“really a great place!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 96 Activities in Ko Tao
5.0 of 5 stars 117 Reviews
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: we used this place on our recent trip and we would like others to know about it.
Stuttgart, Germany
“really a great place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

2006 I got my open water degree at calypso and I returned for a couple of times and I would recommend it to everybody. For diving and the whole Tanote Bay for people who love it easy, quiet and lean back!

Visited April 2013

Berlin, Germany
“Great diving school at beautiful tanote bay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hello everyone,

we just finished our CMAS 1* diving licence at Calypso (they also teach the PADI) in 4 days, around 7 hours of theorie learning and 6 dives. The teachings were great, the staff always friendly and helpful. They offer the course in English, german (most of them are from germany), french, spanish and Thai.
The 6 dives were just amazing and due to our great teacher Balu we felt perfectly secure from the very first second.
Another plus factor: The beautiful, small Tanote Bay (we didn't want to stay at the main bay, where every second start new, really big diving groups) has its own house reef, so we could do the first 5 dives just by walking from the diving school within 10 meters directly into the water. The reef was just amazing and we could see a lot of different fishes. For the last dive, we could choose to go by boat and we had a very nice dive with some swim throughs and a big barracuda. :)
We will definitely visit them again and want to recommend this place to all of you! :)

Best regards,
Susanna.

PS. Their website is: http://www.calypso-diving-kohtao.de/

Rome, Italy
3 attraction reviews
“Not professional”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

At first impression this diving looked good, and guides nice. I asked to do a very simple diving in the afternoon, since I was the only advanced owd and the dive was with trainees I should do the dive with a dedicated guide. Then, the afternoon the diving owner changed idea and I had the dive with some at first dive!! So I first wasted 15min alonewaiting the trainees finished the exercises with the instructor, then dive started... I add that rented equipment was really bad, regulator was holed and oxydated but normal according to instructor. But should not surprise, he took owd just few months before...

Visited August 2013
Dennis M, Owner at Calypso Diving - Koh Tao, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
I am really sorry to hear that your first good impression you had with our dive school turned the other way. The time you visited Calypso, mid August, is the busiest time of the year. We had to make a small rearrangement and buddied you up with somebody who already has a license, but hasn't been diving for some time. It was not like you mentioned, that this person has never been diving before. He was merely taking a 'fresh up dive'. I am sorry that you had to wait this 10 minutes until the other diver finished the few skills for his refresher, before you could go out on your excursion of the reef.
I think what you mentioned in your review, your Instructor has taken his open water license just a few months ago, must have been a misunderstanding. All of my Instructors are very experienced and work with me for many years. Which, I think, is quite exceptional on this island.
I am appalled to hear that our equipment did not meet your expectations, since most of the BCD's are brand-new and the Regulators are serviced and well looked after. I spoke personally with your Instructor, he said that what apparently has happened is, you pushed the purch button of the Regulator on the surface and it started to free flow. I might add that this is a normal response of a Regulator.
All in all I have to say, I wish that you would have given us another chance after this one dive you've done with us. So we, Calypso, could've stayed in better memory with you.
“Just: WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We had 3 days of great experiences with Kurt and finally we got the Open Water Diver.
Was a very excitint trip on the boat of Calypso Diving near Koh Tao!
Well organised and very nice staff!
You just have to think about diving! :)

I can really recommend this base!

Thank you Kurt!

Voyage
“The place to dive in Koh Tao”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Calypso diving is a team of good, smiling and professional divers.
They are very helpful. The human contact is Nice.
Tanote Bay, the place where you will dive is full of fishes.
Coral is really colorful, fishes are a lot and very different.
I even saw a turttle !
Special thanks to Kurt and Dennis !

Visited March 2013