“Great location...” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 stars 238 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“Great location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Seashells is in a great location, and the beachfront rooms are very nice. However it's overpriced compared to other spots, staff aren't all that helpful, renovations are still going on and the food was a bit average. Other than frustrations with Seashells, I really enjoyed Koh Tao, loads of fun and a lovely beach. If you want peace and quiet I suggest staying on the fringes of sairee - the middle is fairly "active".

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms appear to be the only reasonably new ones, and are relatively expensive compare...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Five days stay at Seashell was a good experience. OK big clean rooms with aircon and cable tv. Nice smiling staff that actually did speak English. Location close to the action, but not to close and direct at the Beach front. Breakfast in restaurant directly at the Beach where free wifi was available.
Reception was working OK and You got clean towels for the pool every day.
Poolside a littte crowded but ok.
Checking in and out went smoothly. 10 minuttes car ride to the pier.
Diving school at the hotel ( like everywhere at Koh Tao) ;)
All in all value for Money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed in the new de luxe room, very much comfort for thb 2550 a night which was o.k. Value for money related to the overall relatively high prices on ko tao in this season. Quite swimmingpool, breakfast buffet, clean rooms nearly right to the sairee beach. A little noise can be heared of the nightclubs and other noisy tourist at night, nothing to wory about.

• Stayed August 2013
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Seashell Resort Koh Tao after pre booking and paying some months prior. We had booked two beachside pool access rooms.

When we arrived we were promptly told that they didn't have our booking before they'd even checked the computer bookings. They said that the website we booked through was a bogus site, that they were currently trying to get the site shut down. I provided the confirmation printout and I told them I wasn't leaving, that we had paid our money and that they needed to give us our room.

They said they'd phone the police so they could explain to me and I told them to go ahead. Needless to say, the police weren't called.

We were asked to take a seat as they were going to try to get intouch with the website owner.

As we waited for some news I went into the website of the alleged bogus site and checked the availability of the rooms at Seashells. Now surely if it were a bogus site, they would be still selling the rooms? All rooms were fully booked.

Then by a miracle, the staff managed to get intouch with the owner of the website who just happened to be on Koh Tao! I spoke with him on the phone and he told us he was coming with the refund on our rooms.

When he turned up the staff paid no mind to him and he came over and did indeed give our money back. Surely if the staff at Seashells were trying to track him down to close the site down, they would have caused some kind of commotion. Nothing.

I believe that they are selling the rooms, then reselling them and telling the customers that its a bogus website. If you read previous reviews its clear we aren't the only people this has happened to. I think because we kicked up a stink and we made it clear we weren't leaving, they refunded our money.

Be careful when booking this hotel.

Stayed August 2013
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Have just returned from Thailand and spent 6 nights at Seashells Resort. We pre-booked via booking.com because we wanted a guaranteed beach front view room.
On our arrival which was about 11.30am we were told check in was 2.00 o/ck as guest had not checked out of our room yet, even though check out is 11.00am. So we were told to leave our bags amongst lots of others in reception and come back later. I found the staff to be rude and not really interested in what I was saying. As my husband was feeling unwell we went and sat in the shade by the beach view rooms to wait. Looking across to the beach view rooms we saw no movement of any guests leaving or any sign of any cleaners. After an hour of waiting and my husband still not feeling very well I went back to reception to explain and to see if our room was ready, at which time the receptionist said reluctenately ok your room is ready, I was pleased but slightly miffed as we had seen no movement at all while waiting for our room. On arrival to our room our key card didn't work, I went back to reception and got greeted with more attitude and rudeness. Eventually we got into our room which I'm sure was ready when we arrived at 11.30!!
Anyway the room was of a good size, clean, 2 single beds pushed together (even though we booked a double), a bit dark as not many internal lights, but generally ok. It had a fridge / mini bar, free tea & coffee with free water, but no wardrobe or draws to put any clothes. The bathroom however had a hanging area to put your clothes? The room safe was also located in the bathroom? Wifi was very frustrating, either not working or very slow. We had an upstairs room so we had a balcony, which was ok.
The pool below our room was lovely which overlooks the sea and had a few fixed sun beds, pool towels were available from reception.

Location is good about a 10 minute taxi ride from the ferry and a 5 minute walk into Sairee
town, where you can find numerous restaurants, shops etc.
Breakfast was offered in our room rate, though I wouldn't say it's the best, poor quality, not overly hot, limited tables, and a few stray cats & dogs walking around, which the staff just did nothing about.

Overall an ok hotel but the staff really need to improve their attitude and the way they speak to guests.

Room Tip: Bech front rooms seem more modern than the back villas.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

After reading a lot of reports on trip advisor we we a bit skeptical going to this Resort.
Well after spending 3 days there we loved the place. We stayed in the Beach front rooms with swim up pool.
As the saying goes you only get what you pay for, if you stay in budget rooms they are budget where ever you go.
To often I see people complaining where they have Champagne tastes on a beer budget.
The good points{ Rooms Good size and clean, great beds and linen, great location and good beach area.
Things that could be improved front desk check needs more staff and staff to welcome you and smile.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we booked the room we were assured that we could check in around 11am as our ferry arrived around 9.30 after a long, exhausting overnight trip from Bangkok. However when we arrived we were rather rudely told that check in time was 2pm and that we had to wait until then, despite plenty of people having already checked out to catch the morning ferry. We then walked around and found another hotel that was free where could get the room immediately. I therefore canceled my booking seashell. After a long discussion they insisted on keeping a 30% cancelation fee. By that point, I didn't care as I just wanted to leave. During the whole discuion the reception staff insulted us in Thai, which I understood quite well after having lived in Thailand for 5 years. My request to speak to the manager on duty got rudely turned down. After all this time in Thailand this was the first time I encountered such a shocking behavior in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Seashell Resort Koh Tao? Share your experiences!