“Amazing location and view, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel

You added Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel to your Saves list
Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   58 Moo 7 Tambol Ao-Nang | Amphur Muang, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
San Francisco, California
“Amazing location and view, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I agree with other TripAdvisor reviews. PROS: the view, clean room, good breakfast with lots of options, location, beach front access, pool, did I mention the view? CONS: it's a little outdated and priced rather high for the quality of hotel. This place could definitely use an upgrade, but if you consider it for what it is, I would definitely recommend staying here if only for the view, cleanliness and location in Ton Sai village - a combination that appeared to be hard to find. This place is the farthest you can get from the loud bars without leaving TonSai village, and still have all these features (see PROS). If you want something nicer and more bang for your buck - maybe go stay at the Holiday Inn or somewhere on the other side of the island, because I would be amazed if you find something better in Ton Sai village.

Room Tip: If you can, request one of the three person rooms on the second floor. Your balcony has an AMAZING v...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

After reading all the negative comments on trip advisor, I was petrified to stay in this hotel. Yes, the hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment but at least my room was clean. Our room was on the ground floor and we had a lovely view of the ocean. Be warned the music from the beach pubs can be a bit loud at night, so if you want peace and quiet this hotel is not for you. The breakfast buffet was average.

It is all about the location…..it’s location is great! Their pool area is lovely and you could walk from the pool area straight on to the beach. In walking distance from lots of little pubs & restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Firstly to say the reason I gave the hotel a 2 star was purely because of views and private little beach thing they had going there. That's it.

We were here on Honeymoon and decided to treat ourselves with a reasonably expensive hotel... as newly weds with not much money R1600 per night is rather pricey.compared to what we have paid for the remainer of our holiday here and we got better service.

Firstly with regards to the hotel... the gorgeous pool you see there is by far a breathtaking view no doubt about it.... if you like bathing in satans fire pitt then you will love the sauna pool provided. Id rather have had a hot shower and id be cooler. The beach is a winner for cooling down. Try it.

The aircon... pathetic. I sweated the whole night.

The breakfast. .. disgusting! Flies on the food, no cover for the food. And who serves curry for breakfast! I get that it needs to be a mixture of food but it was rank curry! Also its all outside and the whole room shares one pathetic fan!? Sweating my balls off from breakfast already.

Cocktails and happy hour?... dont bother. Rather get a bucket on the beach.

The service was okay. The pool restaurant food was okay, not great and not good. Don't order a toasted sandwich, they just don't get it with regards to a melted cheese sarmie... more like onion bread sarmie.

Very disappointed. Phi phi is gorgeous! The nightlife is incredible and the people are friendly every where.
I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone. Ever.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Ar condicinado nao funciona direito, quartos velhos. Custo beneficio quase ok. Vista e localizacao muito boas. Staff atencioso.
Ar con does not works properly. Old furniture, rooms does not smells good. Location very good and view good as well. Staff nice. Breakfast in the average.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed at the PP Cabana for 5 nights during Sokran 2014.

Really mixed feelings about the hotel as on one hand the views are amazing but not sure if this is outweighed by the run-down rooms/pool and overall dated feel.

It seems that the hotel gets by on the views and everything else seems not to matter.

Rooms:

We had top floor pool/sea view. Room was clean although sliding shower door kept falling off when getting in/out. Lights in room did not work. Overall room was dark and dated with a stunning view from balcony which is this hotel summed up.

Friends were staying ground floor and their room was more modern - so maybe those with no view have nicer interior?

Music from the beach is loud from rooms also, I sleep with earplugs so nnot a problem for me but you need to be prepared!

Gym:

I booked this hotel as I like to go gym in the morning. I Am not overly fussy, maybe a working treadmill and some weights and water are fine. I was very disapointed. Gym basically consists of dirty dark room with 3 non working bicyles and rusty bench press. There really was nothing to do. No AC and No water either - I was directed to the bar to buy a bottle. Pictures added here.

Pool:

Plenty of space and always sunbeds available. Stunning views of the bay. Staff very friendly and helpful although could do better if more visible.

The pool has lots of chlorine so can make eyes sting. Also looks like it needs a good clean as tiles in pool are dark and would look better.

Food/Drinks:

Happy Hour Cocktails basically consist of sugary watery drinks.

Overall drinks were around 4/10 in terms of quality.

Food was good and well prepared.

Service:

House keeping and pool/restaurant staff were nice and friendly.

Reception staff were inexperienced and disorganised.

Staff seem to have good intentions although overall they just have not been trained very well by the hotel which is reflected in the way they interact with customers.

**Bad Experience:

I paid my food/drink bill of THB 5000 no questions.

We had drinks by the pool my friends signed to their room and then decided to pay cash instead - and wrote "Paid" on the receipt.

On check out this was charged around £7 to their room. We asked to get the receipt from pool as we wrote paid and would be resolved. This was "Unavailable" and staff insisted on checking CCTV which took over an hour. As our boat was leaving we had to go.

We didnt mind the amount, more the principle and we were being interrogated like criminals which was not appreciate.

Reception manager came out and we explained had to go to boat. He didnt really seem to care. I just paid as we had to leave. I asked for his card so that I could follow up email afterwards. Manager refused to give me his name or card.

I was so angry I took a photo snd he covered his face with hands! (Photo added)

This left a bad taste after our stay.

Summary:

This hotel is views and not much more. PP island is paradise.

We travel frequently and like luxury although are flexible in line with the the local area. Fully appreciate that on a remote island things maybe a little more dated and slow, thats fine, but there should still be a minimal level of service and maintenance.

The hotel should also not list as having a gym if it really doesn't as this will just annoy people.

General impression is that the management of the hotel try to spend as little as possible in front line training/upkeep of hotel. This is a shame as the hotel could be phenominal and would pay more to go if standards were better.

Banyan Villa looked like a really nice hotel and would probably book this when go PP again.

• Stayed April 2014
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Alright, let's start with the fact that ko phi phi really is paradise and a rather unique experience. Not only are there no cars on the island it only really takes a little while to walk from one end to the other. It is perhaps this isolation and quaintness which make it so ideal a place and it is hard to tell whether what feels slightly older and quainter is by design or is really a matter of not being able to deliver western type modernity.
That being said, the hotel itself has beds, showers etc, but it is the small things that make everything seem old or off like salt water in the sink, no elevators, faded paint, chipped tiles in the pool, etc..
However, that is part of the charm as the pool was fantastic and really felt like we were away from the rest of the world, even a walk through the open air lobbies in between stairs emphasized this. Isolation and quiet were only heightened by the fact this hotel is actually separated from most of the rest of the island and the partying on the other side.
The fact that most service people only spoke Thai was both refreshing and a little frustrating as we had an issue with the first room we had smelling like a toilet and it took a while for us to be switched rooms. That being said, all service people near the pool were more than eager to move umbrellas, get drinks etc..
If one can get over the fact that it feels older it is actually a relaxing and amazing place to spend your time in paradise. I would give it four stars except it bills itself as a four star hotel and I find it hard to reconcile the obviously lagging aspects of the hotel with four stars. I would still recommend this hotel however as it was an amazing trip and while my room may not have been perfect, the age of the hotel lent ambience and the pool and beach locations are both so perfect it would be hard to find fault.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel has so much potential, I actually feel for them as it's obviously really suffered from the Tsunami in 2004 and has never really recovered.

Yes it's old, a bit daggy, the towels look like they've been around since 1974 and the place has somewhat of an eerie vibe to it BUT we were blown away by the view from our room. It was spacious and had two big balcony's. There were 3 of us and there was plenty of room for all.
request 1226 if you can!
The pool is fantastic (apart from the scungy towels) and we even organised a Longboat tour with one of the Waiters from the comfort of our sun lounge! It was the best $1500THB we spent. 3 hours on our own private Longboat, it was awesome!

The location is absolutely perfect, in my opinion the best spot on the Island. nestled right in between the two bays, you're guaranteed a good view from either side (although the view over the pool and to the bay is way better). It's a 2 minute walk into the main hussle and bussle as well as the pier but far enough that the noise from the beach parties aren't too bad. You can still hear it though.

The food was pretty awful, go and eat in town rather than the hotel (Papaya was the best food we ate in Thailand!).
Wifi is extremely limited and only available in the Lobby, annoying.

A convenient stay, not a luxurious one.

Room Tip: 1226 - large corner room with 2 balconies, 3 beds and an incredible view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel? Share your experiences!