“Lovely, but didn't meet expectations” 4 of 5 stars

AWESOME PROMOTIONS
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Ko Tao
4.5 of 5 stars 525 Reviews
London
“Lovely, but didn't meet expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was the hotel I was most looking forward to staying at on our Thailand trip - the reviews and photos looked simply amazing - but I was a little bit disappointed, I just didn't think it was worth the price we paid. Yes, the view and the pool are awesome, but anyone could come in to eat/drink at the bar/restaurant and use the pool. If I had known this, I probably wouldn't have paid the premium to stay here, just visited myself.

The location was peaceful, but it was a bit of a pain if you wanted to go out for the day or into town for dinner. We're young, healthy and usually up for a stroll but it really was too far, too dark and too hot to do the walk, so we had to pay for cabs if we didn't want to go at the complimentary shuttle times. Cabs on Koh Tao aren't expensive in the grand scheme of things, but they are expensive for Thailand.

The room itself was lovely, very spacious and all the amenities you could need. The location wasn't the best, we had an Ocean Fantasy Suite, so a mid-range priced room, but we were at the back of the property above reception and although we could see the sea, it wasn't the best view. The bathroom was too dark and the open plan design meant the floor got completely flooded which was a little slippery. We had an issue one evening with the shower pressure being non-existent, but couldn't find a staff member to notify them, so just made do with a bottle as the taps were still working.

Breakfast on the veranda was lovely, and we enjoyed the company of some feline friends. The manager on reception (apologies I forget his name) was lovely and really helpful, but the bar staff were a little miserable.

Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest

I am sorry if we did not quite meet up to your expectations but thank you for your mostly positive reviews. As per another review, we have addressed the issue with non-residents visiting and per our new policy they would need to pay to use any facilities and do not have access to all of them including sun chairs.

With regards to the location, then I always feel a bit sad when it is mentioned as a disadvantage. We feel our location is a huge advantage and specifically point out where we are on our website and ensure there is no doubt. The island is really small and you can literally leave our resort and be all the way to the furthest bay in 10-15 minutes by moped or taxi. Staying on the beach is very noisy (just see reviews of some of the beach resorts) and it's really not a problem to rent a moped if you take care where to rent from.

The rooms are indeed a little quirky and none of them are 100% identical which we find is a plus. The Ocean Fantasy is indeed as described on the website.

During peak times, Koh Tao is prone to island wide electricity problems which affects water pressure and of course issues with everything electrical, so we do apologize, but it would be the same no matter where one stays apart from the one or two resorts that have large generators.

Sincerely

Aminjirah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been to koh toa for diving quite a few times now and had never stayed away from the beach before, but getting a bit older I decided that I needed my beauty sleep. Plus I didn't need the noise from the Sairee hot spots and backpacker joints. Consequently I booked myself and my dive buddy into Aminjirah, as I knew from experience that it is super easy getting around by a small moped.

Getting to the resort we were pretty stoked about the warm welcome and "show around" by the jovial manager and relaxing on the balcony after a days diving made us really appreciate splashing out a bit and selecting this resort.

Basically the views are breath taking and combined with a very inviting pool with a perfect cool down temperature, the stay was so amazing, that I spent very little time in the room. Food was also very good and very affordable considering the view and the quality.

Thank you Aminjirah, for a great great stay !!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here only for one night, because, when we arrived at Koh Tao, all sweaty and tired, and get to the Aminjirah, there was only one room available (I believe, it was the Ocean Fantasy Suite). But we came here unexpected and didn't book anything beforehand, so it's nothing bad.

So, we decided to stay here for the night, and then go to some other resort.

The room is big, in the bathroom was that a strange decorative stuff, which looks pretty cool. The management is helpful; I remember when the guy on the reception table (simply forgot his name, sorry) stayed and helped me with some of my stupid request, despite the fact that his workday was over and, in the end, I changed my mind and decided to not to do what I wanted earlier.

Gorgeous swimming pool - the thing is very beautiful; I believe, guys at the Aminjirah is very proud of it. Nice food, awesome drinks; by my opinion, one of the best juice shakes on a whole Tao (like coconut and watermelon - try it).

There are really three downsides. And only one of them I can send directly to the management. The bed linen and the towels in our room was not very clean. Not like it's dirty and unwashed, but, for example, we noticed some stained blood drops on a bed cover.

The second - very poor water pressure in bathroom. Seriously, it's hard to even wash your hands, so to take a shower to wash out sweat and dirt is simply impossible. And also some electricity problems.

And the third minus is just a very long way to the Sairee. If you're not a driver or plan to drink some alcohol at, you will have to pay for the Taxi or go to a long on-foot-trip up by the road, for, like, twenty minutes or so. And when I say "up by the road" I mean "UP by the road".
I believe, it will get better, because everything else is good.

Beside this, a very nice place. Good for lovers on their honeymoon or so.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have booked the Ocean view superior rooms at Aminjirah for 2 nights 22-24 April 2013. I have booked and paid for my rooms 4 months in advanced. The hotel sent the truck to pick me & my partner up at the pier in the morning but we went snorkling with tour agent without informing them. We thought that we would check in that late evening. When we arrived at the hotel that evening, we were informed that there was something wrong to my booking. I told them that such thing would hardly be possible as I have booked my room in advanced for about 4 months. The Manager, Mr.Santh told me that the other guest booked that room at almost the same time as I did and the room was allocated to that guest already. By that time we were very tired from the long journey on the bus and speed catamaran from Bangkok to Koh tao and one day snorkling trip. However they have offered us to stay in their standard room on the first night without charging. Then, they will upgrade us to stay in the suite room without charging us more than the rate we have booked the superior room. We accpeted the offer and were very pleased with the way they solved our problem. Manager, Mr.Santh talked and explained to us very politely and patiently. He didn't show any upset feeling to us at all. He took every complaints from us and admitted us. We really appreciate his competent in dealing with the guests especially in such situation. The hotel itself is very nice, well decorated. The swimming pool view was stunning!!! Food was nice. We would recommend anybody want the relax atmosphere in Koh Tao, Thailand should be their guests once.

Room Tip: Room next to restaurant swimming pool will give you such a stunning sunset view.
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind words for Mr. San. We have unfortunately had some errors and double bookings due a flaw in our 3rd party reservation system recently. Suffice it to say, that we do our very best to overcome such unfortunate situations and handle as best as can be handled. Being a small property, such issues can sometimes occur due to human error and/or mistakes in booking system. Nevertheless we thank you for your patience and understanding.
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Sun was so kind and helpful! I had a lovely stay and I really enjoyed the snorkeling trip the hotel booked for me. The view was breathe taking! Spectacular view! We stayed in room 13, sunset room. It's huge and lovely! The food is great and prices are reasonable as well. I will definitely stay there again next time,

Room Tip: Choose room 13, sunset view room is superb!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is a nice place to stay on the hill side of Koh Tao.

The rooms are clean and comfy and the pool is just fantastic. You have to watch the sunset from it with one of their excellent cocktails.

Due to an "unfortunate" booking problem, we were upgraded to an extra large suite for our last night, with a private pool and a great seaview. :)

The manager is really nice and helpful.

The only downside is that it's a little bit far from everything in Koh Tao. It's about 15 mins walk to the beach or you can catch the hotel shuffle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest

We loved your kind words and appreciate your review very much, however, we do feel that our location is a plus and not a minus :-) We are happy to be away from the noise and bars of Sairee Beach and all them bustle and tumble it entails. So we 100% believe our location is five stars and not two or three stars. Of course it is all relative to what your requirements are, so let me make it clear that we are indeed 10 - 15 minute away by foot from the beach and the noise and are for travelers wanting peace, quiet and serenity and not loud music all night. Love you all and see you soon !!!
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

The big infinity pool is the best! The view is just amazing. The staff is very helpful and nice. The food and drinks are very good. Overall it's the place to stay in koh tao. I am definitely going back there next time I am around...

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Aminjirah Resort? Share your experiences!