“Amazing loved it....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
You added Crystal Dive Resort to your Saves list
Mae Haad Beach, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
“Amazing loved it....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Me and my friend went there for our diving course as total beginners... I felt so welcomed by the staff and the Crew we had teaching us our PADI open water course... Kiwi, Diaego, Tom all great guys who really made our stay and learning experience so much fun...!!! They were extremely professional and patient with everyone... I loved my course and will defiantly be back for more!! Would recommend everyone to dive at Crystal above any PADI resort!!! You guys made my stay amazing!!! Thanks guys ;)

• Stayed March 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Antwerp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

You don't stay on Koh Tao because it's beautiful - but because you're diving there... It IS beautiful, but it's simply overrun by divers (or wannabe divers like me) so I don't know what people are complaining here... We didn't stay at the resort itself because it was simply too crowded when we arrived, we got a nice appartment with tv/airco/fan in a 5min walk from the resort.
About the diving, people complaining about this thing being unpro etc - what did you expect when you're learning to dive at probably one of the most cheapest places in the world... the "problems" people have here can easily be overlooked, you're on vacation, relax!
I've had a different instructor for each course I took, wasn't too keen on it either but this way I learned A LOT more because everyone has their own tips and tricks... We planned to go only for the Open Water, ended up doing the Advanced Open Water + Nitrox + Wreck Spec. as well, one of the best experiences in my life. The staff were a friendly bunch, each with their own qualities... Next year we'll be back for some more courses!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

didn't plan to go diving during this trip but it is absolutely the best thing i've ever done.
crystal is a really professional place but in the same time like a second home! they've been doing this for a long time and know what they're doing. the people who work there are all really helpfull, if you got a qustion you can just ask whoever and they'll help you or sort the problem out.
they are just amazing guys and my instructor, allie, was a big reason to why i came back for more courses. she was always very calm and you could easily tell that she knew what she was doing. i trusted her completely and knew that i never needed to be scared with her around - if i ever got a problem or panicked she would help me. i requested her for every course!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My bf and I decided on crystal because we were looking for a good diving school. We weren't too concerned about the accomodation- we just wanted a legit professional diving experience. Well I can say we got the opposite of that. It was beyond disorganized, totally unprofessional and an utter disappointment. To start with- we both had between 2-3 instructers on our course. Mine was 2 days- 2 instructers. His was 4 days- 3 instructers. They say they have small groups-6/7 people on average is not small! The theory was never reviewed! They just hand you the book and tell you to fill in the review sheets open book style. When I asked to have it reviewed they told me that wasn't neccessary even though on the review sheets it says "I have had this material reviewed verbally" with a signature line! When IN the water- yes the instructers were good divers but in regard to actually learning, I can't say they were good at all! The one exception was a guy named Scott who was actually very professional but I only had on my navigation specialty which was a real pity. And to top it all off I just got an email from them saying they are missing my headshot in order to process my certification for my open water. A) Maybe that's bc they never took one!!! B) I didn't do my open water! I did my advanced!
Take my advice! Go elsewhere! This place was a total headache. I don't even know how PADI allows them to give courses.

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I did my open water at crystal 5 years ago and on recent travels around Thailand returned there for a fun dive while on koh Tao. The whole place appears that no one much has bothered to tidy up for the last 5 years and the level of service I received was pretty dreadful.
On arrival for my dive there was no equipment yet available so I was told to just wait till the morning boat came back. The girl who informed me of this then promptly sloped off to eat a burger leaving me sitting in the bar amongst a table of empty glasses and a couple of teens sleeping off the night before. No one then bothered to help me out, let me know who my dm was or get me any equipment. When I finally found someone to help, there was no equipment left, it had all been taken by the open water groups that morning. They rustled around, a dm gave his BCD and my partner got an old torn one from out the back.
We had to check the list to find our boat ourselves and turns out myself and my partner were put with different dm's which is ridiculous when we booked the dives together, we would clearly want to dive together!
The boat also appeared like it hadn't been cleaned for 5 years. The bin was overloaded with rubbish and a load of eggshells, some rank cups floating in brown water that was supposed to be used for cleaning cups. Free tea and coffee, as long as we could share 3 coffee mate sachets between 40 of us. Boat boys and diving instructors sleeping on people's bags in the dry area, one of whom was pretty indignant when I wanted to get something out of my bag.
There was also only enough tanks on board for one dive so we had to wait 45 mins at the second dive site while we awaited a long tail with air. Oh and the boat conked out for a while as well.
Overall the customer service is shocking, the place is run like a mates club as a place to hang out and be the big man of crystal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently did a dive course here and aside form my instructor who was lovely, I was very dissapointed. I had heard about this company through lonely planet, but wish I had looked into it more. They completley lack the "personal" touch and churn out divemasters and Instructors. They have 3 ferry sized boats that each hold between 50 - 70 divers, which, when I was there was usually filled with about 30 divers plus boat crew. Which means very busy dive sites! This is a place where people go to learn to dive, so have no experience or expectations to a good dive shop so are deluded to think this company is the best. Dive boats filled with open water students, with one DM and 6 - 7 students each, one wash room that you actaully have to queue and wait a good 10 mins to clean your kit and busy dive boats that prevent you jumping in the water due to random snorkelers that are all over the show. Also, they advertise "beach front bungalows" when you do their courses, but will more than likely send you to accomodation thats not even part of Crystal yet still charge you the same rate even though they stick you in dirt cheap rooms!
So if you are an experieced diver, this is not the place for you, if you plan on learning here and don't know any difference in a dive school that churns out hundreds of diver to a dive school that is welcoming and gives you a more personal feel, then this is the place for you.
On a whole, Koh Tao is unfortunately over run by dive boats, and unless you get to dive sites at the crack of dawn, then there will more than likey be at least 7 ferry sized dive boats carrying 20 - 30 divers at each site, so you're more than likey going to get a fin or two in the face! Which is such a shame, because the diving is quite nice there, the sheer volume just lets it down.

Room Tip: Once I finished the course, we moved to the slightly busier side and stayed in a lovely place called...