“Good for Koh Tao. Upper mid level hotel. Easy and clean, great pool.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa

You added Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1/51 Moo 2, Ko Tao 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Ko Tao
“Good for Koh Tao. Upper mid level hotel. Easy and clean, great pool.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was nice and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room (3rd level delux) was very clean and spacious and probably worth the upgrade it you can. I wouldn't stay on the ground floor as it would get foot traffic right past your room but second floor would be fine.

The bed was enormous and comfortable and appears to be the same for every room. Our room had everything you would want and included a nice balcony and seating. You can tell that the place has been well designed and could be made into something very special but it appears to be half finished at this stage and lacks some upper market polish to finishings and fittings. Don't let this put you off though as this doesnt really affect guest stays. When they finish the bar area above the restaurant it will be absolutely fantastic. The location is absolutely perfect. 3 min walk from ferry and mae haed shop area and absolutely quiet at night. Easy 10 min walk to best restaurants northward up the paved footpath.

The breakfast is lack luster and is a bit of a downer. Absolutely fine for filling you up in the morning for a days activities but could be better by Thai hotel standards and what you pay. The pool and swim up bar are perfect and the gym functional if not very basic. My ratings are based on the price and expectations for koh Tao, not Bangkok. So 4/5 I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed my 9 days stay in this resort.

The rooms are big and clean, with really cute balconies and the best bathroom I've ever experienced in Thailand.
The location is also quite good, minutes from Mae Haad pier and small village.
Finally, the pool is really what I preferred. An actual pool bar, nice depth, with plenty of room to swim.
Note that as the pier is very close, it is better to walk for 10 minutes to Sairee Beach for a sea swim.
The hotel also provides a nice workout area, clean and well-equipped.

Only 2 negative things : for one, the breakfast quality was very irregular. You may get the complete works one day, and next day the food will be scarce and cold. The manager's presence seemed to improve things in a big way, though. Make sure you get there early, so you can grab a few of the remaining yummy pancakes (yum :-))

Other source of annoyment after a while, the music played at the pool bar is TERRIBLE, as well as repetitive. After hearing the same easy listening renditions of « Light my fire » and « Hey Jude » for the third times in a row, I just felt like strangling myself with the CD player cord. But hey, it's only a problem to certain people, after all.
Therefore, I would definitely recommand this resort to my friend... And even to my relatives.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 9 nights at this hotel and were very pleased by a lot of things. Rooms (as the bathroom and the pool) are huge and clean. The room boasted a nice shower too. Despite being close to the pier, the room we were in (214) was quiet and we weren't bothered by boat noises. The location is perfect : It's only a 2 minutes walk to mae haad and 10 minutes walk to Sairee Beach. Don't take a taxi if you come from the seatran pier. One downside was that the breakfast was very repetitive and was sometimes cold. It was good nonetheless. Also, the 3 same cds were played at the pool and I can say that If I listen again to some Bob Marley songs soon, I'm gonna get really crazy. All in end, it was more than fine and really enjoyable for the price we payed (~2700 THB / night) and I would definitely return there.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Loved this hotel, beautiful three tiered pool, no fight for sun beds, and short walk to all the action at Sairee beach. Young man on the front desk was incredibly polite and helpful, breakfast was average, it seems that if you get up too late there is not much left! Rooms are very nice and comfortable with lovely clean bathrooms. The hotel offer a free shuttle to the pier which was handy and only a short distance away. Overall a very nice hotel which is near the action but away from the bustle of Sairee beach at night. I would recommend and return!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We arrived in Ko Tao having booked accommodation at Wind Resort through Booking.com. Confusion reigned at Wind Resort so I decided to see what else was available nearby. Using various online means I discovered that, for not much more money, we could stay at Montra. I went to check it out, knowing that a a twin room would 2000 bhat a night, advertised on both third party websites and their own. I spoke to the young gentleman at reception and asked if he had any twin rooms available. They did, but it would be 3000 bhat a night. I told him I'd seen it advertised on their own website for 2000 per night. He suggested I might have been looking at an 'old website'! When I mentioned I could book through a third party and receive a cheaper rate he told me that they would take my money but not be able to give me a room. The guy was clearly trying to rip me off. A shame as the place looked ok. All things turned out ok though as in the end we went to the Regal round the corner, much nicer and only 1700 bhat a night! Result. As they say in Scotland, "get it right up ya!"

• Stayed August 2012
Budapest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our guests book a room for two nights at this hotel but unfortunately there is an accident that they cannot make it there for one night. So, we tried to negotiate for a 1 night refund at the hotel but the operator said cannot. Then we asked for an upgrade, they also said cannot because of the full occupancy. Our guests understood well about this, so they wonder if they can have an early check-in, which should be possible because they book 2 nights, and missed 1 night out already. So, the room should be there for them. The operator just made a very wrong decision by saying,

"No, your guests cannot do the early check in. They can check in at 12. The room they miss for one night is our responsibility, not yours. If we have a walk-in guest, we will sell the room. Your responsibility finishes when the guests leave your hotel. What we'll decide to do with your guests doesn't concern your matter. If you want to talk, please contact our owner."

"Could you transfer to the owner, please?"

"No"

"Can I talk to the Front Office Manager?"

"We don't have. Contact our owner if you want to reserve the missing night for your guest by email."

"and when will your owner contact us back, because the guests will leave to you tomorrow?"

"when the owner is free and finishes all other jobs"

"Do you have the owner's number?"

"Cannot tell you"

"...... ok, but this case, you do not refund the missing night and why can't the room be reserved for our guests to do the early check in when they already have to pay for 2 nights?"

"It's our hotel policy, we all have different policies for each hotel. You understand this point or not? Alright. (hung up the phone)"

Truly cannot understand for this small issue that they really don't know how to manage or service with the service mind. Yes the hotel might look pretty, but the service is truly ugly how the operator, which is the hotel's representative, talks or services to their guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed in the Motra Hotel, Ko Tao Mae Haad earlier this year. I stayed from around 4th January - 12th. I was only intending on staying here for 5 days, but i loved it so much that i didnt want to leave. The rooms are immaculate, always kept clean, the rooms are massive so are the beds. The foos was realy good, you can get room service. My favourite was the massaman curry, one of the best i had in thailand! The staff were so friendly and helpful. I got really sick on the morning i had to catch my boat and leave, the staff were amazing, they gave me tablets to make me feel better and even packed my bags for me and escorted me to the port (which is only round the corner). Sairee beach is about a 10 minute walk down the road which isnt a problem, i was really happy with the location. The pool is lovely and always kept clean and the private beach is beautiful. This hotel is very peaceful, there werent many children around and i truly felt like i was in paradise when i laid by the pool or beach. All in all this place pretty much made my holiday as i had previously had some horrible experineces in thailand!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!