“Only for divers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 46 hotels in Ko Tao
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
“Only for divers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Great resort if you want to get your padi. The two pools were packed with divers all the time. No room enough for swimming. Beware of that. Don't go to koh tao if you are a certified diver. The dives were very disappointing. Nothing to see there. Overall it was a great vacation. Nice staff and a great (family)room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
groningen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

In 2006 i went to this place for my first dive instructions, four years later i went back together with my girlfreind.
When we arrived with the Lomprayah the pick up truck was waiting for us to bring us to the hotel. At the hotel we were welkomed very enthousiatic en we booked our dive and hotel en we could change the courses to fit it for us both.
Since 2006 they build a extra pool en new villa's. We took an new villa with an fantastic view over the bay, ik is great waking u in the morning with such a view.
The dive course is good, they really take care of you and give good safety instructions.

At the restaurant you can eat good but we only took the brakfast here becourse we liked to walk the boulevard en eat in other restaurants.

We liked the fruitshakes! especially when you return from a dive the cool fruitshake nothing is nicer.

Room Tip: you get a big discount on your room when booking a dive course
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was a big dissapointed to noticed that only diving is the most important bussiness at Bans, boats are completely full with students, dive sites are over crowed, pools should be called diving instruction pools, since no swimming is possible because they are fully occupied with diving instructors and students. If you want to dive in combination with relaxing, sunbathing and swimming by the pool , than Bans is not your resort. cerificationv

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Shenzhen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I saw this resort whilst researching for hotels, and I remember going to it last year to get my PADI open water.

I had a good time here, I went just two days after the full moon festival and it was full of backpackers and young college students - I felt a little out of place.

Getting there was a bit of an adventure, went from the airport transit bus to ferry and then ferry to island. Geez, it was tough but finally made it after a bumby ride in a ute from the ferry stop to Bans Diving resort.

I stayed in the newly renovated section, the walk up the hill was annoying but at least it was not shared accomodation and had a/c plus hot water.

I had a good time and it was relaxing and I would recommend others - just the laid back sunshine and beach atmosphere made it all. The dive and classroom training, accomodation and food is so so but what do you expect when your paying a fraction of the price to get your PADI license?

Overall, it was a good break and I want to go back to get my Advanced license!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed in Ban's while we were doing our PADI (Open Water) and were very happy with the experience. This is one of the places where the PADI is cheapest in South East Asia (around 220 euros per person), and the accommodation is included. We stayed in nice clean room, with AC and satellite TV. All the instructors are very professional and you always feel safe. The people who run the place are extremely professional and helped us to enjoy our stay.
Location is good, next to restaurants and a nice beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Genoa, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Hello,
Read it carrefully if you project to get divemaster with Ban's.
I know this diving shop since 5 years when it was very smaller. I did my divemaster 2 years ago and they said, like other dive's shop in Ko Tao: "If you get your divemaster here, you will have free dives for the rest in your life in your center".
So, I came back in July but the speach changed. They said: "Sorry, you can have free dives but you have to work for us". I replied: "But I don't know this dive site well (my last dive there was 2 years ago)" and they said "No problem!".
That means:
-First, You can't trust them
-Second, you can work for them for free, without insurrance and without strong knowledge of the dive site.
Alban Humblet from Switzerland

So, it looks very efficient abd trusfull but it's not! Sorry for the instructors that are very nice and professionnal but I talk about the management.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We got on the ferry to Koh tao, not intending to do our diving, but then a guy from Bans came over and talked to us and we thought we'd give it a try. We arrived at Bans and payed a deposit for our Open Water and was shown to our room which was really nice. We then started the diving and our instructor was Anthony, who has been voted one of the top 5 dive instructors in the world and not without reason. The diving and service we received was incredible, and one of the best experiences we've ever had. We ended up going on to our Advanced diving and didn't want to leave at all!!! We've been back in the U.K 3 days and we're already organising our return!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ban's Diving Resort? Share your experiences!