. Your comment has been seriously addressed to the entire management and staff team for urgent action on all issues.

Regarding mosquito situation, I have sit down with our Executive Housekeeper - Ms. Diep Nguyen to deeply inspect all the guestrooms and conduct more pest treatments as well as put an advise of closing balcony door during this raining season in Vung Tau. Beside this, we have prepared a pillow and mattress menu for our guest's choice in case any guest is allergic to feather.

Mark L, I do apologize for any inconvenience caused and would personally avail myself to take care of your next stay in near future.

With my best regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at deluxe room where my company had a workshop there. The room was clean and nicely decorated. There's also free WIFI.

The interior of the hotel was very impressive as if that I'm visiting an art gallery in Europe.

The facilities were great with sufficient rooms for workshop activities.
Unfortunately the royal garden pool was under renovation that time, but there's another pool in front of the beach.

On the last night, we had company event at Hai Vuong seafood restaurant, in front of the beach and next to the pool. It was a blast. The seafood was fantastic.

The staff were attentive and helpful all the time.

A recommended place for business and also for leisure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lan N, Director of Operations at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear IzwanShahmin,

It is our great pleasure to have received your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that our facilities and services has met your satisfaction. Your feedback has helped to motivate and encourage our team to work much harder to maintain our standards.

Thank you for your great note and we look forward to welcoming you back to The IMPERIAL Hotel at the soonest.

Warmest regards,

Director of Operations.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Excellent hotel on the coast with superb decor and a brilliant private beach.

Hotel itself is very new but designed on a period style with a lot of thinking gone into the detail. The hotel presents very well and is quite elegant and stylish.

Room: was in room 306 with garden view and it's a beautiful room.
Cleanliness: very good, fresh smelling and clean.
Bed: very comfortable, superb linen and great choices of pillows
Bathroom: fantastic - very well designed, elegant and functional. One of the cleanest bathrooms I have had the pleasure of using. Toilet itself was as clean as a showroom model.
Clothes closet: small but functional with a safety deposit box
TV: good selection of local, national and international channels (English)
Food: very well presented and many choices for vegetarian/vegan guests
Staff: overall very friendly with very good English skills at reception (poor in the dining room)
Gym: superb assortment of modern equipment with a surprising half sized boxing ring & gear
Location: Perfect....also has a great shopping mall and grocery beside the hotel.
Beach: This hotel has a highway overpass to a private beach, restaurants and beer garden and incredible beachside swimming pool. All in all this was my favourite feature of the hotel. They have really put some though into getting hotel right.

Downsides:
- English language outside of the reception areas is not good
- As with all hotels, I encourage them to indicate whats in the food incl. common allergens etc.
- I stayed in mid-July which is the rainy season and there are swarms of large flying insects outside the hotel. While harmless, if you are squeamish note the month.
- Clothes closet was small
- Door opening inwards in the shower was a bit restrictive and appears to be an possible error

Otherwise a brilliant hotel and worthy of 5 stars for qualily, cleanliness and value.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view or sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear OttVan Tor,

We do highly appreciate at your kind note sharing your stay experience at The IMPERIAL Hotel Vung Tau. It is our great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed our services and facilities. Your note helps us to identify the problems and take actions accordingly for improvement.

Again, thank you very much for your time and we are looking to welcoming you back to Vung Tau and stay with us in near future.

With our best regards,

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Good quality-cost
This heavily decorated faux Louis 16 style hotel is somewhat too busy for my eyes and does not fit with the rest of the Vung Tau area, which is still poor and underdeveloped. This is what I called the bad taste of the nouvelle bourgeoisie post-war.
Nonetheless, this is the third time that I selected this hotel for a family vacation for the following reasons:
- This is the most comfortable hotel in the Back Beach in Vung Tau and I am happy to offer my family a decent place to relax by the sea, at a very close distance from Saigon
- It has huge swimming pools including a very long lap pool. The cleanliness of the pool and quality of the water are excellent
- The beach club is a plus of this hotel, offering comfortable cabanas around the main pool by the beach, and has a beach restaurant and bar
- If you buy the hotel VIP card (which is about 5 million VND – or 250$), you can get a couple of free nights during week days, a couple of free cabanas (which can save you about 70$/day), a discount of 40% on spa treatment. The free dinner for two offered by this card is cheap and nothing to rave about, the cake is good.
- The spa is luxurious and the treatments given are professional, and affordable. Moreover, the spa and treatments are available until 10:00 PM at night, which is great. I uses it both days prior to going to bed
- The Victorian suite, which is offered at a discount price (I believe about 150$/night) is comfortable and clean, with a decent beach view
The following points need improvement:
- Language barrier: the staff speak poorly English. I managed to get by because I do speak Vietnamese
- Inexperience: despite their extreme kindness and willingness to please clients, the staff at this hotel do not know how to please the guests and to offer good customer services. They seem to be very inflexible, probably because4 they are not empowered to make arrangements to please the clients. I include some examples:
o I booked 6 rooms for my large family including my aunt who is a nun from Australia. Since the room booked included 2 breakfasts for 2 people each day, we had 2 extra breakfasts that we did not use as my aunt stayed in that room by herself. The next day 2 other family members came from HCM and had buffet breakfast with us. The hotel wanted to charge me 15$ times 2 for these 2 breakfasts. I kindly requested them to take the unused portion in my aunts’ room, and this proposal was turned down by the reception staff, who knows very well that we are return clients who booked 6 rooms for the third time already. The reception staff told me to talk to the restaurant staff. I talked to the reception lady at the restaurant, who did not want to take any decision and asked me to talk to her manager who stood right beside her. I talked to the manager who did not want to take responsibility and said that he can't decide. I asked him who can decide. He said he will check with front desk. I kindly told him that we did not want any free stuff from the hotel, we just want to properly use our unused portions of the breakfasts. He then went to talk to the front desk, who sent a lady to tell me that they will do it this time but not next time. I told her that I travel quite a bit, and in other hotels oversea, what I will receive as answer in a five star hotel is: “we are happy to accommodate your request, please come again!”. The lady seems to be stunned (and somewhat unhappy), and unconvinced of what I told her
o One of the 6 rooms never received cookies at the turn down service each day. When I reported that at check out, the front desk decided to check with the housekeeping staff instead of apologizing to the client. And they got back to me and said that the housekeeping staff confirmed having delivered the cookies each night. I told her that at oversea hotels, they would apologize and offer the kids a bag of cookies to compensate. She looked at me with that stunned look again and reluctantly sent someone to get a box of cookies for us. (this incident made me think of another incident we had at the JW Marriott in Orlando a couple years ago: a cockroach had managed to go into my daughter’s shoe – she removed her shoes when sitting down to have breakfast with us. My daughter screamed when she realized that. The manager came, apologized profusely and gave us a 30% discount on our breakfast, a huge box of cookies and that night, we had a giant basket of snacks delivered to our room, with a note of excuse from the manager)
o At check out, one of the rooms was charged with a large bottle of water which we never took. Once again, the hotel staff chose to believe the housekeeping staff and not us. We decided not to fight that battle and paid since the bottle only costs 4$ I believed.
- The service at the beach restaurant Hai Vuong is extremely slow and the food is expensive. I took them 1.5 hour at lunch time to deliver 6 chicken wings to my kids by the pool, who gobbled them in 2 minutes out of hunger. It took the kitchen another 45 min to come up with a second serving.
Last but not least, the beach has a lot of jelly fish so be careful especially after the rain. I got stung at about a hundred places all over the body and it was quite itchy for a week.
I would think that a hotel of that caliber should send their staff to other 4, 5 star hotels elsewhere in the world to learn better hotel management and improve their services if they are serious about being considered a “Five-star” hotel.
All in all, I would say it was a good quality-cost stay at 600$/night for 15 people (6 rooms) and I would go back again, however the staff needs to be more professional and open to clients suggestions.

Room Tip: All Victorian rooms have a beach view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear michikoQC,

Thank you for taking your time to write a note sharing your experience at The IMPERIAL Hotel during the last visit to Vung Tau. Your comment and feedback at our services and facilities has been investigated and taken necessary actions for immediate improvement especially to the entire management team.

Regarding breakfast service, kindly be reconfirmed that breakfast is complimentary for only registered guests; unregistered guests will be entertained at a minimum charge, which helps to maintain safety and security in the hotel during busy breakfast time at the highest level. At The IMPERIAL Hotel, we do highly recommend our guests to reserve a table in advance if they wish to entertain their visitors for breakfast. However, your situation has been shared to our Food and Beverage team for the possible flexibility in service delivery.

Dear michikoQC, I truly regret that the team did not manage to handle professionally , which made you quite disappointed at our service, which I would like to apologise for. I really hope that we will have another chance to welcome you and your family back to stay with us to experience the better service quality.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With my best regards,

Director of Operations

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!