“Great diving, poor accommodation and service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
You added Crystal Dive Resort to your Saves list
Mae Haad Beach, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Ko Tao
“Great diving, poor accommodation and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

First of all can I start by saying that this was my first experience of diving so I have nothing to compare with but in my opinion the diving was fantastic. I was more than happy with the dive locations, boat trips to and from and the overall safety.

My girlfriend and I signed up to do the open water course online and after reading reviews about the poor accommodation we decided to chance it with an upgrade to an A/C room (300 tbh extra).

We arrived on the day and we were warmly created and everything was explained. Filled in the necessary forms and introduced to our instructor Alle. Alle was fantastic for the whole course. Very patient, knowledgeable and give you the confidence needed for this new skill. I would however like to mention that some of the staff are beyond rude. One person in particular stood out for me. I was asked to pay the full amount up front, a sizeable sum of 23,000 tbh which I had no issue with, however the guy taken the money from me through the glass hatch was less than impressive. This guy hadn't the common courtesy to even look at me and acknowledge my existence as I handed over a large amount of money. You'd thought I had just crappies in a bag and handed it to him. Beyond rude. There were a few others who were particularly condescending and really have no place in an environment dealing with paying customers.

Anyway the rooms were pretty poor to be honest (even with the upgrade) and after the first night we checked in to a nearby hotel. They're ok for free (better than sleeping outside) but you'd honestly be better spending a few pound and getting a hotel.

To summarise the whole experience - really glad I done the course, Alle was first class but the facilities, rooms and some staff need to remember they are not any better than us just because they can dive. Lose the superiority complex please.

• Stayed June 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Phi phi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I booked this through Tourist Information Tour Co Ltd, 7/1 Room 7101 Ka-Om Road, Wat Som Subdist, Pomprab Dist, Bangkok. It should be noted that you should NEVER use this travel agent as they are a total rip off, charging approximately 50% profit minimum.
I stayed here but didn't dive. The resort seemed to be great for divers, but as a non diver you feel somewhat excluded. The accommodation was so basic, and the bathroom full of ants. It is however right on the beach.
The place tried to sell me diving and were unwelcoming when I said I was not interested.

Stayed June 2014
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

The instructors are fantastic, very detailed course and individual attention to weaknesses is paid by the instructors!!! Great fun!!! Lovely setting but accomodation is very basic but wasn't a problem for me because I paid a little extra for the AC which was worth it!!! A little run down but the restaurant has cheap good good and bar is cheap!!! Will recommend!!

• Stayed June 2014
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I signed up to do the Open Water PADI Course followed by the Advanced Open Water PADI Course. My instructors were Gemma and Tanison and were absolutely awesome. The group I was with were a great bunch and the whole course was a holiday in itself. If I could have convinced my work, I would have stayed for a month or 2 just diving with Crystal. My only complaint was the rooms, I upgraded from the free room with the course to the A/C room and it was really run down. However, I feel in love with my room, the cat out the front who became my little friend and the whole resort. I am already trying to get back there. I hope I sold it enough, because if you don't go there you are missing out on an experience.

Room Tip: Definately upgrade if you can
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend had signed up to do the open water PADI course, our instructors Manu & Morgan were amazing! Very attentive and easy to learn! You could definitely tell how much they enjoyed there jobs! I would definitely go back and request them both again for my advanced course!

The only thing I could fault are the free rooms you get with the course but I suppose as they are so cheap you can't really complain.. I would recommend either upgrading for £30 a night (room has 2 single beds and a double in the upgraded one) with air con, a nice bathroom and a much better kept room than the standard ones

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

They allways say people go for a week and stay for a year or two. That nearly happened to me and its all thanks to the dedicated staff and Crystal. I went to do my Advanced Open water and stayed to do Wreck,Deep,Nitrox and Rescue Courses.

The staff from office to instructing were excellent and couldn't do enough to help. My instructor was Jenny and she was amazing. She could adapt to a teaching method that suited each individual which made each persons learning experience specific.For me i prefer a more relaxed course where i can have a laugh and enjoy myself while still learning and safety was allways stuck to, and thats exactly what i got.

Simon and Dirk also taught me at other points and although both taught differently they were both fantastic and i learnt so much from them.

Remi,Brian,Carston and Tina, although were not my instructors were always see around the office and bar area asking how my time was and helping answer any questions i had.

So yes the accommodation is basic but considering if you do a course its free and your so busy diving and socialising you dont spend much time in there anyway. All you need to do is compare prices from here and other areas in Thailand and the rest of the world to see that it is by far cheaper so small things like the accommodation don't have to be incredible.

Room Tip: Rooms with ac cost a bit more but acom was free when doing courses which works great when travelling...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We weren't very interested into diving but decided to stay in one of their bungalows. Basic equipped with a fan, a tv (not working), a little porch and a very basic bathroom. A bit overpriced for what you get. Probably alright if you decide to dive with them and get the room for free. All in all just a very average experience.

Room Tip: Have a look at the rooms first and negotiate (esp in low season).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Crystal Dive Resort? Share your experiences!