“It was awful to say the least” 1 of 5 stars

You added Phi Phi Uphill Cottage to your Saves list
Phi Phi Uphill Cottage
140 Moo 7, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
“It was awful to say the least”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was by far the worst hostel we stayed at. There was blood on my bed and it was hotter in our room then it was outside. And when they say uphill they mean it, you walk up a large flight of stairs to get to your room. It was just a terrible experience overall.

• Stayed January 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We arrived just a couple of days after new years, every where was so booked out and what was leftwas expensive so we felt lucky to get this room, it was abit more than we inttened to spend but was utterly worth it, the bed was massive you could fit in three people in (if thats the way you roll wink wink) had a really nice view and was clean. Defo worth a stay

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We paid 700baht for a basic room, which wasn't that bad as phi phi is more expensive than the other islands. Location is just behind the town but just a few minutes walking and a few more to the beach. Good for being quiet but nit too friendly. But did the job for us!

• Stayed November 2012
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My friend and I booked a room at Uphill Cottage because we were worried that we wouldn't have a place to stay because we went during the Christmas break. So we booked this Guesthouse because it was affordable (900 baht a night) and accepted reservations via phone.

Location:
It is located 6 minutes away from the major beach (not Long Beach) but it is not in the crowded part of town. My friend and I found that the location was suitable because we could sleep without being disrupted by drunk people on the beach. However, it was out of the way and hard to find in the beginning (it is quite the walk away from the pier).
This guest house is located on a hill which is not handicap friendly. I was in room 18 and that was one of the first rooms at the base. The stairs are uneven and it is quite the climb.

Value:
As I was walking down the streets, I was noticing that there were competitive prices. I managed to haggle my room down to 800 baht (which is still too pricey for the place). I saw some signs saying they had rooms for 400 baht per night for one person (I'm assuming).

Sleep Quality:
This guesthouse had the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. I think sleeping on the beach would have been better. The bed was like a rock.

Cleanliness:
This was not the cleanest room I have been in but it wasn't disgusting.

There is WIFI but you can only get it near the reception. They don't have a lobby so if you were looking to meet people, this isn't the place for you. The rooms we had had no A/C but a fan (but A/C wasn't necessary).

I would suggest shopping around the island if it isn't high season. You can ask to see a room before you take it. They let you pay before or after staying there. They nearly lost our reservation even though we called them multiple times.

Room Tip: I would make a reservation but shop around Koh Phi Phi before making your final decision. I'm su...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Northants
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We chose this place as it was a little further out from the loud Tonsai village 'party' area. It is exactly as it says, it's uphill and it nearly killed us everytime we climbed back to the room.

Whilst unpacking our bags we discovered the 'roof monsters'! Scraping and banging on the metal roof and a couple of dogs frantically barking just behind our room. It wasn't until later in the holiday that we found out it was monkeys making all the noise and seemingly deliberately taunting the tied up dogs so that we got frantic barking pretty much all day, every day!!! We also regularly heard gunshots which we could only presume were the locals attempting to scare off the monkeys but needless to say, it was a little disconcerting!!

Also a bit disconcerting was the obvious signs of previous break ins. We had an obviously replaced pane of glass in the door and bars on the windows - not exactly comforting as the room never really felt particularly secure!

The room itself appeared reasonably clean and staff came in every day to do housekeeping. Contrary to other reviews on this site, we saw no evidence of bugs in the room and certainly not in the bed. To be fair the mattress was probably too hard for them, it was for us!!! We woke most mornings after a restless night feeling like we had been in a Thai boxing match the night before!! There were the occasional lizard or mosquito but that is to be expected and certainly didn't spoil our time here. The air-con wasn't ideally situated, we couldn't really feel it once in bed which was when we really needed it, there was no fridge for keeping drinks cool so we had to get used to drinking warm water and there were no chairs in the room so our only option was to sit on the bed. No issues with the bathroom, it was clean, had hot water and was perfectly functional.

The staff here were nice and friendly. We were met at the port and our bags carried for us, we took advantage of the washing service and had no complaints, (apart from my pants being hung in view of everyone whilst drying!!), and they were more than willing to waive the late check out fee when we were due to leave.

Overall I would say the room was adequate though a little expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: If you have good thigh muscles any room would suffice. If you're not into climbing, try somewher...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I chose this hotel for it's location. It's close to the beach & viewpoint but a little outside the noisy nightlife, but just a little because a lot of young people stay there and they talk loud. The downside is that it's uphill ! So you have to walk a few stairs to reach your bungalow. Those were really simple and had a few bugs despite the AC. The bathroom wasn't nice either. I don't think they cleaned the room during my 2 night stay. It was not that expensive so I guess it's ok if you stay only a few days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

we stayed here on our first night in phi phi..we booked it once we got to phi phi pier...and I would definitely say the rooms definitely don't look as good in real life as they do in the photos! our room was at the very very top of the hill and we had to climb about 200 steps to get up to it...so definitely would not recommend it for young children or elderly as it was quite a struggle walking up in the heat! and I wouldnt fancy it after a night out! although it was very cheap (500 baht a night for two) the room was very dingy and the bed covers were damp. we went for fan room which was awful, definitely should have paid the extra baht for air con and I woke up absolutely covered in mosquito bites as the rooms are right up in the trees. however that said the view from our small balcony was beautiful!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Phi Phi Uphill Cottage? Share your experiences!