“Mediocre Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 75 Specialty Lodging in Ko Tao
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Mediocre Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place was recommended by a travel agency in Bangkok and seemed like a good budget choice at the time. We stayed three nights with no AC (fan room), and for the quality of the room seemed to be paying to much money. The room seemed to have hopping bugs which I am guessing was some sort of sand flea, unsure. Wi-fi worked in the rooms, no actual computer present. The adjoining restaurant was nothing special;however, had a pool table which was fun. The staff at the restaurant seemed like they hated working there by their overall presence with guests. The beach in front was not good so we never stayed there. The staff was unfriendly and unhelpful.
Their snorkeling equipment was actually great and we able to rent for 24hours for a cheap price.
After talking with people there was a lot of the other Cheaper options nearby. Do some research, or if you have to stay here, stay one night and just walk to the other bungalows or guesthouses for a better place and better value.
We were not affiliated with the dive school so no opinion there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Spartan rooms, loud music well into the night, congested grounds and shoreline. Not a great beach for swimming. Key deposit of 3,000 bhat cash was a surprise, and can only be returned after 9am - a problem if you are catching an early ferry. Not a happy stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the sea are also near the bar. Rooms away from the sea look at other buildings. In short...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I don't know if their diving school is good, but the accommodation is horrible!

First of all, the woman in Mae Haad pier told us they have bungalows as well, but they are not available at the moment as it was peak season. We though it might be a nice resort then if it has got bungalows and rooms. There are actually no bungalows there, just a building with rooms. So she lied to us.

Secondly, the room smelled of mould. You couldn't breathe without having the balcony open (the only good thing about the room was the balcony in fact, even though, you could hardly see the sea from here).

The lady at the reception looks angry all the time and is far from being nice.

Don't stay here, everybody seems to be rude here and I would never come back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed three nights in carabao. The diving instructors were cool, mainly French but with Ok English. So diving part was nice. Accomodation wasn't really nice, no airconditioning, and the water smells very much like iron in the whole resort. So showering and brushing teeth and overall smell in the toilet is a bit bad. Rooms are simple. The bar at carabao is cool with nice parties, a bit loud music if you have to wake up early to go diving but I still slept good. Honestly, it might be better to just do the diving course here and arrange accommodation elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Köln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were spending 6 days (5 nights) at the Carabao Diving school in order to get our Open Water certification and we consider ourselves so very lucky to have ended up there. We had an absolutely amazing dive instructor, Dan. I'm pretty scared of depths and not a quick learner of new skills. Dan was super patient with me and helped me overcome my fear while making sure we learned everything you have to know for safe diving.That guy is so charismatic I probably would have followed him throgh hell if he had told me it was okay. The accomodation at Carabo was also very nice, clean, spacious rooms with a balcony (we could even see the ocean when looking out of the window). Cool hangout spot at the bar at night, good food at the restaurant (we especially love their breakfast). Staff in general is very helpful and friendly. Carabao definitely made our stay at Koh Tao!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I cant rate the hotel as i was not a guest, but we tried the restaurant the first night in the island.
The food was really bad, but we didnt say anything about that (it was our fault to ask for mexican food on a thai island, but after some months in asia we wanted something different), we just asked for more dip salsa for some nachos that we order, as with the second dip it was over, the ball was mostly lettuce (great for dipping...) and just some salsa over it. They refused and said that we had to pay extra for that. We said it was not fare and the waiter right away said that even with the food still on the table we had to pay for all and leave right away. He took my friends laptop and when i standed up to take it back another one punched me on the head without a previous word. All the people sitting next to us could saw everything and couldnt believe what they just have seen.
I was knocked out for a minute and then for 4 hours couldnt even remember what had happend to me for the last couple of days. Such a horrific experience...
Believe me, i am a really tolerant and non agresive guy, and never thought that asking them for some more sauce could end up with me being punched... It ruined our visit to the island... So please AVOID that place, the staff is rude and extremly agressive. I dont want that to happen to anybody else.

AVOID the restaurant, there are many other good options on the island, dont waste your time and money for thia poor food and bad people.

• Stayed February 2013
Ede
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I did the ssi divecourse by carabao. It was great because it is a small organisation what gives me a warm welcome and à nice ambiance. Our instructeur was Pierre, he was good, he knew what hè was doing. So i van say the courses our from a high quality. After the 3 days i had trust in myself and could go diving by myself (always with an instructor of course). I will recommanded carabao!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Carabao? Share your experiences!