“Overall disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Ko Tao
Surat Thani, Thailand
“Overall disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The bungalows were clean and in a beautiful location but the staff are enough to deter any future visits. Staff claimed that myself & other guests had intentionally broken a glass window slat, which we obviously did not. Even when staff verbally recognized that it was unlikely we were at fault for the damage, they still demanded we pay for it. There was a 500 baht key deposit that they would not give back and when we insisted that it be returned, they pulled their phone out to call the police. Thai police are best avoided; we relinquished the 500 baht and left.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

absolutely terrible service, and disgusting rooms.

i called 2 nights before and was able to secure a bungalow (1,200 for a dive) for 2 nights end of December. There are two owner counterparts, a male and a female. I believe they are tight with the renowned Mr. J, because when I originally called Mr. J, I was passed on to Save Bungalows.

When we checked into our room, the man was hailing yelling at new comers who just got off the ferry "YOU NEED BUNGALOW?" as we were in mid conversation with him...that was our first sign...since the whole island seemed to be booked up.

We were walked to our room, pretty basic at first glance, hot water, somewhat stained and old bed blanket, a fridge that was wet and moulding on the inside...but we thought we'd make the best of it.

After quickly dropping off our bags and heading out for the evening, we came back only to notice that the bed was INFESTED with ants...crawling all over the top, and inside the bed sheets. After inspecting, there was a crack in the floor that seemed to lead to a nest. Went to the bathroom, and the typical area where ants can be found on the sink were preset, but in the hundreds. Walked over to inspect the other side of the cabin, and oh, a completely different species of ants...these ones larger and black, crawling into a nest in the top left corner of the cabin, all over the wall...the floor...

So, I went to the front desk to request a different room, if not then the least to have our sheets changed and the matter dealt with. The owner simply laughed, and told me to "swat them" away. I said no, not for the price I was paying for. He spoke to the other thai lady for a few minutes in thai, as she was glaring at me. I insisted that for one, I was not happy with their reaction and that I was cutting my stay short to only this one night, requesting a refund. The lady stormed ahead of me to inspect my room, and as we were, she was saying "you call me worrying for room. i give you room and you complain and complain". Out of shock, I just kept following her, as she let herself into the room. She went to the bed and said "ONE ANT"..."TWO ANT"...went to the bathroom "THREE AUNT"...well...my boyfriend and I had just killed about a hundred. She said "YOU COME DOWN CRYING ABOUT THREE AUNTS I COUNT THREE AUNTS". The debate then got heated as I was flabbergasted with the lack of respect and terrible customer service I was receiving. Finally I said forget it, were checking out tomorrow. That's when she said no refunds...and that's when talk about tourism police came in and she shut right down.

Anyways, we slept the night, yes, with aunts crawling on us throughout the night...sleeping with the lights on.

When we went to check out the next morning, the owner gave us only our room key deposit back. My boyfriend said "and....the rest of our money for tonight's stay that were not staying anymore?" he said "we normally dont give refunds...." a few heated words, we got our refund, and got the heck out of there.

my best advice is dont panic and settle for this place....we wandered the island and found a guest house...and then a different bungalow (try Beach Bungalows beside Regal...500 baht a night yet no hot water, but very clean, and very friendly staff..and right on the beach to boot).

stay clear. its run by careless, disrespectful owners.

Room Tip: dont come here regardless...you will be disappointed when you see other accommodations for far less
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seventeen Seventy, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at save bungalows for 3nights and had a good time. I stayed at one of the 250 b rooms, which they don't tell you about at first.
Since me and my 2 friends stayed there for 5 nights and had 2 rooms they agreed to lower the price to 200 B for us.
Our room was very clean, comfy bed and fan. Bathroom was outside. I have no complains and had a very good time there. If you end up staying there ask for the house special mixed fruit shake, it's amazing!!!
Oh and the best way to get around the island is by motorbike. I rented mine (manual gear) at Lucky Shop, just a few shops away for 100 b a day.

Room Tip: Ask for the 250 rooms if you want to save.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here three nights while doing a doing course. The first two were free, so I couldn't complain too much. On the third night, when the rude and money-grubbing woman at the front desk charged me 500 baht for a basic, charmless bungalow up a steep path, complaining felt fine. She charges for a security locker, her laundry prices are higher than all the stores nearby, and there's a loud bar nearby. Walk a few hundred meters in the opposite direction and there are lots of cleaner, cheaper, quieter options.

• Stayed October 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The reason I checked in here was due to my previous bungalow being fully booked past the original week I had stayed. I stayed for 3 nights at at a cost of 500 baht per night. You can pay more which gets you a tv and aircon.

It is budget accommodation situated just 2 mins from the ferry pier. It is quiet in terms of traffic, however in peak season I'm sure all the bungalows can create noise being in such close proximity to each other. In my case I stayed in number 4 and had a guy living underneath me - you could hear him coughing and sorting out his belongings well in to the night.

For an extra 100 baht you can stay in the mountains, have hot water, a great view and peace and quiet from the world. It shows what doing a little research can do.

It depends what you are after. Stay here if you are busy diving all day and need a close place to crash and be near food and beverage.

If you want a peaceful holiday to relax and get away from it all, look up sunrise bungalows or sea view resort. (I have a review of sunrise on here)

Overall 3 days was an ok time to spend at save, even though it lacks personality - it has free wifi and is close to everything including sairee beach, a 20 min walk away. Recommend for a short stay. A

• Stayed September 2012
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Nice place to stay, with very friendly staff. The bungalows also have their own shop and reliable motorbike rental. Rooms are basic but clean, and the price is amongst the cheapest in the area.

Things to do include snorkelling at the reef just off the beach from the Sensi Paradise Beach Resort, which features an underwater ship wreck. Eating fresh seafood on the corner near the pier. And having a drink and a game of pool at Moovs.

• Stayed August 2012
Kopenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I cannot recommend it. Koh Tao is very crowded and the bungalows are very dated, barely cleaned and very expensive compared to what you get. We stayed one night and moved back to Samui. The bungalows and Koh Tao were very disappointing. Staff was one of the most unfriendly I have seen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Save Bungalows? Share your experiences!