“Beautiful Bay!” 4 of 5 stars

on Phi Phi Ley, Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The world famous Maya Bay, location of the film “The Beach” starring Leonardo Dicaprio, located in Phi Phi Ley, with white sandy beach, surrounded by gigantic limestone cliffs and coral reefs.
London
“Beautiful Bay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Beautiful bay but just a picture opportunity!!

We went on a half day tour from phi phi island and left first thing in the morning (best time to visit) Stayed on Maya Bay for just over an hour, was plenty of time to have a look round and enjoy the beautiful scenery and take those all important pictures.

Think it would be very hard to stay here much longer than this - lots of tourists arriving on tours and by taxi boats throughout the whole day!
In spite of this sea was very clean and calm, Maya Bay is beautifully kept.

Definitely worth a visit!

Visited January 2013

Salisbury, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
“Stunning!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

December 2012- I had built this place up in my expectations and was not disappointed.. As we approached in our long tail boat we were very impressed!

We expected it to be full of tourists and we just added to it, but I have an imagination and could see past the hoards of people. The scenery was not spoilt by the masses of people anyway and it was well looked after.

Definitely worth a visit!

Visited December 2012
Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
“pretty amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

very nice apart from the crowds. just too many tours there ruin the view. but everything else the scenic just great!

Visited January 2013
Timisoara, Romania
8 attraction reviews
“paradise on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was my dream to be there sometime and last year my wish come true. Is taking your breath when you arrive there. Even with a lot of tourists that are there is magical place. The water is so clear and the sand is unique. I could stay there for the rest of my life, even with no utilities. I don't have more words. You should go there at least once in a lifetime.

Visited December 2012
Mainz, Germany
13 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Well, of course, going there after watching "The Beach" you have a certain image in your mind and your subsequent raised expectations, and upon beholding its first glimpse you feel rather disappointed to see so many tourists (and a bit of littering as its side-effect). But if you settle yourself down, you start realizing how amazingly gorgeous the place actually is. For the moments I wanted to get away from the "crowd", I would just walk off to the quiet corner on the beach. There may still be a couple of people around, but no one bothers you and you can have your peace.

Honestly, I wish it was a tad bit less commercial and less crowded, but I loved it nonetheless. I like to think of it as: If it weren't so commercial, I probably couldn't afford going there.

Visited August 2012