“Great dive school” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
You added Crystal Dive Resort to your Saves list
Mae Haad Beach, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
SG
“Great dive school”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We didn't stay with Crystal, but instead lived at Regal, just up the beach but apparently owned by the same person. First off, let me say that if you are a seasoned diver with more than 50 dives, you might want to seriously consider another dive location other than Koh Tao. Diving is decent enough, good coral and fish life, but don't expect to see spectacular sights like you would at say Manado or Sipadan...unfortunately, even turtles are a rarity. The dive masters have a sign for angelfish...enough said. Its been a long time since I had to carry my equipment on and off the boat to the shop, but this is the nature of diving in Koh Tao. Diving here is cheap and plentiful, and you get what you pay for.

Having said that, if you do decide that you want to dive Koh Tao, or especially if you are interested in learning how to dive at any level (Crystal have some of the most highly qualified staff I have come across, up to Tech level), I would highly 150% recommend diving with Crystal. Their staff make diving the way it should be, which is firstly, safe and secondly loads of fun. The operation is very well run (credit to Matt, the Course director), and very well organised. I found all the dive crew to be highly professional, extremely competent and safety oriented, and on top of that a great bunch of people to hang out with. Thanks Mitch, Josh, Sam, Sasha and Matt! We had a great time, pity about the weather, but thanks for making our dives safe and fun!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was on the island for about 3 hours and got a call that forced me to come home. I went to the pier to get the soonest ticket on a ferry and it was leaving in twenty minutes, I took it. So i had to repack, get to the office and refund my money and get my laundry back( I had left it an hour ago in the office where it had been taken and supposed to be ready for me the following day). So I rushed down to the office and told them the situation, they began working vigorously because they didn't want me to miss my boat. The Australian manager at the time (forgive me again buddy if your reading this, I forgot your name again haha) was almost in a sweat doing everything he could to refund my money from the agency I had booked it with, they were saying it wasn't possible. He got on the phone with the owner of Crystal and told him the situation and he said 'forget it I'll pay for it and deal with them later'!! I couldn't believe it, the whole time I was looking at the clock and knew I had to leave with at least 2 mins left to catch the ferry. They refunded my money, a women arrived on a scooter with my wet laundry (that was clean!) and I ran for the boat all in the same 30 seconds. I couldn't thank them enough and asked what I could do and he said to write this, wish I could do more!! I never started the course, but they got me over there for free, accommodation for free (room was very nice) and treated me incredible when it mattered the most. I've heard great things about Crystal,that's why I went with them, it sucks I never started but I can tell you aside from diving, they are an exceptional staff and people over there who will do just about anything to make sure you're happy. Thanks again!!!!

Karachi, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Crystal dive resort offers great convenience and value for money. Acommodation provided as per need from basic to refined . Friendly staff giving prompt service. 2 minutes walk from the Mae haad pier.  No hassle of pick and drop, great location - central , with everything in a minutes walk. Have visited the place twice..

Crystal dive, Koh Tao is a great place for diving with friedly multicultural trainers speaking several languages . I completed my open water and advanced open water , awesome diving experience. Great bar area of crystal with music and movies in the evening . Beautiful sunsets on turtle beach . Good value for money. Will definitely go again...love the place..highly recommended.

Room Tip: State our requirements clearly for staff understanding ....eg room with ac facing sea ,etc communica...
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The resort revolves around diving and the accomodation is simple, convenient and spacious. I heard about their diving program from a friend who visited about 8 months ago. It lived up to my expectations by providing personalized instruction and amazing sights under the water. The whole staff was friendly and offered their every effort to make the experience a spectacular one. Thanks to Sam and Juliano for a great time in the water. I will be visiting again to do my advanced open water. If you plan on visiting make sure you have plans afterwards otherwise you might get stuck and never want to leave.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've stayed at Crystal dive resort twice now, and I'm definitely coming back! I loved Koh Tao it's such an amazing island and the fact that Crystal is only 200 meters from the pier and just down by the beach was just great.
I did my open water and advanced open water course, and even though I used to be terrified of the ocean my instructor Amalie made me feel very safe the whole time. And now I can't get enough of diving! She was so great when I sometimes got scared and helped me see that there was nothing to be scared of. Now I'll be doing my Rescue diver course next, and of course it'll be at Crystal! Thanks for a great experience!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I made my open water and my advanced open water certification at cyrstal and it was great.
My Dive Instructor was Amalie. I always felt safe because of her calm and professional way.
I think i had the best instructor which i could get. Thanx Amalie, to all the thing you have shown me about diving and thanx to crystal for this fantastic time!!!

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We picked this place for our dive course as we met some travellers who had a good experience here, and also when we got off the ferry they were only a 200m walk away (as opposed to the other diving place that was also offering free accomodation).
The fan bungalow was basic, but free while we were doing a course, which helped the budget. We ended up doing 2 courses, Open Water and Advanced, after really enjoying the Open Water, and our friendly instructor and dive master in training who assisted.

The positives - diving in Koh Tao is delightful , great dive sites, awesome clear water - the snorkelling is great too, and the prices were right for us - 9000 baht each for the Open Water, and then a 10% discount for our next course, I think it was 7500 baht for the Advanced (5 dives including an awesome night dive), plus free accom whilst on the course. Excellent value for money, cheapest I have seen around Thailand. Also we could have done more dives for 700 baht per dive - discounted again since we had done a course - cheapest way to dive for sure!!

The negatives - We were told that any extra nights after we finished a course would be 300 baht, but when we checked out we had to pay 600 baht per extra night. Both guys who quoted us this price weren't around, and the piece of paper we signed said 600. Sure we should have paid attention to that, but they seemed easygoing about it at the time, and I verbally confirmed the price twice because I was confused by the piece of paper - which quoted another price again for when you were on a course - it didn't say you got any free accom. We ended up paying the extra, since it was still pretty cheap, but it left us with a very sour taste in our mouths...
Also, the overall attitude of the place was strange - we didn't read the reviews before we went there but they are spot on - most of the instructors, staff, and dive masters in training seemed to act like they were more important than you - despite the fact that the only reason the whole place is there is because people like us come there to do our Open Water course. The bar area is a nice place to hang out and watch the beautiful sunsets, but you felt like you were intruding on their private socialising area or something.
Also, as someone else mentioned, the dive gear is not terribly clean, mould on your regulator/snorkel anyone?!

The accommodation - cold shower (great for the hot weather), no toilet paper (same as most cheap places in Asia), fan, tv that was broken, overall, fairly basic, but a place to sleep. Wifi very slow (better at the cafes around town), and didn't work from the room.. (When we left we moved to another bay on the island and upgraded to somewhere nice for a few nights as a treat to make up for it!)

Overall - Koh Tao is a great place to learn to dive, Crystal has great instructors and good prices (in the low season anyway).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crystal Dive Resort? Share your experiences!