“Amazing Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
Ireland
“Amazing Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I went here during a trip around Thailand with some friends and we booked the 4 day open water course. I'm not the best swimmer in the world and cant thread water so I wasn't really looking forward to it and thought I probably wouldn't do it. Anyway we met our instructor, David Cohen, and after I'd watched the video I had my mind made up that I wasn't going to do it! But I went along and geared up and said I'd try the pool first. When it came to it I was scared to jump into the pool with all the gear on but eventually I just went for it! Long story short scuba diving was amazing, best thing I've ever done. And you don't need to swim to be able to do it! David was great, very friendly and made us all feel calm made sure we knew all that we needed to know. A few of us panicked under water when you have to take your mask off, and put it on again and take the water out but he was great with us and we all did it after without panicking! I'd really recommend David and you should definitely ask for him when you go there.
The rooms aren't great to be honest , unless you pay more for the nice ones, but you will hardly be there as you'll be out at the course most of the day. Great experience with a great instructor. overall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I came to Koh Tao specifically to get open water certified and I left very pleased!!! Our instructor, Rich McLean, explained everything in detail. He was easy to understand and his directions were easy to follow. I was nervous before the course but by the time I did my first dive I was feeling confident and comfortable with it. Before each dive he would walk us through exactly what we would be doing in the water making sure everyone was on the same page. Keeping us safe was top priority followed by having fun. I came for the 4 day open water course, i ended up staying another 2 days to complete the advanced course. Yes, the all around experience was that awesome!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here as part of our backpacking trip. We were not diving here so did not experience if that was any good or not.
We ended up choosing here as it was cheap compared to some of the bungalows around the area which were not very good and around the same price.
The staff here are quite nice and most languages are welcome here due to the diving courses they offer.
There is also 2 swimming pools here although the bottom one was filthy and looked unhealthy to get into the top pool is really pretty and much cleaner.
There is also a restaurant/bar on the beach at the bottom of the resort which does great food at quite good prices.
We paid for a basic air con/ fan room here which was great value for money but I felt compared to the rest of the resort the basic rooms could do with a refurb as they are quite uncared for. Also the wardrobe in our room had it's handles torn off which is fine this sort of thing doesn't bother me but as I went to hang my towel up I shut the door and there was spikes hanging out the door which I cut myself on which I thought was a pretty careless thing of the hotel to leave.
Other then that loved the resort and koh Tao is a beautiful island.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

As group of three friends we signed for open water course we got very nice 3 person room - big new room with AC and TV. During the course we got all needed stuff most of it was new, the course it self was well prepared. Our instructor was David Cohen - really nice man, the theory was explained properly and was very fun even in the class lessons. I felt very confident dive with him. Recommend to take him if you can. Any way, don't forget to breave.

• Stayed December 2013
Khomas Region, Namibia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Really recommend David Cohen,
We are a group of 4 people that doing the Open Water + Advanced, all of us are really happy and satisfied with his work.
Very good guide, Funny, helpful and paying attention to everyone.

Other than that, no WiFi in the room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for 6nights to do or open water and advanced diving. Our instructors for both were amazing, highly recommend Steve and John . Both were very professional, safe and put me completely at ease. We were very lucky with our open water as we also had Sabine and Ollie, new instructors and Olivia a dive master to help out, they did a great job.
The diving is busy but understandably as the location/ dive sites you visit are great. The beach is truly impressive as well, we had some fantastic weather got to kayak to koh nang yuang, definitely recommend this too.
The room we stayed in was pretty basic and on arrival had a massive lizard (40cm+) inside which we managed to sweep outside with some staff help. The shower water smelt a bit like crap, it was a basic room which for a backpacker is fine but if you're not there to dive I suggest upgrading.

Room Tip: Go for a room with aircon and a hot shower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

it was amazing! the instructor Shay Nevo was really good and caring!
would recommend everyone to go take there diving course there and in particular with Shay!
the hotel and hotel rest was really good to!

Room Tip: deluxe pool view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ban's Diving Resort? Share your experiences!