“Amazing experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The entire experience we had whilst diving and staying at Big Blue was fantastic. There are options for many different courses including SSI and PADI.
The atmosphere that surrounds Big Blue is one where you can kick back and relax with a great social scene. The accommodation at Big Blue 2 (there are two sites, one situated at main reception and the other a 3 minute walk down the beach next to the pool) was great for what we needed, comfortable beds, hot showers, towels and blankets provided with lockers in bb2 reception (and wifi, two bars, two restaurants and free taxi service to the pier). Accommodation was free on the days we were diving.
As far as diving goes, the course (we did SSI) was structured really well, everything was thoroughly explained and having access to the swimming pool to do skills and training with the equipment was so useful.
The equipment at Big Blue is all up to date, checked and well maintained. They have 3 large boats to take out to the dive sites and 100% oxygen is kept onboard (as well as fresh fruit, biscuits, tea, coffee and a well-stocked medicine cabinet!).
Not once did I feel unsafe as a new diver, and the group sizes are never more than 6 people. You feel really looked after and I cannot recommend Big Blue enough. It was such an amazing experience and such a good laugh. It's not every day you do horse and jockey races at 18m..! Thanks mini Ant for an unforgettable Open Water course :D

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
“Underbar vecka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I really liked Big Blue diving. Many people complain about the rooms here on Tripadvisor, but I think there was no problem. You are always out there diving and only sleeping in the room.

About the diving - I did my SSI Open Water and Advanced course here. The equipment was great and i felt safty all the time. If you are a person need long time to learn is this concept not for you - but in this way all the divingschool are the same. One of the students in my class thought that the course and especially the theory was a little rushed.

But we had this amazing instructor, Ernesto, from Spain. He has experience of more than
5 000 dives. The feeling was that he really SAW each on of us and cared about just the things and the divingskills you had problems with and he was open for questions all the time.

And one of the best things - he used humour in the education and maked us laugh all the time so we felt relaxed in his present and could focus on the skills.

After the diving he was chilling out with us at the restaurant on the resort.

The divingboat was big and nice with free coffee, tea and cookies. All the other staff was great and funny. The atmosphere between the staff was great. And it seems like they really liked their jobs.

You cant find a better place to dive in Koh Tao!

/Patrik Enlund

Derby
34 attraction reviews
“SSI Open water course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

A thoroughly enjoyable way to spend two and a half days. Not having any experience of scuba before, the course was interesting and good fun. The intro video session between 5 and 7 was tough going but essential no doubt. Thereafter, the two full days and one half day were intense but introduced us to the relevant skills to qualify us as open water divers through the SSI. Our instructor Ant was top drawer, extremely patient and clearly passionate about his profession. Under his tuition, we always felt safe, well informed and that his intentions were our best interests at all times.

Sydney, Australia
“An amazing experience - Mark was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We came to Koh Tao specifically for the diving as part of our honeymoon. We had looked at several dive schools for my husband to do his open water, and me to do fun dives, and settled on Big Blue Diving as they had been friendly and prompt with their response to our emails. They seemed really organised and enthusiastic and we weren't disappointed! I was lucky enough to dive with Mark Brooker for a refresher course. Mark was very knowledgeable and patient, was able to answer any questions we had, and ensured our diving experience was the best it could be. The experience with Mark was so good, that I arrange to dive further with him over the next few days. Mark was great to dive with and I would recommend diving with Mark to anyone - whether you are a learner or an experienced diver. Mark has great knowledge that he is willing to share and provides good information about what might be best for your diving wants. At all times he was considerate of what we wanted when we dived and was open to our suggestions. I cannot recommend Mark highly enough and would definitely return to Koh Tao to dive with him and with Big Blue Diving.

Visited October 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“couldnt have found a better, cheaper, funner diving experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had the opportunity to learn with big blue in November/December. After completing my open water with MATT WATERS (top guy, ask for him) I decided to go on to do my advanced, and then a shedload of fun dives after that!! Very cheap place, AND for every dive you do you get a nights accommodation free! Great atmosphere, great instructors, great dogs ;) THOROUGHLY recommend this place.