“outrigger” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort

You added Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49 Moo 8 | T. Aonang, A. Muang Krabi, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand (Formerly Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort And Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Best Deal: Save 10% Now
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“outrigger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

what fantastic resort we stayed in a delux bungalow no wifi in room you have to go to reception area. but very spacious out side garden view large veranda. water every day breakfast good choice staff friendly very attentive to your needs our transport to resort was by speed boat what a great experience both there and back

Room Tip: variety of bungalows to choose from according to your budget not wheel chair friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed in Outrigger Phi Phi Island for four nights to end off a 10 day visit to Thailand. I cannot compliment this establishment too highly. From arrival to departure was one enjoyable and satisfying experience. The facilities are 5star, the staff helpful and friendly and the surroundings and nature something to be cherished forever. A must-do-again trip that I can recommend to anybody wanting to "get away from it all"

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was my third visit to this resort. I stayed here with my partner & 4yo. We stayed here for 4 nights. It was the perfect end to a busy holiday throughout Phuket & Bangkok. http://asiapacificislandescapes.com.au/

There is a tidal beach with buoyant salty water, a beach bar serving basic cocktails & your choice of a hammock or lounge chair to laze the day away. My 4yo loved the vast pool area, especially the mini waterslide & stepping stones.

We had filtered ocean views from our Deluxe Bungalow. It was clean & comfortable, offering standard minibar & tea/coffee making facilities plus a nightly turndown service. It also offers standard mod-cons of aircon, TV & ipod docking station. However if you want 5 star luxury, this is not the place for you.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast daily, however it was not as impressive as some of the buffets we sampled on the mainland. This was understandable considering it's remoteness. For dinner each night we took a short stroll to the village behind the resort where we had a choice of local cuisine for local prices. There are also a few small open bars run by friendly locals where we met other international travellers & my 4yo played with some of the local kids.

We all enjoyed the snorkelling day trip to the other island/beaches.

This resort is remote & a perfect spot to relax & escape busy-ness of the mainland. Great for families, great for couples - I will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
New Jersey

Location.....beautiful
Rooms.....worn
Showers....weak
Food.....fair
Beverages/alcohol....seriously watered
Staff...some nice, some bored, some sincere
Transportation....fine
Pool....terrific

Definitely not a 5. Borderline 4

Stayed July 2014
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

It was a good stay.I liked the place and surrounding.Just 5 mins walk to phi phi village were you can get good food at a very reasonable price ,some trip arranged to nearby places.Restaurants inside resorts are also good.I felt them to be a bit costly but they were worth it.Over all a good stay .

Room Tip: WiFi only in common area.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at Outrigger for 2 nights when I visited Phi Phi Island. Overall it was a nice experience. The resort itself was kind of isolated which was good and bad at the same time. The good part was that it’s quieter than downtown Phi Phi but the downside was you need to hire a long tail boat wherever you want to go. I just stayed at the resort for the 2 days I stayed there since I didn’t want to spend extra money on the long tail boat. Fortunately, there was a small local village right behind the resort so my meals got taken care of. I don’t like hotel food and luckily there were some local places I could go for food.

Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
- The resort itself was nice, though the room was a little outdated in terms of 4-5 star hotel.
- The pool area was very big and nice.
- In general, the service was good. There was a young male manager at front desk who was very nice and helpful. However, there were some girls at front desk who didn’t speak English very well and kind of being rude.
- There was a small local village right behind the resort so no need to worry about the food. The food in the local village was good (Go to Blue Lagoon!). I tried several different ones and they’re all good. It’s like 150 baht per dish which was ok but kind of pricy for the food in Thailand.

Cons:
- You need to pay 200 baht from the mail pier to resort each way. They could charge us more on the hotel but I think the boat ride should be included since boat is the only way to get there.
- Only front desk area has Wifi, no wifi in the room. This is kind of inconvenient so DVD rental at front desk is kind of competitive :P
- The resort is big. Your room may be in the back of the resort and it could be a 10-15 min walk to front desk and the beach.
- In one day, the beach is sometimes clean but sometimes it’s not very clear. I think it’s because of the current.
- The first day I arrived was raining all day. I could not do anything but staying in my room. With no wifi, it could be a disaster.
- The air-conditioning is not working very well. I called and the technician was very nice and fixed the problem.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

First, the good. The beach is beautiful. The inside of the rooms are pretty nice, but the privacy (individual huts) is even better. Also, the food at their Marlin restaurant is good (but not at Coconut Grill).

The trips nearby are amazing! Take them, take them all! Especially Phi Phi Le! Whether or not to do them through the hotel is a good question. There is a tiny village (a.k.a. two alleys) behind the hotel where you can book cheaper day trips. I can't speak on those though, because I only found out about them after we booked through the hotel. The hotel denies the existence of this area because it provides all the same services as the hotel, but for cheaper prices. The characters do seem like something out of an episode of Twin Peaks, though, so proceed at your own risk.

Now the bad...
You'll go stir crazy! And you'll go broke. This place is a jail, albeit a beautiful one. Our main complaint about this hotel is access to the outside world. If you want to go to the only real town (Tonsai) on the island with the only ATM, then you must pay your A off. Or sweat it off.

To get to Tonsai Bay, you can either take the 1h 45m walk through the jungle (which they discourage you from doing) or the long tail boat shuttle that only leaves at 10:30am and costs 200 baht ($6). But if you're like most people and you're doing some morning activity (snorkeling, diving, getting attacked by monkeys) then you are going to pay. After 4pm, a "shuttle boat" costs 1,000 baht ($30) one way! And if you want to return, it's 1,800 baht ($54)!!!! Compare that to any other island in Thailand (free- 200 baht) and you feel really trapped right away. To be fair, you can split this cost with other hotel guests BUT you have to arrange that on your own. There's no sign up list. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it's a bit awkward to approach strangers on vacation and ask them to take a boat ride with you and "oh yeah, chip in too." We did anyway. We were fortunate enough to recruit a very nice mother and daughter. But at our scheduled departure time, a thunderstorm broke out. We showed up anyway and so did our new friends. The staff advised us of the dangers of making the trip in this weather, so we sat there and deliberated. 15 minutes later the man who scheduled the boat for us approached us to say that we had to pay for the trip and that we lost the time from the trip while we were deliberating (right next to him). He was also the person who was advising us not to go, and now all of a sudden he was attempting to lock us into a trip he told us was unsafe. Not to mention we were sitting right next to him and he could easily have informed us if we were running low on time. Thanks for your hospitality, Captain Jerk.

Speaking of captains, the hotel excursion we did earlier that morning was supposed to be 4 hours long and we got dropped off after 3 hours. I agree with the former posts that it is incredibly difficult to communicate with the staff, and that they really try to take your money in any way possible.

This place is like a jellyfish that stings you, leaving you paralyzed while it eats (the money out of your wallet).

Stayed July 2014

Been to Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort? Share your experiences!