“Yummy Indian great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 115 Restaurants in Ko Tao
3.5 of 5 stars 45 Reviews
Cuisines: Indian
melbourne
“Yummy Indian great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This place is pricey compared to eating local Thai food as other reviews suggest.

However, the service was the best we had in Thailand by a lovely young lady.

The curry was beautiful. I love curry but don't like heat so it can be hard getting Indian that still has full flavour without the fire. This food was perfect.

We would have rated here more if it was cheaper.

If you have a curry craving or want something specific though look no further.

Hubby has caeliacs and the chef fully understood 'gluten free'.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wakatobi Island, Indonesia
“Not really indian.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

A very thai take on indian food and somewhat overpriced. If you have craving for indian food wait until you are in malaysia or better yet indian.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Fav Indian Food on KT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'm not even sure if there is another place for decent Indian food, but once we found Shalimar, we stopped looking. I ate here twice over 3-weeks and was really impressed with my meal each time. In-fact, this was my choice of restaurant for my last night on the island. We always ordered enough food to share, and as we always ate here in a big group, tried most menu items. I don't recall there being anything I wouldn't order again. Most of us felt it was suitably authentic, but most of our palates were a bit confused, and we were just happy to try 'different' spicy food.

The restaurant itself is beautiful, but you may not notice it from the street as it is walled in (unlike most restaurants on Koh Tao which are open to the street or each). Like almost all restaurants and bars, it is open air. Usually if I suggested Shalimar, someone would ask "the place with the tree inside it?" - the tree is definitely a noticeable landmark/feature.

One of the reasons we went there on my last night was to celebrate my moving on with sheesha, but for some reason it wasn't available. This wasn't explained to us but I noticed the page was no longer on their menu. For some reason between the 2nd week of August and the 4th week of August it had been removed from their menu. Smoking is still OK (as it is almost everywhere on KT), so I didn't get the impression it was part of a move to a smokeless environment, but our waiter wouldn't explain what had happened or why it wasn't available.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great for that Indian craving!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The food & atmosphere here is great, however it is more expensive than regular food on the island. This is the only decent Indian food on the island though. Look out for the daily specials.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ko Tao, Thailand
“One of my favs on Tao”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Eaten there many times and always satisfied with food and service. The staff is attentive and friendly. Everything we've tried so far is amazing. Curries are not too spicy - just how I like it. Papadams come with homemade tamarind sauce, it's sooo nice! The menu is big and offers all the traditional Indian dishes for reasonable prices. We found especially the lamb dishes good as it is quite difficult to find really good lamb on the island.They offer special days during the week - one day it is veggie day and you get veggie curries cheaper, one day it is lamb day etc. They also have 2 for 1 happy hour cocktails (and their cocktail menu is big) and not to mention smoking a shisha of course. Although Shalimar is directly on the main road in the center of Sairee, you feel hidden in there. Cozy atmosphere with original Indian tunes.Go visit!

• Visited August 2013