“AMAZING!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort

You added Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49 Moo 8 | T. Aonang, A. Muang Krabi, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand (Formerly Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort And Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Best Deal: Save 10% Now
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
West Palm Beach, Florida
“AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The whole island is amazing, it was a dream! Upon arrival you are greeted with a tasty welcome drink. The whole property is very clean, the staff was very pleasant. Not everyone spoke English, which was fine in my opinion. I was in a different country and enough people did so it was never an issue. Coming from the states you get way more then you pay for here. We stayed for two nights ate breakfast and lunch there and our total bill was $360. Your hotel room really is a private bungalow which is adorned with fresh flowers from the trees outside. We loved it here I would love to come back and I suggest this hotel to everyone. ENJOY!!!!

FYI :
-Once you get off the ferry into Phi Phi you must pay a 20 baht fee per person to get on land. They said it was taxes in order to keep the water clean.
-if you take the hotels long tail from pier to hotel it's not complimentary, they charge you 200 baht at checkin. You can take a random long tail it maybe be cheaper but remember to always use your converter (200 baht = $6 U.S.)
-get baht at airport there is no ATM at hotel.
- there is a little village directly behind the hotel. If you like you can eat, do excursions or get massages there. We ate dinner there both nights and got a massage, the locals are very thankful for our business.

Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I am Thai by birth. I spent the first half of my life in Thailand and the other half in other countries, mostly in the US. I travel abroad way more often than most Americans do. I can declare confidently that money goes a long long way when you earn dollars and spend it in Thai baht EXCEPT for hotels. Excellent hotels in Thailand are extremely expensive comparing to everything else you can get over there. I am begrudgingly willing to pay for it but my expectation will be set incredibly high in that situation.

I have to admit that when I booked the Outrigger Phi Phi in February for the trip in June, I was frustrated by the price (even in the low season). I kept thinking this'd better be good. Phi Phi is not easy to get to when you travel with a family and you no longer find backpacking or hanging out among backpackers a fun way to travel anymore. So I wanted the best Phi Phi can offer to make the trip there worthwhile.

Outrigger Phi Phi was outstanding. The hotel location was beautiful. The architectural design was luxurious and compatible with the natural surroundings. But a hotel this price range needs more than that to satisfy its customers. For me, it delivers that ultimate satisfaction in the service. We stayed, literally, in the jungle in a hillside villa with a private pool at 300 ft. elevation. We depended on all services of the hotel to be able stay comfortably up there - from fresh and dry towels to transportation to get down to eat. Outrigger never once disappointed us in the whole week we stayed up there.

Khun Tee (Ms. Tee), our guest service person, was like a Phi Phi fairy angel. She seemed to be able to appear out of nowhere to anticipate our needs, only to disappear when we were enjoying our time and happy. She did this everyday to the point that something felt missing when we did not see her. Whenever we called for a golf cart transport to get down to everything, we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes (and we went up and down the hill many trip a day to test its reliability). The hotel staff were professional, very hospitable, courteous, and very responsive to our every need everywhere we go, whether it is the pool, rec center, housekeeping, restaurant, bar, or lobby.

We stayed at villa 510 and the view was exquisite. The privacy of our villa was also great.

If you are bothered by natural critters associated with the tropical climate, you might want to stay in Phuket in multi-story concrete buildings that hotels over there can offer. Outrigger Phi Phi is situated in a tropical jungle. No matter how much the hotel staff want to help rid the sights and contacts with critters for you, it is impossible. You cannot enjoy the nature on Phi Phi island if you can't bear seeing a lizard or a few geckos in your room. We saw way more than geckos. I assume that some other accommodation choices Outrigger offers on the beach probably have fewer critters since they are not built into the jungle.

Be sure to check out the local village behind the hotel. It is very charming. I don't think Zeavoli has a village like this in the back and I am glad I picked Outrigger for its location. We ate dinner in the village a lot. It provided a very pleasant local feel without having to go to the messy, chaotic, and touristy Ton Sai Bay. Pad Thai restaurant was our favorite in the village.

If you have a choice, arrange for a transport on the hotel speed boat from Phuket. It will save you up to 3 hours of travel time and a lot less hassle. We were spoiled by the convenience of it that on the way back when our flight was not in line with the hotel speed boat schedule, we opted to charter our own speed boat back to Phuket so that we could stay at the Outrigger for 3 extra hours. If you charter your own speed boat, I advise that you get a two-engine one in a big size that accommodate 10+ people. It is a long way to get there on the water, you would not want to be caught in a predicament of one broken engine. Plus, the sea can be rough (that was what we had), so unless you long to be on a ride like Splash Mountain at Disneyland for an hour, spend more money on a bigger boat.

If I get to go back to Phi Phi again, I would choose the Outrigger in a heart beat.

Thank you, Khun Tee and all the staff. We had the best memory there because of you.

Room Tip: Villa 510 has excellent privacy from neighbors. I think the views are exquisite in other villas as w...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 1 night 14th July, 2 adults 3 children in 2 Bungalows, $310 au breakfast included. Even with poor weather this resort exceeded our expectations!! Amazing location and tropical island feel and has been the highlight if our 3 week holiday. We booked a phi phi island tour 5000 baht with overnight stay which included lunch, snorkelling etc then dropped us off at the resort by longtail no charge and made our way back to the pier the next afternoon to continue sightseeing and ferry back including hotel transfers, about the same price of ferry alone for 5. We ate at coconut bar and grill and after eating Thai for 2 weeks this was a welcomed change and braised beef was amazing. A bit pricy but worth it! I would highly recommend staying here 4-5 nights and do some tours to the nearby islands and don't sweat the small stuff ie maintenance issues which we're being fixed and enjoy paradise!!!!

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I'm really not sure what's up with the amazing reviews for the Outrigger Phi Phi. While the location is pretty, overall this place is not worth it, at all.

We arrive in Ko Phi Phi and see a sign for the Outrigger. We go to it, and are told this is our boat driver to the resort. We are then told, when we arrive, that the Outrigger is charging us 200/baht each way for this service, and it's the only option. A bit weird that a so-called "4.5 star resort" does this, but not a huge deal.

We check into our room, and a lizard is inside, snaking past us. Meh, it's Thailand, not the biggest deal.

We are convinced to sign up for a rather extraordinarily priced breakfast. We go, and it's so lacking. The service is awful and speak no English; the food is lacking; etc. As a vegetarian there was pretty much nothing to eat.

We go to the pool and eat at the pool bar nearby. We find a huge cooked bug inside the food, and even after showing staff and leaving, it's still on our bill. We spoke to a manager and were told it probably flew in later (it didn't, and she did resolve this). We also told the manager that there was very little to eat as a vegetarians at breakfast, and we were convinced to buy it again, as we were told the chef would make special vegetarian dishes, all we had to do was ask. We got to breakfast the next day and staff had no idea what we were talking about. Waste of money for that, again.

We also got food poisoning during this trip.

Also, don't expect wifi. It doesn't work in the rooms and barely works anywhere else.

Staff is rude, often condescending; and mostly speak no English.

Check out:

Had to catch an early morning ferry, so as recommended, paid for charges incurred the night before. We get to the check out and we are told to sit down "so we can check your mini bar." We told them we didn't use it, and were told "we must check." This took 25 minutes and made our check out very stressed and rushed.

Staying here is expensive and a mistake. Many better options.

• Stayed July 2014
chao-t, General Manager at Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.

It is rather disappointing to learn that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Our aim is to exceed our guests’ expectations, I sincerely apologize we fell short in certain areas of your stay including your dining experiences as well as the unfortunate departure delay which was totally unnecessary. All feedback - both positive and negative or constructive ones - are extremely important to us as they assist my team with an opportunity to improve our product and services. I have shared your feedback with my team so that we can further address the issues and improve.

I would welcome the opportunity to have you visit the property again and give us the chance to better serve you next time.

Thank you again for your value comment.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We paid AUD $115 for a superior bungalow (the cheapest category) without breakfast.

I have really mixed feelings about this hotel and am finding it hard to review !
Mainly because I have to keep remembering it's isolated position on a small island so it is unfair to compare it to the other 6 hotels we stayed at in Thailand.
Pros
The position - Phi Phi is truly stunning :)
Clean, clear water
The grounds are expansive and fairly well kept
Happy hour at Coconuts was really lovely
Our bungalow was fairly basic and a bit tired but had a great island feel to it.
Nice to be able to sit out on our verandah
Restaurant food was very good but quite expensive
We did venture out and eat at the village reataurants but they all have very standard fare and are not a whole lot cheaper (understandably due to location)
Excellent transfer service by longtail to the pier - they helped us buy onward tickets and carried our luggage onto the boat - much appreciated
Friendly staff

Cons
On arrival we were asked if we wanted to buy breakfast and also if we wanted to upgrade to a seaview bunglaow for a ridiculous amount of money. No ..... if we had wanted breakfast included or a different room we would have booked them - the hard sell was a bit uncomfortable and not a great way to start our holiday :(
Our bungalow was fine but had the most disgusting mouldy and putrid shower curtain which was caked in what looked like dried blood - horrible !
Parts of the gardens were quite untidy and parts of the beach were suffering from ugly erosion.
Tiles were missing from the pool and the decking outside the gift shop was rotting and fairly dangerous to walk on.

The whole feel of the Outrigger was wonderful and magical with an almost Polynesian tropical atmosphere and I have no doubt it is one of the best choices on Phi Phi in it's category.
Just a little more TLC and it would be perfect :)
My husband's favourite hotel of the trip !
We will be back for sure !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst on a holidaying Thailand. Originally only booked 2 nights but loved it that much we booked a 3rd. Beautiful location, very friendly staff and nothing was too much trouble. They hotel should make clear that they do have a shuttle from the main island to the hotel as we paid double on the way there and used there shuttle when leaving the hotel. When I asked about other eating places, I was told about the little village therefore they are not keeping it hidden. The village is small and there are not as many places to eat as people have stated in other reviews. There are about 6 restaurants, a massage parlour, a shop and a few bars. Very cheap prices compared with the hotel but we did have a lovely meal at the hotel. We would most definitely return. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
chao-t, General Manager at Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Lyn 1298

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your thoughtful with Tripadvisor readers online, we will pass your possitive review to our staff for them to do more on more. We hope to see you again very soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The whole place is fantastic, of course they don't mention the little village that is literally a few steps behind the resort (head to the recreation Centre and then walk back away from the beach and you can't miss it) because they want you to spend your money with them instead but it's definitley cheaper and eating/ drinking there and the vibe is awesome.
The only negative thing I have to say about the resort is that you have to pay 400 thb to get a return tailboat from the pier, this is the only way to actually get there so I don't understand why this wouldn't be complimentary when you have booked to stay there? On the other hand I did know about this before going so I can't complain really.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort? Share your experiences!