“Not open to tourists” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Kairouan
Type: Architectural Buildings, Religious Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Though non-Muslims cannot enter this mosque, a look inside the doorway reveals its most noteworthy feature—a motley set of columns relocated from numerous other locations.
London
4 attraction reviews
“Not open to tourists”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Not open to tourists, so don't bother trying to visit

Visited June 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Great place to visit. The oldest mosque in North Africa, so much History there and also some fantastic architecture.

Visited June 2012
Stafford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Well worth the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The mosque is just beautiful to see and well worth the visit. During the summer months it can be quite hot. It is advisable to remember that this is a place of worship and therefore skimpy clothing isn't recommended. However for a modest sum you are offered a garment to wear.

Visited July 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
14 attraction reviews
“Only for muslims”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I knew how important Kairouan and its mosque are, so I wanted to visit it. Maybe I was unlucky, trying to find my way by car (I suppose it could be different with a travel agency). Kairoun is a a big city, crowded, with narrow streets and a terrible traffic. I found a local guide who offered to show me the Medina and the mosque. The Medina itself is not different from any other. I suppose many people come for the rugs, which are marvelous (but a little expensive). I was not interested and got tired of so many sellers trying to push me into buying them (I traveled throughout Tunisia and nowhere else they were so pushy). In the end we got to the mosque. Well, it sure is impressive. Being so old (5th century), and so big, it´s really something to see. Non-muslims are not welcome inside, so I was frustrated and had to just walk around it (it´s interesting anyway, but not worth the trip). So, maybe I was unlucky, but I wouldn´t go there again.

Visited August 2011
Rainham, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I was very excited about visiting here, the fourth most holy site in Islam! However, I was somewhat disappointed by it's lack of tourism (I hate to say it like that) you basically walk in and listen to your tour guide rattle on about the history and that is it! I feel that so much more could have been made of it, with a little more thought.
I found it very tranquil walking around the courtyard myself away from the main group, the architecture is quite stunning in it's simplicity - columns marching into the distance, the minaret at one end with the two etched stones and the prayer hall is humbling.
But the building in itself is it, I really wanted to purchase a Koran from the Great Mosque at Kairouan as it would have had such an amazing story attached to it. However, there is no souvenir shop / kiosk or similar there. Obviously I can understand that it could be construed as disrespectful to have something like that but that is my personal opinion.
I would still recommend going so you can say you have seen it but I did have higher expectations.

Visited April 2012