“Paradise? It's a matter of interpretation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort

You added Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49 Moo 8 | T. Aonang, A. Muang Krabi, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand (Formerly Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort And Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Best Deal: Save 10% Now
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Nontron, France
“Paradise? It's a matter of interpretation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I was met at the airport and taken at once to the resort boat for the hour's journey to the resort. I was booked in a garden room, and a buggy was available to take me to the restaurant. It is a very big site, and I am disabled.
The sea here is missing all morning, and shallow when it does arrive. It is not suitable for snorkelling having no reef close in. Up the coast at the Holiday Inn the sea is always in, and there is a reef for snorkelling.
The staff in the dining room are over attentive. How many times when my mouth is full do I need to be asked how good the food is? It was nothing special, and lacked decent salads. One waitress asked me did I need my food cutting up which really annoyed me, though I said nothing. I just wished they had been less in my face. I hated the luke warm thermos of hot water on the table to make tea at breakfast.
I didn't like the room service boy asking me why I was on holiday alone, and why I didn't have a husband, or the buggy driver asking me how old I was, and what was wrong with my legs. Bit of training needed here all around I think.
The room was a bit sad. I got flashes when I plugged in the hair drier or kettle. The bit of plywood by the desk where the socket was mounted was loose from the wall. It was all a bit in need of refreshment. I was in room 305.
Pool area enormous & very attractive, with massages taking place openly on the floor alongside. The toasted ham and cheese sandwich I ordered was cold and had been brought from the kitchen some distance away. Also the bread was not toasted, nor the cheese melted. I rejected it.
Two lovely house cleaners who always worked hard, made a display of towel swans on the bed when I was leaving, which was a nice touch.
I had been led to believe it was better than the Holiday Inn next door where I am now. I was misled.

Room Tip: Go next door to the Holiday Inn where the rooms are modern and the sockets stay in the wall.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights beginning of March and it was stunning.
We got picked up by the Outrigger boat from Phuket which takes about an hour to arrive at The Outrigger. The tide was out so we got off the boat and onto a tractor which pulled us and the luggage in!
The hotel and the grounds are beautiful. Pool was lovely and the sea bright blue and crystal clear.
We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was delicious with a large variety of foods.
At night we ate in the village at the back of the hotel, would recommend Pad Thai and Knock out Bar. We did a snorkelling trip with the guy who owns Knock out bar, this is a must. We had a great day out and my husband saw a few (harmless) sharks!
The hotel is really quiet and half an hour by long tail boat from Tonsai so wouldn't recommend this place if you want to be near the nightlife.
We loved it but 3 days was enough for us.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here from the 2 March until Saturday 8 and had a fab time. We had booked garden room but on arrival we had been upgraded to the new deluxe rooms which are further back but set in their own little garden. Very peaceful and not alot of people traipsing backwards and forwards past your room like the garden rooms and beach front. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and choice to eat in the village (behind the recreation/diving centre near coconut resturant) All the resturants in the village do lovely food and at half the price of the hotel well worth a visit. We chose to eat In the knockout bar (at the end of the row) and also went on a days excursion with Mr Chet the owner (A MUST) he is a very good guide and extremely friendly, again a lot cheaper than the hotel. Mr Chet also takes photos of your day at no extra charge, and at the end of the day he will down load the pictures that he has taken on to your camera card or a memory stick. Another great little resturant is the Oasis resturant/bar lovely food and again friendly people nothing is too much trouble. We tried a couple of Thai massages in the village (god did they hurt but we felt much better after, not so tensed up) much cheaper than the hotel too! We found a lot of the staff in the resturant that you have breakfast in to be a bit miserable and their english not so good as the villagers at the back of the hotel, we were able to converse with them much easier, they were also a lot friendlier and smiled more. Most days we were able to find a sun lounger with out any problem but did notice that some beds had towels on but we didnt see their owners until very late in the day! The pool is lovely but only used the swim up bar once and that was the first day we were there, Plenty of shade around the pool and on the edge of the beach so if you need shade you should be able to find some. When the tide goes out you do need to walk some distance before you can swim and you have to pick your way carefully as it can be a bit rocky/stoney. When the tide is in the view is beautiful see pictures. If i can be of any further help please message me.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms very spacious but a bit further to walk to breakfast, beach etc.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed in March 2014. We had a very relaxing stay for 2 nights. The swimming pool was really nice. The sea was lovely and clear and the views were spectacular.

The room was spacious and very private, although the bathroom was en suite it was rather basic and not to a five star standard.

We booked a room without breakfast and we were planning on going to the local village as it was quite expensive. We were told on check in that this was not possible and we were presented with a bill to sign for the next two mornings. Having said that the breakfast selection was very good but having gone into the village it was evident we could have had breakfast there. Meals in the resort were relatively very expensive and a 10% service charge was taken for our meal even though we ate at the bar. The evening meal we had in the resort was average at best, the food we had in the village was excellent in comparison.

Expect to pay 200 baht per person to get there and 200 baht on your return via a long tail boat from the ferry terminal. This was efficiently done and already arranged on arrival.

On reflection it was a very nice stay but the hidden costs left a bad taste.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

What I love about Thailand is that anything-goes, it's easy to get around and explore and be adventurous. We were looking forward to saying somewhere high end for the last nights of our holiday to relax. The pool is stunning, beach is as warm as a hot spa, just gorgeous. Rooms and resort grounds are clean and pristine.
The not so good stuff...Most Thai hospitality workers experience a language barrier and have fun with it, make a joke of it. However at the Outrigger staff just came off as plain rude and didn't even try. The food options at the restaurants were mainly western, and the food we did order was very average. There are no decent Thai food options during the day at all (that we knew of).
We expected to pay resort prices however the day trips & spa were outrageously priced.
When we asked about long tails taxi boats to visit other parts of the island we were told they only leave twice a day and there are signs everywhere saying catch a long tail boat 'at your own risk'. The outrigger have a monopoly over their guests and I felt as if they aim to keep you within the boundaries of their domain. The resort's approach really takes the personality out of what's meant to be a Thai experience.
We were absolutely outraged when late on our third day we found a gorgeous little authentic Thai village at the back of the resort, literally steps away that no one told us about. There's about a dozen authentic Thai restaurants for a quarter of the price with QUALITY food. There's bars, massage, day trips for less than half the price, Thai pancakes and friendly fun locals willing to have a chat and a laugh.
One night we asked where we could get a drink after 10.30pm and staff told us the only option was the resort bar when in actual fact there are gorgeous little cheap Thai bars bustling until 2am only metres away. I felt infuriated and ripped off that no one told us about this Village despite questions we asked staff about the resort! We weren't upset about the money at all, they are ripping guests off from a Thai experience!
Overall, If I hadn't felt so cheated and had I known about this little village from day one it would have been a great experience. So if resort accommodation is your thing this place is nice, don't expect great food or service but a beautiful beach & pool and do yourself a favour and make the most of the Thai village at the back.

Room Tip: Visit the Thai village at the back of the hotel for an enriched experience
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the outrigger for two nights whilst travelled around thailand. We absolutely loved it here. From the moment we arrived at Tonsai pier to when we were dropped back off at Tonsai pier we were treated like royalty.

We stayed in a bungalow a few rows behind the beach, which was fantastic. The pool was clean and welcoming. We loved the food however we chose to dine in the small village behind the resort as it is cheaper here. Staff were friendly, helpful and bright and made us feel very welcome and looked after for our entire stay.

The hotel couldn't be situated in a more idyllic spot, the water is crystal clear and beautiful. We felt like we had stepped into a postcard.

We hiked through the jungle to Tonsai bay which takes about an hour- which we would recommended if your craving a little exercise!

All in all I highly recommend the Outrigger resort to anyone who craves a little relaxation, pampering and indulgence. An absolutely fantastic and faultless resort which we can not wait to get back to!!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Beautiful location, breakfast buffet lovely but beverages not great quality or hot. Restaurant waitress Poo was always there with a smiley face but everyone else not so friendly.

Lots of sunloungers on the beach and around the pool always clean and tidy. Even though its tidal when its out there is a lovely coral reef to the far right near Villa 360 for snorkelling if you dont mind a wee walk.

Recreation - some excursions were difficult to get on as most required a minimum amount of people so didnt manage a few trips we hoped to do. There is excursions available from outside the resort to try. Recommend the Sunset Explorer speedboat trip such a fun day the crew were fabulous.

The resort is very quiet would suit couples just looking to chill or honeymooners. We stayed for 14 nights which I dont think is the norm suited more for Island hopping.

Restaurants - ate at Pool Bar, Marlin, Coconut Grill & room service. No issues with the food but the service from the waiting staff not very welcoming however special mention for our favourite waiter Keng he was always smiling, apologising if any delay and very attentive. If you can get all your staff to emulate this it would be a much better experience. Had a great time at the Full Moon Party especially loved they had a guy making cocktails with all the tricks.

My only real gripe was the housekeeping during the stay it wasnt 5* floors were rarely mopped and as you take your shoes off to walk about the accomodation it was pretty grimey underfoot you had to wear the little slippers provided. Which is such a shame as the accomodation is off a high spec.

Small village behind the resort offering much cheaper food and drink, highly recommend the Cheap Mart for snacks incidentals and laundry.

Take the longtail to Tonsai approx 30 mins or about an hour hike through the jungle.

Weather was lovely for the 14 nights approx 32-34 degrees 1 day of rain :)

Room Tip: Upgrade in the resort to a hillside pool villa absolutely stunning. and not too expensive to upgrade...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort? Share your experiences!