“Place not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ko Tao Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   19 / 1 Moo 3 Chalook Baan, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Place not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We have stayed there as it was recommended but finally... it was disappointing. We took mountain view bungalow as it was the only available - it was clean, with nice view and porch, but - very small, average bathrom just splitted by some wall. 500m before on the main road (opposite Bug Bubble diving center) are bungalows for 400-600B depending on season and although we didn't see it - for those who wish to spend all day on the beach, snorkeling and diving this would be much better choice.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are not worth its price. If you wish to stay - choose different one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Thai first
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for two nights in a private room. The rooms are very small (very difficult for two people to change and pack at the same time). The beach is beautiful and the pool is great. Taxis are expensive....100 baht per person to the main beach at night. Sadly the staff dissapointed me on this trip. Not helpful or friendly for our entire stay...on arrival we did not book the free shuttle (make sure you book it a day in advance) because the lady will not pick you up. On arrival we discovered we had been robbed (please be careful on the night bus...sleep holding your bags as I slept with it by my feet and still got robbed), there was no compassion from the lady or any staff for that matter...they just wanted our money and to get us to the room. A man then tried to sell us a diving course and once we said no he no longer wanted to talk to us. No smiles or help from any of the staff. On the last day we wanted to store our luggage and the lady simply said "I shut at 7"...so basically be back or you wont get your luggage. We then saw the shuttle leaving so we tried to jump on it. This particular one was just for the staff...however the man driving simply said 100 baht and then when we asked if this is the free one he simply shut his window pointed to the hotel and drove off. Very dissapointing all in all. Thanks for reading. get

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

They have a sister hotel further up the hill, but we stayed down literally on the beach! You have use of the infinity pool by the beach, which we loved, as well as use of the sister hotel facilities (we did not visit this). There are shared and private dorms with shared bathroom facilities, myself and my partner had a private dorm room which was a bunk bed with lockers and fan. I had read some reviews of the dorms saying they were small and boy they are, you can just about get in the door and jump into bed...but didn't make any odds to me at all, they were cheap and clean and right on the most gorgeous beach in ko tao! Who wants to spend all their time in their room anyway? Used the shower facilities, again clean and no problem at all. Yes, the resort food/drink is slightly more expensive than if you take a small walk to the restaurants/bars a short walk away, but you pay for the convenience of not having to do so if you so wish. We ate here and had a couple of lovely meals, also ate out and found some lovely places within a short walk. All in all a pleasurable stay! I would come back here again, in fact I look forward to! I may treat myself and upgrade to a larger room, certainly if staying for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: if travelling on a budget the dorms are fine, but if more money to play with get a bungalow
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Enjoyed our stay at KoTao Resort. This resort has an upper resort, but we stayed down by the beach (no shuttle required). Our bungalow (duplex) by the beach was great with a nice porch but you can here your neighbors very well. The pool was beautiful, ocean beach was great. We did not eat at the restaurant as we walked down the street to eat at other areas. The front desk staff can improve on being friendlier, especially the small gal, she can use some charm schooling. Nice resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

As with many others- this place is mixed. Mum and I stayed in one of the rustic little huts for the first night. Paid 1800 baht and noticed ants crawling all over my bed within the first hour. The cleaners came and sprayed chemicals all over the room and eliminated them. We went out for the evening to avoid being gassed ourselves. Had an ok nights sleep but the huts are bail, dark, dingy, and the bathroom is just a sectioned off corner of the hut without a ceiling so very intimate when you are staying with your mother... The view from the buts is great, the beach and grounds are lovely and well maintained. Downsides - some of the hotel staff could really do with some truing in customer service. Especially those on reception which is the first face you see. Dear Hotelier - do yourself a favour, take note of some of the comments and get some friendly faces on reception please! On the first morning I woke up to find a cockroach on the bed side cabinet and we asked to move rooms. Living in a hut in the middle of nature, I'm not averse to dealing with the wildlife, but cockroaches are my limits. Thankfully an upgrade room was available (for which we paid extra of course- no offer of discount, in fact, not really an acknowledgement that ants and cockroaches might be an issue. Just those blank faces again from reception staff. We'd come to expect this sort of service by now so were not surprised. We moved into a deluxe room which was more solidly built, felt much cleaner, still the bathroom was in need of some TLC, but after the rustic hut we were grateful for anything else. The good points about this hotel are the pools and grounds. You can use the top pool as well as the lower beach side pool, both are amazing. The hotel offers a free lift to and from the top section of the hotel (although we only found this out by default and not because the friendly (!) helpful front of house staff had offered us this information). The downside is the accommodation itself. Our deluxe room was 1900 but a night and was clean and better size and quiet, however it the deluxe bungalows are all interconnected by a thin door. So if you have a family and rent two rooms- great, you can easily hear and see your family right next door. If however you wish to have privacy and do not wish to be disturbed by a random neighbour in the adjoining room through a thin door, this might be a problem. Thankfully, we had quiet neighbours. Lastly, the lovely cleaners came every day and did a good job of making a slightly tired accommodation as clean a poss. The area is quiet, about a 25 minute walk from the pier, and with enough little carves and eateries nearby to keep you happy for a few days.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

This place had its nice aspects, but also had its drawbacks. My wife and I stayed in two rooms (one 'standard' and one 'superior). I'll try to objectively describe some of the pros and some of the cons.

Pros: Right on the beach -- both of our rooms were set back a little from the beach, but a 20 second walk gets you on the sand looking over a beautiful bay. Quiet atmosphere -- this whole part of the island seemed much quieter than the area where the ferry brings you to the island. Proximity to good food -- I'd steer clear from the resort's restaurant and walk 5-10 minutes back toward the little commercial center where you can find numerous places offering very affordable and tasty food. Free shuttle to/from ferry -- great perk!

Cons: Customer service -- some of the employees were pleasant, but our very first interaction after our shuttle ride from the ferry was with the not-so-pleasant check-in lady. She did not make us feel welcome. When I asked her which of the assorted wifi passwords she showed me would be the one I should use, she simply said "Just try one" with a rather callous and annoyed tone to her voice. Bathroom Facilities -- our bathrooms in both of our rooms had an unclean appearance with water damage evident in the ceilings and sewer flies (and sewer smells!) coming back up through the shower drain. I spent a large portion of my showers just smacking sewer flies against the walls so we weren't overrun by them. General maintenance -- when we moved into our second room, we realized once it got dark that the main lightbulb in our room didn't work. We headed out to dinner and alerted the front desk of our dark room, and they said they would fix it. We came back after dinner to the same problem, and after alerting the front desk again, the housekeeping ladies came to check it out. After they saw the problem and couldn't fix it, they called the maintenance guy, who brought a new bulb over. Quite the ordeal all because the bulb wasn't replaced before we checked in!

Overall, I don't think I'd specifically look to come to this place again if we return to Koh Tao. It was nice to be right by the beach, but there were too many disappointments and it looked like there were many nice places just a little further down the road around the bay.

Room Tip: We really didn't notice a huge difference between the Standard and Superior rooms on the inside...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Bungalows are quite simple. We paid about $45 a night for a small place up the hill. I would be very worried about it leaking but it didn't rain for us. I have found a lot of koh tao places aren't as good as rest of Thailand: this one was no exception. The top section called "paradise zone" is actually really cool thou. Swimming pool on top of hill and great big balcony almost empty all the time- we went there everyday.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ko Tao Resort? Share your experiences!