“Not coming back.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 28 hotels in Haiphong
Vancouver, Canada
“Not coming back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed here for a night and would have stayed for another night until I discovered little ants or flees in the wooden closet and also some ants on the floor. I stayed in the upper rooms and upon entering the room, it looked decent. The bed linens were very clean and the bathroom all appeared to be very clean but the only glitch were the little bugs. I'm absolutely terrified of them and would not be able to sleep knowing that there were little bugs crawling around. Paid around 60$/night which is a bit pricey for this city and it was not worth it at all. I decided to pay a little more than double at harbour view and be a lot more comfortable. I'm pretty sure there are other rooms without bugs and to be sure, double check the wooden closets and look closely. I would expect bugs at a 2 star hotel but not a 4 star hotel where you are paying 1,000,000 dong. That's a lot for some locals!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I looked everywhere for reviews of places to stay in Haiphong and couldn't find anywhere that looked clean and nice within a reasonable price range ($25-40). Tripadvisor apparently doesn't have many visitors going to Haiphong so info was very scarce!

Finally, I found some reviews for this place (and a few others) on Agoda, and their reviewers said the location was good, the staff was helpful and they had a buffet breakfast that actually had food to serve (several other hotels in this price range apparently didn't consistently serve breakfast). We pre-paid $42 on Agoda b/c I didn't feel like messing around with bringing additional cash on our trip -- although I note the real rate for this hotel is $33/night (which I saw on our receipt). And yes, this includes breakfast.

The location is excellent. It's walking distance -- in fact, just one block, to the center plaza in town and the prettier parts of Haiphong with greenery and park areas. We found the staff to be incredibly kind and friendly and welcoming as well. They were also very helpful getting us a taxi in the morning. The breakfast was OK (mostly Asian food), but it was a bit odd b/c we were the only people in an enormous roof-top restaurant and the women serving the buffet stared at us a lot and everyone seemed very uncomfortable.

In general, the hotel seemed very empty. It's quite large; it seems to be in the tallest building in the downtown area. The lobby is very Donald Trump-ish, Chinese-baroque in its styling, and it struck me as rather cheesy in an Asian nouveau-riche sort of way. That said, it was very clean and quiet. Our room was on one of the mid-upper level floors. We were given a coupon for the "spa and sauna" on another floor (open till midnight). Out of sheer curiosity, we checked it out, and it was kind of dingey and cold and creepy and not welcoming or spa-like (in the Western sense) at all. We chose not to partake in its offerings.

Our room itself was clean and simple. However, they do lose one point b/c I ended up with a long Asian hair on my skin (not mine!) after drying off with a towel after a shower. The shower though was very warm with good pressure, and overall it really was very clean except for the hair and a weird welcome mat in the bathroom entry way that looked like something from an outdoor front porch -- and it had seen better days.

The only other bad note was the bed -- although the sheets were very clean, the bed was about as soft as sleeping on a wooden plank or a slab of cement. It was rock hard. The room was also rather cold, and we could not figure out how the heater worked (it was all in Chinese and not user friendly). As a last note, there was a lot of furniture in one small room, and it was laid out very "interestingly." The closet was wedged at the end of the bed, and I can't imagine how you'd get in and out of it if you actually wanted to store clothing in it.

On the whole, it wasn't bad, and I don't think there are many other reasonably priced (mid-range) hotels in Haiphong -- so it's a viable option. I'd stay there again, but just bear in mind that it's really just a place to sleep and no place to rave about.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

13th Floor of course.
Security poor and uncooperative
No assistance with police
No assistance by Haiphong police
Avoid this apparently classy hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel