“Heaven on Earth, but too far from having options for dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort
You added Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort to your Saves list
40/5 M.3 | P.O. Box 8, Koh Tao, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #37 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
London
“Heaven on Earth, but too far from having options for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

So the only reason I went to this resort is because my awesome friend Kunpiya is a dive instructor who taught me how to dive at this resort.
You can spend all day snorkeling on the little reef in the bay. We have seen black tip reef shark swim by us.. it was awesome.

To get to the hotel, you have to walk down to the dive shop, and they arrange a pickup to take you to the hotel about 30 minutes away. Part of the road is non existent, so I would'nt suggest this hotel to anyone who has a weak stomach. But I found it exiting and felt as if at any moment we might just fall off the bumpy roads and off the cliff... he he

The rooms are average, I think the main problem for me is that I got badly bitten for three nights that I spent there. Not by mosquitos unfortunetly, but by two different kinds of insects that look like beetles. The owners gave us a slight discount to make up for it. But I just wanted them to fix the problem for future residents. My back, hands and face were bitten and I had large swellings and didnt sleep those nights. After that however it got better.. I was only bitten once or twice in a night.. on the rest of the nights. They sprayed the room and as did I with some bug spray.. but the wood has spaces and cracks through which the bugs get in..

The diving in Koh Toa is amazing we saw whale shark on two dives. For those who have never been diving though, beware of sea lice that are invisible to me but sting and these little blue fish called cleaner rass/bass.. they tend to nibble at your open wounds or ears.. next time I wont wear a shortie.

The food is yummy my favorite was the Thai style steak, and the Massaman Curry.. Near by there are two other hotels with restaurants. no night clubs its mainly just a Diving BAY..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I loved being on the secluded side of Ko Tao. The beach was lovely, the scuba-diving and snorkeling was perfect and the hammocks all over the property made me never want to leave. The shower water was warm at first and the bungalows are lovely. The biggest complaint was that after a grueling trip on a vomit-filled ferry followed by a looong bumpy ride in the back of a truck, we were exhausted and nauseasous and NEEDED to rest and freshen up. However even though we'd arrived with reservations in advance well after check-in time, our rooms weren't ready. We had to wait around outside with all our luggage for an hour. Also, their laundry service left something to be desired.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed 4 nights in the Black Tip Resort on Koh Tao. And what a great time we had!
The hotel is situated in the Tanote Bay, which in my opinion is the nicest bay on the whole island. Went snorkeling and diving and had a great time.

Hotel:
Nice and clean bungalows. We had a bungalow with a fan which was absolutely efficient enough. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The pressure of the shower was not that good but you managed to get clean eventually :-) Mosquito shields were installed in every window and you have a nice little terrace. Be advised that due to the small land mass water shortage can occur, so use the water economically.
The room was cleaned whenever you wanted it to be. The staff was very friendly and funny. Most of the staff in the restaurant didn't speak english that well but the menue was huge and the food was great (never had any sickness problems). The receptionists spoke english fluently and was very helpful.
The pool is reserved to diving instructions in the afternoon. When we were there in February we never saw more than 20ppl lying on the beach in this bay.

Diving:
We only had time to take the "Discover Scuba Diving" course. The underwater environment is magnificant and the guides really take care of it and inform you about the policies. The course was great and our instructor (Australian) very friendly and helpful. Safety is a top priority and in the group it was just my girlfriend and I.

How to get there:
When you arrive with the ferry you can just take a pick-up taxi or arrange pick-up with the hotel. We paid 50 bht per person. The road are catastrophic and it's an advanture getting there (especially by night).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

I took my PADI OW here and I enjoyed every single minute. The hotel is located away from the crowds (pros & cons) with a nice beach. The bungalow was nice and clean - bathroom better than expected (absolutely worth the price). The mattress a little hard, however you are almost asleep before your head hits the pillow after a long day of diving :) Lunch and dinner is superb (thai food), took a couple of days before I managed to get a decent breakfast (language problems...). Really nice staff and professional diveteam.

• Stayed September 2007
Riederich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Just came back from my Thailand Trip.
I stayed 8 nights with the black tip divers. The bay itself is very beautiful but there service is terrible! Since they are mostly full booked the year around, they don’t care. So don’t expect a service for your 20 € a knight!
Also the dive with them is not well organized. The dive master are mostly unmotivated und have no contract whatsoever. They have 3 dives a day 14 days before they get a day of! Of course they don’t care much. But this can be a Sirius problem since my girlfriend refused to dive behind the guide trough a cave you couldn’t see the end, and the dive trough where very small. Make sure you take the responsibility for what you are doing. By the way the spots aren’t that exciting anymore!

.. there are 4 other resorts in this bay...

have fun

Martin

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the people
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Do not stay here if you don't intend to dive - we were treated like second class citizens. Our mistake I suppose, but they were still willing to take our money rather than say they were full.

We stayed in hut for 600 Baht. Nice view is about the only nice thing. Yeh, 600 Baht is quite cheap, but not as cheap as some brilliant places we stayed. Our hut was dirty and sparsely furnished. The bathroom look like it had never been cleaned. The fan broke during the night, shuddering to dump 10 years of dust and dirt all over us in our sleep! Urgh! We only managed 2 nights before moving.

Most of the staff were uninterested at best, arogant and unhelpful at worst!

The pool was reseved for dive lessons - fair enough, but both days they were in there well after the scheduled times!

We were quite glad when their snorkling trip was fully booked and they booked us on one from the pier - which was great (Golden Travel), with only 9 of us, on a fab boat with proper sundeck and proper food!

If you do stay here - there are better food options down the beack Poseidon was great!

Stayed August 2008
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed here for 7 days and wanted to chill. You can definately chill here, but it really is a place for divers who have worn themselves out in the day and want an early night.
The beach (and some fantastic snorkelling) and actual resort were clean, but the back of it was a bit messy with rubblish and ongoing building works. The restaurant did very good food, but the TV was on all the time and It would have been nice to have a litle music rather than football or Thai soaps. The staff were friendly and the bungalow was clean, which we shared with lizards. You do have to rely on taxis if you want to anywhere, as it is not an easy walking island as nothing is really signposted.
I know the resort is keen on environmental issues, but I think it is a growing resort and unless something is done about K T in general it will look like the rest of the over crowded and touristy Thai islands. Dirty Nellies has already arrived and shirtless brits on motorbikes a plenty. Give it a try and make your own mind up as this is my very subjective view.

• Liked — good food
  • Disliked — messy at the back
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort? Share your experiences!