“What a beautiful place. Great meals and drinks(BoB) at the bar.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phi Phi Relax Beach Resort

You added Phi Phi Relax Beach Resort to your Saves list
Phi Phi Relax Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   10/2 Phak Nam Bay, Koh Phi Phi, Aonang, Muang, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand   |
“What a beautiful place. Great meals and drinks(BoB) at the bar.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Fire dancing at night. No tv,radio or electricity during the day. Perfect for adventure or to just lay in the sun on a ham. Its a must to stay for two - three days.its so safe. With 45min jungle hikes to the main land and private long boat hire available to travel to maya bay and the rest of the other smaller phi phi islands or spots. No need to arrange with group tours that are so expensive and structured. I shall be staying again this year and have booked for a week this time. Maps of the island are available online(hiking trails). Its what u make of it and who u go with. The perfect place for a weekend away with your friends and fam. Much better to stay here than camp out in the wild. I have traveled from phuket, phi phi,kabi, samui,bangkok all over thailand and my stay at relax beach was the best. Happy travels. 8 out 10 in my books.

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
Stellenbosch, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The whole experience of taking a water taxi from Tonsai to arrive at this resort was so memorable. As we approached the small isolated beach with its bamboo bungalows and welcoming bar we felt that we truly arrived in paradise. The resort is very isolated. The only way to reach Tonsai is a 30 minute trip by longtail boat / water taxi which will cost you 150 baht per head each time. We chose to explore the island by foot on one of our 3 days there and walked through the jungle to the famous 'pee pee' view point and then down a few very steep steps to the town area where we had lunch. We love camping and this resort offered a similar outdoor experience. The room facilities are very basic (no hot water although this did not bother us because it is always humid in Thailand) and the bed was very comfortable. It was refreshing to hear the waves lapping so close to our window as opposed to hearing the drumming sound of an aircon in the luxury hotel we stayed in prior to Phi Phi. We did find a cockroach in our room once but this is not the end of the world. Since the resort is so isolated you will most probably eat at the resort every evening. Prices were quite reasonable and the food were mostly great. The cocktails at the bar area was awesome. Their mango and strawberry lassi's (smoothies) are a hit! The bar man was so friendly and full of jokes. In general the staff was very friendly (except for one of the younger waitresses and unfortunately the resort manager is not a very approachable kind of person). The only big draw back of our visit was not the resort itself but the WEATHER. Although always humid we had rain and overcast weather on all 3 of our days there (picture gloomy London weather with a massive heater on!). When we hiked through the jungle it was in pouring rain although I told myself to count my blessings as it is quite a memorable experience walking in a real jungle. We went out to scuba on one of the days and the visibility was terrible but I know it will be awesome if the sea is calmer and the sun is shining. I will never make the mistake of visiting Thailand again in the rainy season because that beautiful picture you have of turquoise water and cloudless skies are far from a reality in June (maybe we just hit a bad patch!). Will definitely recommend Phi Phi Relax resort if you love the outdoors and a bit of adventure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately we weren't able to see the best of koh phi phi because of the weather however we have a few points to make about the hotel.

The location is amazing but I assume that everywhere else on koh phi phi is the same.

The staff were mainly friendly apart from one receptionist who was particularly stubborn and inconsistent. The lack of an offering of late check out even though the rooms were available was appalling. The fact that wifi 50 baht is a bit stupid. It's 50 baht why not give it for free. Every other hotel we've stayed at so far, the majority of which are cheape, offer free wifi. Our mosquito net was substandard and I was bitten a fair few times.

To the member of staff that falsely accused us of losing our key, it would be good if you could sort issues out with your staff before accusing your customers as it does not come across well. It's just common sense to ensure you have all the facts before basically having a go at us.

All in all there are probably better places to stay at for the same price

• Stayed June 2013
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

All in all, I really enjoyed my experience in Koh Phi Phi. However, there are certain things that I would have liked knowing before booking 3 nights there. In retrospective, all credit of my positive experience goes to the island, not the hotel.

To begin,
1. This is a resort. This means that it is isolated from everything. Therefore, every meal you eat must be at the restaurant (it's more expensive, but reasonable and not excessive).
2. If you would would like to leave the resort, there are two taxi-boats: 8 am and 12:30 pm. Of course, this is not complimentary and it costs you 150 bahts a head for a one-way trip. During other times, if there is a boat leaving, you can get it for 200.
3. The manager is unfriendly and unhelpful. I had seen these reviews as well and figured it was not a problem. But honestly, it makes a difference. He is quite indifferent to any comment and does not intervene as a manager should.
4. They keep a tab on what you eat and transportation. I suggest you do not wait until they end to pay it, and make sure they cross out stuff in front of you, as my friends were overcharged and had to pay certain things twice.
5. You can only really go swimming comfortably in the morning during high-tide. The low tide is quite intense and very rocky.
6. No electricity from 6 am to 6 pm (you wake up sweating)
7. Staff does not speak English (only 2 or 3 do)

My unique experience:
1. I feel that I should write this, but this situation is quite exceptional. The first night, as my friend was undoing her mosquito net as she was trying to stop a cockroach, she saw a beige mass on top of the net. After it was undone, a baby rat fell onto our bed. Our friends investigated, and then we found another. These rats were born less than 24 hours ago and thereby, a mother rat had been in our room.

When we went down to the reception, they didn't seem surprised really, but came up to our room anyways. They sort of teased us because we were 3 girls panicking, but were nice. And then, they threw the rats away (literally, threw them of our balcony). We changed rooms and it was all fine.

Now here is where the manager should have intervened. The next morning, all of our tabs had been transferred and the name on the board for the half day excursion had been changed and we knew he had been notified. I told him that we changed rooms, and he didn't react at all.

Yes, we are young, but that doesn't make us any less valuable as customers. We are respectful clients and we were traveling as a group of 10 there. You would think he would apologize, or at least assure we were ok. But he made no comment whatsoever for the next 2 days.

2. Next unique situation was the viewpoint. All the reviews seemed to say that the sunset from the viewpoint was great. However, we never made it. Keep in mind that the trail is 30 minutes up in the jungle, with wildlife. We were stopped by numerous aggressive monkeys (not cute ones, monkeys hissing with their canines and ready to attack). These were wild ones and looked quite dangerous, who eventually chased us out of the jungle. We believe that as asian couple before us had fed them to make them get away from them, which made them extra-aggressive for us. Don't feed wildlife.

3. To the left of the resort when facing the sea, there is a fisherman's village and many rocks. If you walk 30 minutes on those rocks, it will be very worth it. There are 2 beautiful resorts next door. One which had an infinity pool. Of course, it's frowned upon to go in a resort, but it's worth it. And if you don't try, you don't know.

Positive experiences:
1. Beautiful view
2. Many excursions available (prices are higher than the village, but when you think of the taxi cost to get there and back and the price entry fees to the parks, it's worth it)
3. Diversified menu, good food
4. Clean rooms
5. Good massages

Recommendation: For this price, I believe there are more hotels available with better facilities. But, they all resemble each other. I would suggest 1-2 nights maximum to enjoy the experience to it's fullest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My daughter and I arrived here in Feb after a terrible experience in Railey Beach. This seemed like Heaven. No road access but they sent a boat for us.. We had a bamboo bungalow on the beachfront just steps from the sea. Electricity goes off during the day, fan and cold water shower very basic and perfect. This took me back to the Philipinnes in 1980's and in my view it is how a South East Asian beach resort should be, simple and natural. You waken to the sound of the cicadas in the trees over the beach (6.30 on the dot) then then one or two long tails sputter into life and the day begins sitting on the cushions on the verandah watching the sun rise. Breakfast is a stroll down the beach front paddling in the crystal sea. Ok food, great banana pancakes. You can hire a canoe and paddle to the sophisticated resort in the next bay and feel that you are in the best place. Lie in a hammock, snorkel, climb through the jungle to viewpoint and down to main port town ( backpacker hell)
The staff were fine and joking with us. But the French Manager is surly and unfriendly which creates a bad atmosphere, he appears to be disinterested in enquiries or compliments.
I really pray that this place is not developed further there are so few left like this, I want to go back!

Room Tip: Choose beach front. Don't expect first class anything this is not what it's about. There is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited about staying here after seeing pictures and reading some of the better reviews, but I was disappointed.

The private beach is just beautiful - a credit to the island, not the resort.

We stayed in a garden bungalow, which I think is the most basic room. Just didn't like it. Dark, dingy, smelly (as no real segregation between toilet and bedroom) and very clostrophobic. The towels were quite disgusting, so I would suggest that you take your own. No ventilation throughout the day due to no electricity until 6pm, which makes for a very uncomfortable stay.

Nothing to do here at all. The only way to get into tonsai is to pay for a taxi boat in (very expensive). The restaurant is okay - a bit hit and miss - and I have to say I got ill for the first time in Thailand while staying here.

Staff were fine. Nothing close to the usual warmth of Thailand hospitality, but hey ho.

The crabs on the beach were a major highlight for me! Hilarious little things. We stayed up each night with a Chang and just watched them.

3 days was too long here. I'd suggest staying 1-2 nights and booking a better room (assuming there are better ones!)

Shame really, was so looking forward to it.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as one of the hotels across Thailand for our honeymoon. We we're bitterly disappointed and wanted to leave early. There were some pros however but mainly cons.

Cons:
•majority of staff at restaurant were rude and unattentive. A few occasions we had to get our own menus
•After complaining to the rude French manager about smoke from burning leaves behind our cabin that drifted in and made our clothes smell and us cough, he told me I was wrong so I had to show him, to which we didn't get an apology and it got put out after complaining twice as it was happening for 3 days !!
• the only restaurant there was was overpriced
• the kitchen had loads of flies due the bins being stored 0.5 mtrs away from food prep.
• food was very oily, made us ill
•had to pay 300 baht each for longboat

Pros:
•amazing beach and warm sea
( although you could find this elsewhere)
• 1 nice lady at restaurant gave us an umbrella when it rained

Please dont make the same mistake as we did.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Phi Phi Relax Beach Resort? Share your experiences!