“Very nice hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 35 Nong Khai B&B and Inns
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Very nice hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hi made a reservation 2 days in advance and called again from the train station on my arrival to confirm. The friendly staff member who I had spoken to 2 days earlier remembered me, gave directions to the Tuk-Tuk driver to drop me off at a nearby restaurant and came to pick me up from there on his motorbike.
The room wasn't ready when I arrived at 11.30am, but was by 12.
It was a comfortable room, nothing fancy but a large bed, TV, AC, powerful and spacious shower and free wifi. The highlight was the balcony overlooking the Meekhong River.
Overall a very nice place to stay that is pretty cheap too. My double room cost 700B with river views.

Room Tip: Make regular calls to confirm your room booking, the staff were nervous about no-shows on my initial...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

They did it again! We had the manager of a hotel in Vientiane calling to ask for a reservation 3 days in advance, in fluent Thai language. When we arrived on October 31, 2012, no one of the staff or the management remembers about the reservation made. There is a room left, but we won't get it at the same price. We are really deceived by so little commitment and decide to look for another place. So we will discover Mut mee and its beautiful setting at the western end of the riverside.
As said in the review about November 2010, you can not trust the reservation made and accepted by phone. They will rent the room to the first or highest offer...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nong Khai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have family in Nong Khai and whenever I visit I always stay at Baan Mae Rim Nan. Perfectly positioned on the Mekong River with great views of Laos. The staff are always polite and helpful. They will go out of their way to accommodate you with regard to errands or washing. There are many great restaurants within walking distance and you are located on the edge of the amazing Thasadej Market. The rooms are very well presented and very clean. Wifi is free.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and book the riverside rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

In December, I stayed at Baan Mae Rim Nan on the side of the River Mekhong in Nong Khai. The rooms with balconies, overlooking the promendae and river [and Laos !] are great and have nice attached bathrooms. The only downside is that at Baht 700 they are a little overpriced.

Room Tip: Take a room with a balcony. The inside rooms are windowless !
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Khon Kaen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I first noticed this guesthouse on an earlier visit to Nong Khai and made a note of its name as it looked a pleasant place to stay with a good location overlooking The Mekong. A search on Google brought up its website and so in Aug 2010 I turned up and took an upstairs riverview room for 700 Baht. Although the room was bland and in desperate need of a picture or some decoration on the wall, on all other points I had no complaints. As the guesthouse opened less than 2 years ago (at the time of writing) everything worked, with fridge, cable tv, coffee facilities, fan and quiet aircon and a decent hot shower all in good order. Although a few ants kept me company the room was very clean and I was very happy with my stay there.

Fast forward to 26th Nov 2010 and I was visiting Nong Khai again, this time with three friends. In the morning I rang the Baan Mae Rim Nam guesthouse and enquired if they had two 700 Baht upstairs riverview rooms available for two nights but was told they could only manage one night for those particular rooms but they had 500Baht rooms available for both nights. I decided to leave it at that and said I needed talk to my friends first and would maybe ring back later.
On the way to Nong Khai we rang a couple of other guesthouses but were told they were full so we rang the Baan Mae Rim Nam again. This time we were told they could supply one 700Baht room but the other would have to be a 500Baht room. We said that would be fine. About 10 minutes later they rang back and said sorry but there were only 500Baht rooms left. We said no problem. As the guesthouse is on the promenade we left our car down a side street and carried our bags to the guesthouse and booked in. Paperwork completed we were asked for payment. Out of the blue the prices for two downstairs rooms were suddenly 900Baht and 1000Baht. We queried this and were told "500Baht rooms all full". I mentioned their website only indicates rooms are 500Baht and 700Baht and on the phone they had said we could have two 500Baht rooms, but to no avail. In the end we decided to stay for one night as we were unsure what was available elsewhere and didn't want to be traipsing about for an hour.
As for these rooms with their added premium...to my eye the 1000Baht room was virtually identical to the 700Baht upstairs riverview room I had previously stayed in except they had put an extra single bed in. The 900Baht room also looked identical but at least the wall behind the bed had some blue decoration on it which made it look nicer than the 1000Baht room!

I have lived in and traveled around Thailand extensively over the past 2½ years and know these things happen occasionally, whether it be ripoff or misunderstanding and really isn't worth getting upset over. So would I recommend the Baan Mae Rim Nam guesthouse? If you can get a room at the right price, then yes, a perfectly decent place to stay. If you have the same experience as me then it's your decision on what you do. Pesonally I will be taking my business elsewhere on my next visit to Nong Khai.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This guest house is called the Baan Mae Rim Nam and overlooks the Mekong river. I found details of it from searching on the internet for places to stay in Nong Khai, but didn't book in advance as I couldn't find any reviews and wanted to check it out before we stayed there.

It was difficult to find as it is on a pedestrian walkway between the Tha Sadet market and the Mekong river. We were in a car and you can't drive down there as the market is also pedestrianised. If you find the main post office in Nong Khai and then walk down towards the river, you will come out very near to the guest house.

The guest house doesn't do any food, but there are plenty of places to eat nearby on the river front and in the market.

We stayed in a lot of different types of places in Thailand ranging from resorts to basic guest houses. This was probably my favourite place to stay in Thailand, equal with the Rachawadee Resort in Khon Kaen.

What made if for me were the rooms with balconies overlooking the river. Half the rooms are at the front overlooking the river and the other half are at the back. Personally, I wouldn't stay here if you can't get a room overlooking the river as that is what makes the place special. The rooms themselves are fine. They aren't very big but the bathroom was nice. However the whole of the front of the room is glazed so you have views onto the river. You can also open the doors to get onto your private balcony.

It is in a central location, near all the shops.

It wasn't ideal for a family with young children as there were no connecting rooms. Although there was one larger room, it was on the ground floor so people could look in, so we decided to get 2 doubles on the floor above. The rooms were 700 baht each and had aircon, fridges and tv (which was useful for watching the video we'd taken). There was free wifi but the signal wasn't great.

We only stayed one night as we had limited time. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Baan Mae Rim Nan? Share your experiences!