“Bad staff, don't go here based on only an email confirmation.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunrise Bungalow Koh Tao

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Tao
Sunrise Bungalow Koh Tao
You added Sunrise Bungalow Koh Tao to your Saves list
52 / 3 Moo 3, Ko Tao 84360, Thailand   |
Ranked #47 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Ko Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Bad staff, don't go here based on only an email confirmation.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Terrible hotel and staff. Sunrise emailed us to tell us they had rooms and that they would see us the next day. We had already booked a hotel but because of the lovely reviews we gave up the deposit we had paid to come here.

On getting here we were we were told they had no rooms. The lady who had old us there were (Miss Poom) isnt even in Koh Tao but Bangkok and is irresponsibly telling people to come here without a clue whether the hotel is booked up.

Overall, Sunrise cost us two taxi fares and a lost deposit on our former hotel, 2400 baht in total, as well as the inconvenience. It took over an hour for a taxi to pick us up to begin the hunt for a place to stay. There was no offer to give us the money for the wasted taxi and nobody even took responsibility for their mistake.

It was quite out of the way and I'm glad we ended up staing nearer Sairee and eating dinner on the beach. It did look like there were a lot of bugs too - lots of ants and flies. It also smelt of rubbish in reception.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had five fantastic days here recently and would recommend it to anyone in the mid-low price range. The view of shark island and the bay below is stunning, and you can walk to the bay in 10 mins from the bungalows- although the walk back is very steep! Mod, who looks after the bungalows is the most helpful and friendly owner and will recommend good restaurants, book taxis into town (with RPM who are good and don't overcharge) and cooks a great breakfast. The accommodation is very basic but not bad value for money.

Its only a 10 min drive from the main beaches and town so don't be put off by the slightly out of the way location. I would love to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed four nights and we all absolutely loved it. The bungalows have a fantastic view overlooking shark island, area out 15 minutes from town with a beach in walking distance. The beach is about ten minutes walk away and although the climb is steep I would highly recommend this beach as there a two lovely restaurants and it is much quieter than sariee beach. Mod, the thai owner, is fantastic, her English is great, she cooks extremely well and is a great help particularly when sorting out good taxi deals. I would recommend using RPM taxi services as they charge only 200badht for four people for the trip to and from town. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this place to all my friends!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We booked the small house for 3 nights. It is clean but the bathroom is not very luxury. So don't except too much. The house is closed, so no insects can come in, which was good.
The soul of the sunrise bungalows is the owner Mod, she is really absolutely lovely and she can cook very good and has a kind heart.
The view is absolutely amazing and just perfect.
The walk to the beach is about 15 min- we walked since it is very dangerous to rent a bike (many accidents on the island). The beach is great too- you can snorkle very well and rent everything at the beach.
The first two nights the water in the bathromm worked fine but there were problems with the water and in the end it was brown & stinky- and we did not use it!

So before you book you may ask for the water reserves- otherwise it is great for a few nights!
If you need something low budget- this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights and loved it. Mod the Thai owner is awesome and runs the place singlehanded - shes also very funny and a great cook! The bungalows have an amazing hillside view overlooking shark island...well worth an early wake up to see sunrise. The location is also great, you can walk to a quite beach with great snorkelling and a couple of cool restaurants...it's about 10 min walk. The main beaches and nightlife are about 10 mins by scooter or taxi and cost 150-400 baht depending where you go. Definetly worth staying!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

It was my first time in ko Tao and I had just travelled the 22 hour journey from chiang mai... I got off the boat and faced 30 or so locals promoting their lodgings. Luckily I had booked ahead with sunrise bungalows.

Now at this point maybe everyone else would have got a 200baht taxi instead of hike up the 20 min slope in the heat with a heavy backpack. However I opted for the walk. Thai people believe in the power of the scooter so when asking directions they looked at me strangely.

Opon reaching my destination I was rewarded with an amazing view of koh phangan and shark island. Mod was there to greet me and show me to my bungalow - quiet, secluded, with its own hammock.

The bungalows are comprised of 2 small bamboo style (250baht), 3 mid range ensuite concrete style (600 baht) and 2 large with fridge and balcony (900baht).

A good point is these come with hot water, where for the same price many of the ones on sariee beach don't. Of course the best factor apart from the hot water, views and quiet is the host, mod. She is the only one there but she manages to have time to meet everyone's needs on top of the cleaning, cooking and management.

Her menu is good value and has some great tasty dishes (try the coconut soup with shanghai noodles) A problem with many kitchens in ko Tao is they hire burmese chefs - therefore not providing the true thai recipes.

If you can handle a scooter, it's best to hire one to get everywhere on the island quickly and cheaply. However the roads can be very rough and bumpy so if you've never rode one (like me) I wouldnt start here.

I was lucky enough to be there on a week where I almost had the place to myself. Mod was able to take me in to town, to barbecues, for pizza and to places it would take hours to walk to.

If you want to use wifi there is a place up the hill 2 mins. Also if you want to snorkel and use the beach it is 10 mins walk down the hill.

If you like the quiet, good hospitality, nature and authentic Thai food - this is the place! I would have stayed longer but it was fully booked after my week there. Till next time...

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We chose these bungalows as they were a bit out of the way, quite cheap (fitted out student traveller budget) and had gorgeous views of the coast. The owner was absolutely lovely, nothing was too much trouble and no request was too great. She takes a genuine interest in all of the people that stay and she made us feel very comfortable! The bungalow itself was comfortable but basic. And with the nicest beach we found on Koh Tao only ten minutes walk away, it is definitely worth a stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunrise Bungalow Koh Tao? Share your experiences!