“Fantastic time, great people at Monkey Flower” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free 24 hour shuttle!
Ranked #1 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Ko Tao
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fantastic time, great people at Monkey Flower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I just stayed at Monkey Flower with five people for four nights, and i have to say it's one of the best forms of accommodation I've ever stayed in. What makes Monkey Flower special, besides the great design of the villas and the amazing views, is the attention Lincoln and especially Steve give to you. Steve, the driver, can and will drive you anywhere on the island, basically any time day or night, which is fantastic, especially when you consider that the villa is tucked away up a pretty steep hill.

Also, he's great a recommending the best methods for going about activities like snorkeling or taking a boat trip around the island, which is essential in a small tourist destination like this, because a lot of people are out there to rip you off.

We stayed in the lower villa, and while it's the lower-end villa, it's amazing for the price. The place is incredibly spacious, and it fit five of us easily, even though it's meant for two. Hot water all the time, fantastic views, far enough from town to be secluded, but a 3-4 minute walk to the main beach. Another really cool thing is how many musical instruments are around the villa, especially in the upper one. They've got an electric piano, guitars and a drum kit available in the upper villa for the guests!

Overall, Monkey Flower is simply the place you need to stay if you go to Koh Tao. It makes you feel like you're staying in a five star resort, but with the seclusion and relaxed, island atmosphere you want on a vacation like this. Would definitely stay again if I returned to Koh Tao!

Room Tip: Recommend the upper villa if it's in your budget. The infinity pool is awesome and it's desi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your great experience at Monkey Flower Villas with the TripAdvisor world! I will tell Steve to look at your lovely review of his performance... I hope that you and your group will be back as soon as possible!
Koh Tao, Thailand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kfar-Saba, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had lovely 10 days in the resort. We were 9 people and we experienced all the 3 Villas.

Monkey flower resorts consists of 3 villas/apartments. 2 of them are actually two floors in the same building: the upper and the lower villas. Then there's the Bougonvillia. The upper floor and the Bougonvillia has two rooms each and the lower has one room.
We stayed there for 10 nights, in the first 6 nights we had the upper villa and the Bougonvillia and for the last 4 nights we had the lower villa a d the Bougonvillia.
So... Know all of it very well.
I will start by saying that before everything else, what makes it unique are the people who run the place: Lincoln the owner and Steve the driver. This made a real difference. Since the villas are not on the beach and not in the center of the town, it is required to go up and down the steep hill all day and night long. Both Lincoln and Steve were always at our service. Without this service, being in a resort in Koh Tao which is not located in the center would not make any sense and taking taxis in the island is costly and would have turned the price of the resort t be much more expensive.
The most beautiful thing in the resort is the upper villa. It is truly lovely. The villa it self and the way it is designed, the lovely swimming pool with the outstanding view of Koh-Tao beaches, the musical instruments which were great for us and made our musicians really happy.
The Bougonvillia is nice, not spacious as the upper villa and its swimming pool is quite small, yet it is a sweet place.
The lower villa is a little bit problematic. If you take it with the upper Villa, it is good but if you take it by itself, it has shortcomings. It does not have a pool, it does not have a balcony and in the living room which is the biggest place of this Villa, you don't have an air condition. So being there, far from the beach or the Town's center without the treat of the upper Villa is a bit pointless.
All the Villas need some attention to some missing things which would turn the place from very good to great: blankets to cover with, reading lights near the bed, mirrors above the sink, shelves in the bathrooms to put your staff, curtains to prevent sun light early mornings, decent path to connect the Bougonvillia with the other Villa, the air condition in the upper villa's bedroom who through cold air straight to your head.
It is important to say that Lincoln is very attentive and when there are things that he can fix for you, he will (like buying blankets). He cares very much and wants to constantly improve and that what makes the real difference.
All in all, we had great time in the monkey flower villa and we found it to be a charming place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted that you had a splendid time at Monkey Flower Villas! We are in the process of renovations on all of our villas now, and have taken note of your suggestions for improvement. I hope that we have the opportunity to show you an even better time next time!
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I honestly cannot say enough good things about the Monkey Flower. From the minute we arrived we felt extremely looked after. Both Lincoln and Steve are very friendly and aim to make your stay unforgettable. Steve is willing to drive you anywhere on the island at anytime, day or night. He took us to the best beaches and recommended some great restaurants, we want to go back to Zest for another sandwich and coffee. The villa itself was huge! There were only two of us but we loved having all the space. The design is so unique and when you look out the window or open the door you get breathtaking views of the beach and ocean. If you stay in the upper villa you will never want to leave! The infinity pool was phenomenal and the view from there beyond incredible. If you are looking for a hotel that makes you feel like you're a movie star then this is the place for you! I know I'll be back here someday when I get married for my honeymoon, it's that amazing!

Thanks for making our time in Koh Tao so memorable!

-Andrea and Sarah

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Wow, thank you so, so much for that amazing review! We are very proud of our little place, and of our special customer service, and it is always nice to be noticed this way! I hope that you will be our very special guests again as soon as possible!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We rented the lower villa, when we arrived we had a few extra persons in our group. The ever brilliant Steve immediately arranged for additional mattresses etc. The villa itself was spotless, with all the modcons often forgotten about in SE Asia. Steve the driver provided everything from local advice to transport at any hour of the day. I would wholeheartedly recommend this villa.

• Stayed August 2013
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you very, very much for the excellent Tripadvisor review! We are very proud to be in the number two spot, and working hard to be number one! I hope that you will be our very special guests again as soon as possible!!!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Steve, Mo, & Lawinn
Nanjing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

No, no, no, don't tell anybody about this piece of paradise; I want to come back again soon! I can't add much to previous reviews, everything is so excellent here. Thank you, Lincoln and Steve.
The road up is steep; I mean, steep. And, for context, I (an old guy) have recently trekked to Everest Base Camp. But my wife and I adapted by walking downhill (even under the sun; I am mad and/or English) (a twenty-minute walk), then phoning Linclon or Steve for a ride back up to the villa. This worked for all concerned..
Tfhe village area has numerous restaurants, 7-11-type markets, bookshop, and dive places.
The villa had everythibg for the self-caterer. Most of our meals were prepared ourselves. Most of the days we just lounged in or near the pool,or watched some of the 200-odd TV channels. And drank in the wonderful view over the lush foliage and out to sea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the excellent Tripadvisor review! It looks like we made a mistake, by not showing you the shortcut to the beach, which I am very sorry for. When walking to beach, it is possible to avoid the 20 minute walk down the main road, and instead, take a short path that cuts directly through to the sand... a much safer and more beautiful, five minute walk. I hope that you will come back again soon, and I will personally show you the better way to walk to the beach. I am delighted that you had a wonderful time, despite this oversight! Thank you again for being our very special guest!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Family, & Staff,
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

That is how my two grandkids described the villa...awesome. As part of our family vacation planning we happened to find The Monkey Flower Villa on Tripadvisor and after emailing Lincoln and getting quick and energetic replies to my emails I knew this was the place we were going to stay while visiting Koh Tao. So our family of eight, six adults and two children headed to the island of Koh Tao and the Monkey Flower Villa in late June where we all had a blast.

All of our expectations of the place and the customer service Lincoln promised were met and more.My twelve year old granddaughter couldn't wait to jump off the roof into that refreshing infinity pool from the moment we booked it. Lincoln I hope you checked the bamboo bridge going to the roof top of the villa because this little girl must have worn it out!

I can't add more than what's already covered on Tripadvisor of the place because everyone before us has covered it so well describing the place,the views,the pool, the music room where my son and grandkids had a blast,the large terrace with the lounges,my favorite leather bean bag chairs ,the large bathrooms built around the natural rocks, the suspended bed which my wife and I loved overlooking the bay over the tree tops....it doesn't get better than that.

My wife and I along with my son, his wife and two grandkids stayed on the second floor of the big villa and my younger son and his wife stayed on the first floor of the big villa which is a very large one bedroom unit that can accommodate more as the living area is huge but it's perfect for a couple as is it has a very large and open bathroom built around natural rocks. In fact this lower portion of the big villa was built after by Lincoln to accommodate his mother.

We ate only breakfast there on the terrace utilizing the fridge in the living room and that in the fully equipped shared kitchen behind the lower villa.However one evening we did order in and enjoyed our dinner on the terrace overlooking the bay and the village in the darkness while a full moon was peaking thru the palms.....a piece of paradise that evening.

The personal service as promised by Lincoln was provided in an exceptional manner by a very customer oriented individual in the name of Steve. He was always there for us, helping to select places to go, where to eat, where to get scooters,reaching out to help us back of the big toyota truck and always with patience, smiling and generally the kind of fellow we all wish as a friend....simply a quality person.

The rest of the staff were always there to meet our needs including moving all our stuff from the Bougainvillea where we stayed for our first night including the items in the fridge to the big villa while we were out enjoying Koh Tao.

Our five night stay at the big villa made our vacation in Koh Tao a memorable one and we now enjoy the pics of this fabulous place perched high on a hill overlooking Sairee Beach and the Bay.

Lincoln is a fascinating,interesting and energetic individual who saw the potential of this jungle like hillside and built this one of kind structure that is known as the Monkey Flower Villa.

It is certainly the place to stay on the island!

Room Tip: There is a good view and excellent infinity pool at the Bougainvillea but the best views and most co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so, so much for sharing your excellent experience at Monkey Flower Villas with the Tripadvisor world!!! It is really nice for us to hear such a great review too! We all enjoyed your stay very much, and hope that you come back again soon!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Max, Music, Steve, Mo & Lawin,
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We rented the upper and lower villa for our group of 6. Having read all the reviews and looked at the pictures we were expecting something quite special - but it surpassed our wildest expectations. It is a truly unique place to stay - luxurious comfort, quirky architecture, incredible views and customer service that is fab - not to mention the cool music room!! and you've just got to jump off the roof into the pool.

Also, there was always a wee bit of a breeze on the hill, which was very welcome for keeping cool and seemed to help keep the bugs at bay.

Steve made our trip extra special, he was there in an instant to take us all over the island, with great knowledge of the best snorkelling, beaches with shade, organising a taxi boat for the day and getting us a great price as well as recommending the best places to eat. Lincoln was the most chilled business man I have ever come across, he definatley has the right work-life balance, and can be seen motorbiking, smiling with his cool Mom riding pillion.

I would recommend this place to anyone in a heart beat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being our very special guests, and for this lovely review! Please come back again soon!!!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Max, Music, Steve, Mo & Lawin,
Koh Tao, Thailand

Been to Monkey Flower Villa? Share your experiences!