“Lovely and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 53 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Lovely and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here for three nights in mid February with two friends and had a great time. Rob is a wonderful host. Make sure you get him to take you on a tour - he knows all the best places to go and is incredibly knowledgeable. His wife is an excellent cook and prepared some of the best Thai food I have ever had (best part is that she doesn't use MSG at all). The rooms themselves are clean and well kept. The place itself is out of the town core (about a 30 minute walk, easy scooter ride, or Rob will drive you in for a fee), but that is part of its charm! If you're looking for a more relaxing and quiet experience and to get out of the city, then definitely choose this place!

Also Rob always asks if you'd like something besides the continental breakfast so I'm not too sure why the other reviewer would say that.

Room Tip: Make sure you book through Amy's Earth House website - you'll get a better rate!
Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear tstuze,
What a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Amy's Earth House. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here.

Good to know that you liked the sightseeing tips I gave you, I like people to see things that aren't in the travel guides.
Netty says "Of course I don't use MSG — completely unnecessary! Glad you enjoyed my cooking!"
... and yes, of course we always ask *what* guests would like for breakfast.
We look forward to seeing you at Amy's again ...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dorset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Having arrived early we chilled in the beautiful tree house looking out over the mountains it was the perfect setting with a relaxing yet sociable vibe. It's the perfect distance from town for some peace and quiet but yet still easily accessible by bike.
The owner was very accommodating and helpful and his wife cooked the best food we've had in South East Asia. Breakfast was also something we looked forward to each morning, even our late night request of porridge was no problem.
The hot shower in the outdoor bathroom is the best wake up every morning
Brilliant value for money!
We will definitely be returning to Amy's in the future and couldn't recommend it enough.

Stayed January 2014
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Grace M,

I'm very grateful for such a positive review and extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It's great to hear that we were able to fulfil your expectations; it's you, the guest who is most important at Amy's.
Netty was proud to receive your compliment about her cooking! We are both happy to hear that you enjoyed it.
We hope you'll return soon and we look forward to welcoming you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

See the myst rise in the morning, overlooking the valley while enjoying breakfast, relax in the tree house and try the fantastic Thai meals in the evening. During the three days my girlfriend and I stayed there, we've grown quite fond of Amy's earth houses. The earth houses are basic but very charming. Rob is a great host, always very helpful and generous, his wife is a very gifted cook. Make sure to check the excellent area guide, written by Rob.
On a side note: do not forget that you'll stay in earth houses, do not expect a luxurious 5 star resort. The bed was a bit squeaky and the bathroom was also home to some ants. If you can live with that, this is the best stay near Pai.

• Stayed January 2014
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear TimBleeker, I'm very grateful for such a positive review and extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It's brilliant that we fulfilled your expectations and I will make sure that Netty is aware of your compliments about her cooking.
Ants can be a nuisance anywhere in the world, but I sometimes get the impression that they are particularly annoying here in Thailand, they invade televisions, coffee pots and – as you've observed – bathrooms. We do check the rooms regularly for them and if guests find ants in their bathrooms, we will remove them as quickly as possible. Please inform us of the problem next time.
Rugby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights in December 2013. It's a really beautiful place to stay and pretty peaceful. There are nice walks you can do or just laze around and read a book. The owner Rob lent us some bikes to ride up to the viewpoint. They weren't in the best condition but also could have been worse and we didn't get charged for them. I would say if you are staying here you probably want your own transport (even just bikes) as getting into and out of Pai can be a pain even though it isn't that far. Taxis are hard to find after about 9pm in town. If you want to generally be around nature then this is the place for you. If you want to party it up in Pai then it isn't! Rob does go out of his way to organise things for you and knows a lot about local trips etc which was really helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was closest to where the owners live meaning it was a bit noisier than the rest.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie_Welford
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to Amy's Earth House. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the peace and quiet here.
Taxis can be difficult to find at night in Pai, although we have a '24/7 service' in town, they do seem to go missing more often than they should. This does sometimes result in the fact that Amy's is not the best base for partying in town sometimes.
It is always best for guests staying in Pai to have some form of transportation. The nearest sights are seven kilometres from town, with the most impressive sights being between 16 and 40 km from town. In comparison, the six minutes to Amy's are just a hop, skip and a jump away.
We apologise, if noise from the main house disturbed your rest. We'll take steps to reduce it in future.
Montréal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed 2 night here and we enjoyed our stay. The owner was friendly and very helpful (especially for the secret hot spring... ask!). The food way very good and we enjoyed to talk with him on different subjects. The place is located 5 min. from downtown. It could be a problem if you have no transportation but for us we came to Pai with a motorbike so the location was just perfect to be outside the crowd and get away from noise of the town. That's the secret for us to enjoy Pai: 5 min. away from downtown, you get easily acces to downtown, and you enjoy the peace of Amy's earth house location. A very good place to stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear djeg72

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review of Amy's Earth House, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mention, we are just a six-minute ride from town and many of our guests are thankful to get away from the hustle and bustle there.
Netty was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed her cooking and says thank you for mentioning it.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Thailand and look forward to perhaps seeing you again on your next visit.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed there for a few days last month but soon moved into the centre of Pai (as this accommodation as about 10 min scooter ride out of town), I actually found that the accommodation slap bang in the centre of Pai was actually a lot quieter than Amy's Earth House. The bungalows are nice looking but the walls are not actually attached to the roof so you can literally hear everything your neighbours do (the buildings are very close together), whether they are whispering or using the toilet. This also meant that ants, cats and mossys can get into your room too (there are mossy nets over the bed but be sure to bring some thread to stitch up the holes).

I read on one of the review sites that the bungalows have an "open air toilet", I personally would call it a hole in the roof. The shower was located over a very strangely placed mud patch, which of course went everywhere when you try to wash yourself. Our bathroom was also dirty and covered in leaves.

Was left feeling confused about the catering at this resort as every morning we were greeted by a pile of cold toast and some tea without milk or sugar, when I asked for some I felt like this was a huge inconvenience for the host. I never once saw a menu or was even made aware that anything other than toast came out the kitchen until my last day when I heard other guests were offered a full english breakfast. What is so hard about putting a menu on the one and only breakfast table?

There was no effort to clean or make the room up before our arrival, even the "complimentary" bottle of water was empty. I don't understand why there is so many good reviews on this place, I can honestly say it was the worst place I stayed in while in Thailand.

P.s Who is Amy?

Room Tip: Go into Pai centre or just over the bridge, it is walkable and prices remain cheap all round Pai.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear 278BobbyB

Oh dear, I'm sad to hear that we failed so abominably at creating a pleasant atmosphere for you at Amy's Earth House. You leave no clues as to who you really are — we have no trace of BobbyB in our booking records and no one complained to any of our staff personally about anything not being in order.

If guests complain directly to us, we always do our utmost to rectify matters immediately — for our guests, nothing is too much; not repairing mosquito nets, not preventing cats from entering rooms and not serving sugar and milk when requested.

The shower area in the bathrooms is open to the sky. The flimsy walls that once existed were rebuilt and partially roofed, when guests feared for their modesty. The unroofed area does allow leaves to fall onto the bathroom floor from the surrounding trees and in autumn, sadly, leaves are constantly falling.
The planted area under the showers helps clean the tensides from the water, so that the ground water isn't polluted. We have had no complaints about it before.

I can assure you that your room was freshly made up before you arrived (otherwise there would have been no bed-linen on the bed as we strip the beds immediately when guests leave). I apologise for the fact that your water bottle was empty, that was obviously an oversight when the room was made up.

On our own web site and on the the various booking-sites, we make our guests aware of the fact that continental breakfast is free of charge. Our toast is served fresh from the toasters on heated plates, however, due to early-morning-temperatures, it does get cold quickly. Something we are unable to alter.
Signs on the Earth House doors explain that American, English and Thai breakfast are also available upon request. We shall, however, follow your suggestion and create a breakfast menu for the tables. Thank you for the tip.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry you feel that Amy's was't such a good choice. Luckily, as you can see by the reviews on this and other sites, 99% of our guest don't share your views. However, we take all criticism constructively and shall look into matters.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I spent 8 nights at Amy's Earth House and it was great. Rob the owner is very hospitable and provides everything you ask for very promptly and always with a dash of humor. He gave extra blankets, personally chopped fresh coconuts for me in the morning, took me around the area to the waterfalls and hot springs, listened to all my chatter and stories without once rolling his eyes, and was very amiable and chatty and helpful about everything in general.

The mud-house is beautiful, with the colored recycled glass bottles shining beautifully in the day. It is also very clean inside. Rob does his best to follow ecological principles at Amy's Earth House. Even the water heater is an eco water heater!!! There is a charming little tree house where you can rest and admire the mountain top scenery, and an even more charming cat there called Alex who'll find every opportunity to jump into your lap and snuggle there. ;-)

Even though it's about 4km away from town which makes it not so convenient if you don't have a motorbike, you only need to walk about 1 to 2km and 8 times out of 10, some friendly local passing by on a motorbike will offer to give you a lift to town. Rob also provides mountain bikes at the guesthouse which I used to explore the area.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at Amy's and Rob genuinely cares about giving each person a great experience.

P.S. You can donate my jacket to Alex, Rob!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Rob H, Manager at Amy's Earth House, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Cassandra_Lim
Alex would like to say thank you for his new jacket; Netty and I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.
We are happy in the knowledge that you enjoyed your break at Amy's and can assure you that there was never cause to roll our eyes!
Thank you too, for commenting on our ecological mindset — Some guests notice, most guests, sadly, give their surroundings no thought whatsoever. We're glad you appreciated it.
Come again soon!

Been to Amy's Earth House? Share your experiences!