“Needs to try harder” 3 of 5 stars

AWESOME PROMOTIONS
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
“Needs to try harder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We came to Koh Tao for some diving and relaxation. We got both.

Aminjirah has a good location for sunsets but is placed way out of town to be convenient to walk. The guy on reception is thoroughly pleasant and helpful. Other accommodation has similar western view but maybe not the elevation.

We had a budget comfort room - was clean and practical but possibly a bit small - little to no storage. Slight whiff from the toilet flush but other than that very clean smelling room.

We liked the pool view overlooking the gulf of thailand to the west alas the weather didnt bless us with the sunset we wanted. The infinity pool is most definitely the crown jewel of this hotel and you dine next to it on a morning and evening. Sadly it appeared to me to have too much chlorine to make swimming pleasant it really stings your eyes - ive never had a problem opening my eyes underwater before.

The food seems overpriced - breakfast was included - I had eggs benedict which is basically poached egg on toast with hollandaise sauce, sadly the egg was put on the toast with a lot of moisture which ruined the toast.

Service was erratic and slow. Meals would come at different times so id have finished before my girlfriends had arrived (happened with breakfast once and dinner once). With 4 or 5 tables occupied some people lost patience and went to order at the bar, others left. Food varied from mediocre sweet and sour to very spicy - thai basil chicken (unpleasant), to nice - yellow chicken curry and v nice chicken with cashew.

On check out we had a few items added to our bill but there were no issues having this resolved by the front desk dude!

• Stayed July 2013
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words as well as the constructive feedback. We will certainly try even harder and especially look at our restaurant and breakfast - and how that can be improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Due to sickness we were not able to make out trip to Koh Tao. That was all very unfortunate since we were really looking forward to this trip. What was even more embarassing is that we had to pay the hotel in advance and we did not get any refund at all. We booked our room during full moon so I am pretty sure someone else would be booking the room. I do not expect to get all my money back but at least a percentage of it. It was not even possible to talk to the management of the hotel and there was no discussion. So be warned if you are going to book at aminjirah resort.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I'm not easily impressed but this place was breathtaking. The location and view are unbeatable. We stayed in the sunset room which had a cute little balcony w amazing view. Even the toilet had an amazing view! We were 2 steps from the main pool which looks over Koh Tao and was beautiful to swim in. The bar and restaurant around the pool area were lovely and the food was good. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated in a Thai style. San the manager was friendly and helpful. Our only disappointment was a communication breakdown about our private long tail boat snorkelling trip organised by San. I had two requirements. The first was shade provision in the boat for my vampire husband and son. The second was that we be taken to quiet snorkeling spots around koh Tao. We get to the beach to find the boat has no shade. With some hot and time consuming negotiation which involved phone calls to San to interpret that shade was not negotiable another boat was organised. I assumed our boat driver knew where we wanted to go but he didn't. He took us to one nice snorkeling spot and then on to nang yuan island which has hundreds of people and I had no desire to visit having been there before. This was dissapointing as the trip cost 2700 tbh ( plus 300 for entrance onto the island that I didn't want to visit!).

I would advise people to travel down to the taxi boat rank on Sairee beach and negotiate snorkeling trips themselves and clearly establish that the boat driver understands and agrees to your trip plan. The hotel is a long way from the beach up a winding road and we only had two nights which is why I didn't have time to sort the trip out myself but next time this is what I will do.

I will defiantly return to this hotel.

Thanks for some fabulous memories.

Room Tip: Sunset room has best views and location
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Staying here made my holiday to Thailand! We stayed in the Fantasy suite and it was just fantastic. The pool is amazing and the staff are so nice. I must say the manager Son makes this place so special. We had stayed in a not so nice place when we first arrived to Koh Tao and I rang Son and asked had he a room for us and could he pick us up! NO PROBLEM. Service is amazing. I literally felt like I was in heaven. I would recommend this place to everyone. It is something special!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The room and service were amazing! We stayed in the 5 person Villa which was large and had 3 separate rooms! The man on the reception desk was helpful, polite and very very nice! Thank you for the best 3 nights we had in Thailand!

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at beautiful Aminjirah for six nights. We were greeted by the friendly manager, Mr. San, who made us feel very welcome. The first five days we got a free upgrade to the Royal Ocean View Suite, which was the best start of a great stay. We were amazed by the size of the room, it's beautiful, romantic decor and the stunning view of the ocean. We also had access to a private pool, shared with two other rooms. The staff was very friendly and professional. We had dinner most nights at the poolside restaurant. The resort is located a short drive away from the village center, but they offer a shuttle service into town where you can visit the local shops, restaurants and a beautiful beach. Anette & Otto

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

During the booking process, there were a couple of minor hiccups (one our end, one their end) but their great attitude helped resolve this very easily and quickly. This, combined with the photos and the great reviews here, made Aminijirah the hotel that we were most looking forward to during our trip. At the end of our trip, it wasn’t actually the one that we enjoyed the most. Arriving there after a long trip was great. The pick-up was great, the guy was waiting for us on time, helpful, the car had aircon and was comfortable. When you are checking in you are welcomed by a very friendly manager (San) who makes you feel very welcome. We booked the Ocean Fantasy Suite room and the first impression was good: large, bright and clean, with our own balcony. We then went to the pool area and really, it was stunning, the photos don't it justice. We spent most days lounging by the pool and headed to Sairee beach late afternoons for massages, drinks and dinner. This was perfect for a relaxing holiday. However, I do think this hotel fell below my expectations. Probably for the price in Koh Tao this is great standard but for Thailand in general I think that the price was too high.

The staff were very pleasant, I really liked the pool and you can tell that the owner(s?) put in a lot of care in this hotel. But there a couple of things I would like to bring up that can be useful knowledge for potential customers. I hope I can be constructive. The first inconvenience was the booking system. We had to pay the full fee in advance which is not very flexible. I think that they are using a third party booking system, and as I mentioned they were very accommodating of my requests when the room I tried to book wasn’t available. I think it could be more clearly indicated that you can’t make changes or cancel. I was also disappointed with the breakfast. I read that some customers found it great but perhaps when I was staying there the main chef was away, because I thought it was just ok. I have to bring up the walk to Sairee beach. Yes, I did expect a bit of a walk after reading the hotel’s website and the reviews, but I didn’t realize that the walk back would be so steep and difficult in the heat and high humidity. If you don’t want to walk you either have to rely on the twice daily pick-up service or over-priced taxis (I know lots of people on Koh Tao rent scooters but I don’t feel safe driving them). Of course, I have to add that if some staff member was going into town they were happy to drop you off. Another issue is the lack of pressure of the water (it was seldom possible to shower) and the aircon not working very well (it didn’t really cool down the room). This is obviously due to the water and electricity shortages on the island, all fair enough reasons, but good to know if you were expecting more. Finally, we found cockroaches almost every day in our room (except for the first day). This is unpleasant. You can argue that you’ll always encounter bugs and geckos in Thailand, but still, cockroaches are not nice to find. I want to point out that we did inform the hotel manager of these things when we were there and that he did his best (meaning that he immediately sent cleaners, or explained the water/electricity situations to us), but some things are just beyond his control. I wasn’t expecting much although perhaps the offer of a cocktail at the pool bar would have been nice (or some small gesture).

All in all, great effort, beautiful pool and view, friendly staff, but I was expecting a bit more. I would recommend it based on what is available on Koh Tao but if you expect something else (or not to encounter the issues that we had) I would simply recommend going to another island. In any case, thank you for the pleasant and friendly welcome for a much needed relaxation!

Room Tip: Try to pick the Royal Ocean View Suite or the Moonlight Suite, it seems worth it to splash out a bit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aminjirah Resort? Share your experiences!