“A great experience from start to finish” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   21/2 Moo 3, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
4.5 of 5 stars 509 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“A great experience from start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We just spent the 1st week of our honeymoon at Jamahkiri, and had a wonderful all-round experience from start to finish. We were greeted by the excellent, friendly reception staff upon our arrival and shown to our deluxe room (number 9) which was a great size and had the most breathtaking sea views with balcony (pls be warned however that this hotel is not the most suitable choice for the elderly or infirm as there are lots - and lots - of steps on the resort as it is built into the mountainside).
The decor of the room was not ultra-modern, but this only added to the charm of the place for us, as we wanted to feel like we were in Thailand and not sitting in an IKEA showroom - a look which some of Thailand's more modern resorts seem to go for.
The pool area is beautiful and the water temperature is incredibly inviting - to make things even better, the resort was pretty quiet when we stayed and at most times it was like having the place to yourself.
The host and hotel manager William is an absolute star - a real character who not only ensures you get great service and useful information, but does so with the ultimate charm and grace.
Every member of staff we encountered on the resort - from the waiting staff to the cleaning staff - were always courteous and helpful and offered excellent service whilst making you feel like like you weren't 'just another guest'.
If I had on small criticism, it was that the room smelt heavily of chemicals on our arrival. Not sure if this was wood-polish or insect repellent, but we felt like a more organic treatment would have made for a more pleasant welcome to our room.
Top recommendations are; visit the brilliant Eagle View restaurant (situated just behind the hotel) for a real traditional thai home-style dining experience, where you can enjoy a fantastic home-cooked meal for around £2! The views from this tree-top hut are probably the best you'll find on the island.
The nearby hotel - Haad tien - has a really good restaurant which is open to non-guests and is worth a visit.
HIre a bike from Lederhosen; they're not the cheapest on the island (we paid 800baht per day - around £18) for a 300cc quad, but the bikes are really well maintained and we felt more than comfortable leaving our passports with them as 'insurance'. I hasten to add that they do a condition check before the bikes go out and there were no 'games' on returning them (which you can find with some companies).
Also check out the little vegan cafe/aromatherapy shop in Mae Haad which is located just up the street from the Safety Stop pub. It's run by a lovely ex-pat lady who makes delicious gourmet bean salads and veggie-wraps for when you're wanting a break from Thai Cuisine. They make a really refreshing lunch time snack.

Room Tip: We went for one of the deluxe suite pavillion rooms and were more than happy with our choice. Just b...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I've have stayed in many great hotels around the world, for me this one was one of the best! Nearly 30 hours of travelling from home in the uk, we arrived at the ferry port in Koh Tao with our two children 12 &15. From that moment on the service for 4 days was amazing.
The food is of an international standard and the staff in the restaurant are excellent.
William (the manager) and his staff really went out of their way to look after us. The hotel was quite full yet we still felt like the staff were just there to look after us! In reception and by the pool the staff were great with kids!

The hotel has a private junk which is great! My son and I dived severel times with "Stony" who my son thought was a legend! We are both advanced open water divers. The diving on the island is fantastic. "White rock" being our highlight!
I would really recommend the snorkelling trip on their private junk, which we did as a family and had the junk to ourselves. the captain who I think lives on the boat (doesn't speak any English), really nice man! met us at at 7am and took us snokelling with the black tip sharks, I would really recommend this if you dare! Chance of a life time!

The kids loved the tv/Internet room which is off the restaurant, they could update their Facebook each evening.

This is the fist time I've written a review, but I felt compelled to say how good this place is! We would love to go back!

I would say 3 to 5 days is perfect here, It's not the cheapest and my wife didn't enjoy the drive into the hotel, 10 mins on a bumpy track (but the kids and I loved it!) the hotel is built on the cliff face so there are steps everywhere, this makes the views amazing!

Overall our stay was magical and we will definitely go back one day!
Thank you to William and all the staff!

• Stayed February 2012
jamahkiri, Manager at Jamahkiri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your comments have been shared with the team.
And thank you so much for staying with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed all over Thailand with work and personal holidays over the past 5 years and this resort is by far the best we have stayed in. The resort is high quality and set in the rock face and reminded us of places on the amalfi coast in Italy.

The hidden gem here is the dive centre. We completed 2 days of diving on our own junk boat with graham the dive instructor. The was by far the highest quality service we have received from a dive school and would have no hesitation in recommending both the dive school and hotel.

Food in the hotel was nice and the hotel were happy to arrange private cars outside of the scheduled free hotel cars to take us around the island.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed very much the relaxing atmosphere and the wonderful view. The staff and the manager William were all very charming people and very helpful. The wifi was down during most of our stay, but it was a problem for the whole island. Access is difficult and taxi can be expensive but the hotel provides free shuttle to the village. We did not venture to the other part of the island, as we had everything we wanted: snorkling, diving and lazy beach/ pool time. We were there during low season so the hotel was not very busy.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmö, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This hotel was semi occupied when we stayed at the hotel and there was a very relaxing and exclusive feeling of staying there. The staff and the hotel manager are very keen on making you feel welcome and they sure succeed. It is situated on cliffs and has long winding stairs between room, restaurant, pool, sea or similar. I would not recommend it for handicaped people or people with physical restraints. However it is in a very beautiful surrounding and the garden is really well taken care of. The beach below can be reached either with help from the free hotel boat shuttle or via a short but steep walk. The beach is really nice and relaxing and the water is really clear and nice. The bay has a big coral reef with a lot of fish. Even sharks and turtles can be seen when snorkelling. The hotel has a private man made beach close the hotel and it is a good place for entering the reef for snorkelling. Hotel restaurant has a good menu and the food is excellent at reasonable prices. Reception staff and hotel manager speaks good english but among other members of the staff the quality varies. The road to the hotel is a steep dirt road and best accessible with 4 wheel drive. This is good in one aspect since it reduces the amount of people going there from the other side of the island (the much more populated main beach). There is a free shuttle from hotel into the main city/beach and it takes about 15 minutes. Taxi also works fine but cost about 300-400 baht one way. If you want party or pubs or shops you will not find this near the hotel. Rather you take the shuttle or a taxi in to Sairee beach for this. A plus for Jamahkiri is also that it is supposed to be the only hotel on the island to have a own suwage cleaning system and a fresh water productions system using salt water. However this is not something described on homepage or similar so I am not sure about the details. But in my mind it is quite important how these 4 and 5 star hotels deal with environmental issues and I recommend Jamahkiri to describe their environmental efforts better in case there are such in place already. Also went diving with the hotels dive master and the hotel dive boat. It is highly recommended and with good quality. To summarize, go to Jamahkiri if you want a very good hotel/spa at an excellent location. Eat good food, enjoy the marine life, the sunsets, the beach and the relaxing environment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed at! The service was great and started already at the ferry pier where we were picked up by the driver and taken to the hotel, which is situated on a cliff on the southern part of the island. It was a dramatic tour to the hotel on the rocky road and we were lucky to sit inside the 4X4 jeep.

The hotel is embedded with gardens and is extremely well managed and looked after. It looks exactly as in the pictures on the homepage. The pool area is perfect with lots of sunbeds, i.e. no need to be afraid that you will not get one. The hotel also has a private small beach with excellent snorkling right from the beach. If you want to go to the beach in Shark Bay there is a free shuttle boat taking you there from the hotel in 3 minutes. It felt very exclusive! The beach is AWESOME. Not at all many people on the beach. A couple of restaurants were available, the small place in the eastern side of the beach was really nice with cheap food despite its looks.

The room was excellent with the greatest sea view I have ever experienced in a hotel from a spacious balcony.

The main restaurant in the hotel is EXCELLENT. The food holds international standards, both the thai dishes and the international cuisine. The hotel manager was there each evening and offered a drink on the house and was chatting to the guests, making the experience very personal. The view from the restaurant is by the way terrific as well. The breakfast was good, not that many items on the buffet though, but since there was sparkling wine one could live with it... :)

When we stayed here in the beginning of February 2012 I guess the hotel was only ~30% occupied which had the sad effect that no-one was eating in the al fresco "The Grill" restaurant and the roof top bar, both with dazzling sea view. The bar tender made marvellous drinks and they have happy hour ever evening. The positive effect of the low occupancy was that it felt like we were owning the entire place! This made it feel like being in paradise.

The only drawback would be the many steps to get from the rooms to the restaurant and the beach. On the other hand it might come handy with some excercise given the wonderful food and drinks in this hotel... I would definitely stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

This place was a waste of time & money on my honeymoon, first, the road was torn down so we had to ride a roller coaster called a pickup car which gave me the worse motion sickness ever, & due to this construction problem we were stuck in the hotel for the whole time we were there.. Second, the hotel is constructed on a mountain with a very steep stairway & the extreme humidly & the nearly zero oxygen level made it very hard to get out side the A/C in the bedroom.. Third, the beach is very not clear or clean, & diving is very worthless if u ever went to a real diving or snorkeling spot, so don't recommend  planning any beach activities while ur staying there.. Four, you need to change money before you go there bec they will definitely try to rip you off, they gave us $3 less rate than everywhere else in Thailand & they said "this is the hotel policy, because we are located in the middle of no where, sorry".. BTW: no hospital on this island.
The spa isn't recommended at all, didn't like the service & the atmosphere, and there was lizards all over the spa..
 On the other side, the hospitality from everyone at the hotel was great, Mr. William is so much fun to be around, he always made us smile.. And the most amazing thing about this place was dinner, the mixed appetizer, the duck spring rolls, chicken satay, & all the main courses we ordered were perfectly cooked. If your not age 50 & up & u'll stay inside ur bedroom don't go :)

• Stayed April 2012
Dear distinguished guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay, indeed we had some memorable moments together.
My apologies for the situation you seemed to have had during your stay that I did not realize. This is not what I expect our guests to have experienced, or the norm as you can read in other reviews.
I am bringing some answers on your four points.
The road is actually under construction, and will be finished in June 2012, this is the reason why we have to use a different access as you know. We provide 5 free shuttles to and from the main town every day.

Jamahkiri Resort is built on a steep hill, this is also why all our accommodations have such a great sea view, April and May are the warmest moths in the Gulf of Thailand (Promised, I did not touch the oxygen). And I do not recommend our place for guests with reduced mobility as mentioned on our website.

What I can say about our small beach is that is raked every morning, at the same time the towels are disposed on the sunbathing chairs.
Snorkeling and kayaking in the bay is so appreciated from our young and older guests, where the attraction is to swim with the black tip shark and so many other fish.
To see some corals, you have to go around the corner by kayak, or make a snorkel tour around the island with our Thai wooden junk to discover all the other bays and beautiful snorkel spots from Koh Tao. Global warming made that the temperature of the South China Sea went up in the 5 past years, killing the corals where depth is limited.
At the diving club we provide a free boat shuttle to the white sandy beach from Thian Og bay only 30 seconds away, very nice place to chill out while drinking a cocktail.

At the reception we arrange for our guests exchange services at the rate of the day from Siam Commercial bank (For you that day 30,58 less 2 Thai Baht 28,58) This was a communication problem, I verified what you concerned and the exchange was made correctly.

Say goodbye to tension and stress in our SPA.
The two open treatment rooms used for the facial massage and body wrap are inside a tropical garden, with the sounds of the flowing water, the birds and cicadas, it will bring you to a relaxed feeling, but affirmative, small gecko’s can come inside, they are completely harmless, they make part of a tropical island.
For a traditional Thai or oil massage we have an air conditioned treatment room.

I am glad that you enjoyed our food at the restaurant, thank you very much for the positive feedback about the kitchen, staff and me.
I hope that we can see you again for lunch or dinner if one day you come back to Koh Tao.
My apologies again for your situation, complete client satisfaction is my goal, by being always available and close to my guests.
You can always contact me at prmanager@jamahkiri.com

Most sincerely

Been to Jamahkiri Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!