“Perfect Private Ride in a Spectacular setting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 30 things to do in Pai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Thom's was the first elephant camp in Thailand where visitors could ride elephants without a seat, play with them and swin together in the river. Thom grew up with her elephants, played with them as a child, and knows how much fun it is to spend the time with these wonderful animals. Thom's father was also an experienced trainer of young elephants and passed on his knowledge to Thom. Thom's Elephant Camp also offers specialist Mahout Training Courses. It starts with the introduction into elephant care, the verbal and body language to communicate with the elephants, followed by hand on practises. How to ride, play, feed, bath and take care of the elephants. Thom's Elephant Camp also offers beautiful bungalows and accomodation, mineral hot tub and spa retreat, Organic Farming and Mahout Course, sight seeing tours and of course wonderful elephant mountain and river treks.
Ottawa, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Perfect Private Ride in a Spectacular setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We took our own elephant out for three hours which was too long bare back. We took her to the top of the mountains where the view were breathtaking with all the mountains and river below. We then went into the river for a swim with it which was great. We are seniors not in great shape and managed ok. If you take one out do not go more than two hours as they will come back after two hours even though you paid for 3.

It was worth the experience

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
12 attraction reviews
“The First Volunteer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I just had the most wonderful experience of being the first volunteer at thoms camp. The work was varied and exciting,sometimes hard and sometimes v chilled. It varied from cutting and carrying bamboo with the mahouts!who are all very happy ,helpful and hard working..Feeding the elephants,shovelling dung,gardening ,fixing stuff and helping talk to the guests and helping with e mails etc....It is like one big family and everyone is extremely kind .Teaching some English is always welcome and fun and food is always available...a trip to town is a bike ride away and the hot spas are fantastic....The elephants are all well loved and treated well,being fed watered and washed 24..7. I must say that the so called do gooders who stand there and cry and moan about the elephants being tied up really should do there homework as to what is happening with elephants in Thailand before judging the situation .i was also amazed that these are the people who didn't contribute at all,even a banana while sipping on a Chang In between moans lol. Ok moan over .I really hope that what they are all trying to achieve at the camp ( To become a national park and safe haven for elephants comes to fruition). Asian elephants are fast becoming an endangered species so please give an elephant a banana and save one today....Thank again to all. Sebastian

Hue, Vietnam
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went to thoms elephant camp last week and stayed one night. The elephants are amazing an so well looked after. We rode on tutdao who we loved, she is the biggest elephant and has the best walk/strut. Getting in the river with the elephants was the best part. I would probably say an hours ride on the elephant is enough as it can be quite uncomfortable. Also we are a young couple and the rafting bored us, although it was very peaceful we would of rather spent more time seeing the elephants. There are two reasons I didn't give this a 5 star an the first is there was no set plan, we weren't given or told anything to say what time lunch was, rafting, what time the elephants went to bed. We missed taking them up into the jungle because of this as we went out for food to a resort across the road and when we got back just after 5pm they had already left. We were very upset about this. Another thing is there was nothing for us to do after 6. There was nowhere near by for us to walk to, our tv didn't work so we were sat in the room from 6.30. By 8pm we were hungry and there was nowhere for us to go. My advice would be, if you want to stay here, to hire a motorbike so you can do your own thing and not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no means of getting around. Other than that the staff are very friendly and the experience with the elephants was one we will never forget.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“A must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I originally booked 1 night/1 day mahout training at this elephant camp. I ended up staying 4 nights and 4 days because it was absolutely perfect. The elephants and all the staff are like one big family. Thom herself is an amazing passionate woman who loves these elephans. Pai is a stunning place and they really treated me like one of the family. Feeding the elephants, putting them to bed in the mountains, washing them, and taking care of them was something I will never forget.
I walked them to the river where they went 3 times a day, they are really well looked after which was important to me. You can tell how affectionate the elephants are by the way they also treat you. My favourite, Ot, would be so happy to see me she would always flap her ears, wag her tail and pick me up to hug me. I fell in love with this place and with the elephants! thank you Thom for a truly unforgettable experience.

Visited October 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I did the full day & a night at the elephant camp. It was amazing. Pai is a beautiful place & meeting the elephants was superb. Had a lovely trek bare back and then to the river for lots of fun. Cut the food & Feed them, and put Elephants to bed in the mountain. All the staff were lovely, and got a great DVD with pictures & video of the day.