“Amazing diving/bar area!! Shocking rooms !! ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Mae Haad Beach, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #20 of 46 hotels in Ko Tao
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Amazing diving/bar area!! Shocking rooms !! ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Diving at this resort was class,, first and foremost you go to Koh Tao to dive and this place was amazing at that! Also there bar area was really cool with dive videos being played at night and most if not all the instructors buzzing about all to happy to have a drink and chat!

Our instructor, Ozzy, was amazing and funny too! Always available to drink or discuss the course! The main reason for us returning a few weeks later for a fun dive!

Anyway as the resort staff will tell you the rooms are honking with not much going for them but like I said before you come to Koh Tao to dive so that didn't really put me off.

What did annoy me though was the arrogant, small minded and rude Thai man that worked in the office! He was a nightmare from the second we arrived never with a smile on his face just sat in the office demanding money! Which he felt was his god given right! Honestly I can forgive the shocking state of the rooms but that bloke made me want to walk out the second I arrived! And that's really why it's only 3 star for me cos the diving was amazing and experience amazing until u meet this bloke! Never has one man ruined it for me more than him!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

After an overnight trip we get to Ko Tao to be herded a couple of hundred metres from the pier to this 5 star diving resort. 5 star I can assure you it is not! Instead of being shown to our rooms via reception, we were sat down to fill in a load of forms. My girlfriend was there to dive, I was not. After about half an hour of form filling and discussion about I honestly don't know what, we were shown to our bungalow. THESE BUNGALOWS ARE NOT FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION!! I could not believe they were serious about putting us there! The smell of the sewer was only too apparent, the sink in the so called bathroom didn't have a drain and drained onto your feet below and the state of the beds and mattresses was DISGUSTING!
To cut a long story short, we moved to another room which was mediocre to say the least and moved out of the resort the next day.
My girlfriend continued to do her diving with them, but, I refused to even step foot in the place. The staff there seemed oblivious to the state of the place. Everywhere you looked there was rubbish and dirt and nobody seemed to give a damn that they were working amongst all of this filth!
Apparently the diving is pretty well organised, but, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. There are many dive resorts in Thailand and this one will either soon have to address its issues or face a decline in business!
To the management: How can you be so cheeky to your customers? Asking me to do your housekeeping is an insult when your staff are sitting around doing nothing!!
Good luck, you will need it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Do not stay at the Resort rooms . If you come to dive , it is best to stay in a normal hotel nearby. The service is terrible , the rooms are old . I paid the service dive center with the help of my credit card. Seven days later, my card without my knowledge, took off $ 1 , apparently to test. I blocked the card , and after a while my card already tried to remove a larger amount. Tried to buy tickets to the transport company in Russia . This card I have nowhere else was paying , but in Crystal Dive Resort and it could make the Russian staff, I'm sure. English-speaking staff is nice and courteous , no complaints , but with regard to Russian - the complete opposite .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

So first off, apologies for writing so late. I promised this review back in September but have just got round to it!

My boyfriend and I travelled around Asia from June-September this year.

Our experience at Crystal Dive Resort was most definitely one of the highlights.

Yes, the accommodation isn't brilliant. For what we paid for, I'll admit I expected better, but then that's not why we were there.

The staff were great and I have to mention a HUGE thank you to our Dive Instructor, Yasmin Haque. At 22, she was our age yet had an answer to every question and the confidence of an actual mermaid.

I'm not a bad swimmer and was fine during the training. As soon as we got into the sea however, a wave of sheer terror and panic came over me and I just couldn't bring myself to go down.

Yasmin, stayed with me, calmed me down and took me down at my own pace. Due to limited time, we only managed to complete our DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) but both fully intend to come back next summer and get our PADI Open Water Qualification.

My only hope is that Yasmin is still there to train us again!

Overall, thank you so much to Crystal for creating one hell of a memory.

Room Tip: When choosing a room, if you are taking a PADI course, the rooms are free and with a DSD course, the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Such a disappointment

We went to Thailand last year and decided that we would visit the island of Koh Tao. We booked a bungalow at this hotel without really knowing anything about it.
How disappointed were we when we arrived. The welcome was cold and unfriendly. The bungalow was not clean and not looked after. The swimming pool was monopolized by divers taking lessons and when it was free the chlorine was anyway so strong there was no way someone could have bathed without risking skin problems!
Our overall stay in Koh Toa was great and the island is amazing. I will be happy to go back but will never recommend this hotel or go back myself!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had the best time on Koh Tao staying at Crystal!
The dive instructors are amazing, they take you through everything at a pace right for you and are also really lovely. The pool is really good to learn basics in, and the boat boy when you go diving is really really helpful. We had Sandra, she was lovely and really friendly and knowledgeable.
We went for the 10000 baht option, because the rooms for the 9000 were a bit of a treck away from the beach and dive school.
Our rooms were very basic, but the fans were very good and the beds were comfortable.
The toilets were western style which is always a bonus, but be careful not to use too much toilet roll as the toilets are prone to blocking!
WiFi is available in the restaurant, lobby, pool and beach area and is pretty reliable.
The hotel staff seem a bit distant at first but they are all very friendly and happy to help with any problems you may have.
Would love to go diving here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I was looked after from the day I arrived at Crystal but was dissapointed by the state of te resort, very basic rooms poor equipment and not even a roll of toilet paper??
I met with my instructor Yasmin and straight away forgot about the shabby resort and focused on the diving. I was petrified to start of with having never been diving before but a good thing i can say about this resort is the instructors. Yasmin was extremly patient with me through out the whole course, she made sure I was completely comfortable and ready to dive before we started the real dives. I could tell Yasmin loved her job and loved to dive i felt very safe in her hands and to be honest i dont think I would have done the course if she hadnt of been so caring and patient with me and then it a clicked. Now I can say that i love diving and this has started a new phase for me. Thankyou Yaz hope we can dive again together someday in the future :-) highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Crystal Dive Resort? Share your experiences!