“The best hostel I have ever stayed in!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rock Backpacker

The Rock Backpacker
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phi Phi Don
The Rock Backpacker
You added The Rock Backpacker to your Saves list
Moo 7, Phi Phi Don Village, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand   |
“The best hostel I have ever stayed in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The rock is THE ROCK! I have been travelling 16months and the rock is without a doubt or second thought the best hostel I have stayed in! I first went to the rock at the start of my trip in Oct 2011. The plan was to stay 3 nights I stayed 6. After that first experince no other hostel has lived up to it! Ok the rooms not brilliant, but u have what u need a bed! And the bathrooms are spotless with sometimes hot water (a luxuary in asia). After a year away I booked to go back to phi phi and could never bring myself to stay anywhere but the rock. And again it was the most amazing time I have ever had. I planned for 6 nights there and stayed 11. The rock just gets u! You can't stay there if you want to sleep or be anti social, you go there to have a good time, let loose and meet people. Both trips there I have turned up alone and left with at least 5 others to traval further with. As other reviews say though I would recomend trying to get a top bunk and those people who complain about having things stolen, there are lockers there for a reason so use them and ull be fine! And as for bed bugs, every traveller has to experience them at least once so why not on phi phi! (you can wash ur stuff and there gone not worth crying over) and lastly both times iv stayed there iv found the people that work there are lovely....

• Stayed October 2012

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Innsbruck, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've travelled a lot and slept in many hostels. The Rock was defenitley my WORST hostel-experience. The staff was unfriendly, rude and very impolite. The dorms are very disgusting, smelly and it is almost impossible to sleep on the very hard matresses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I ended up going back here twice during my stay in Thailand. The Rock is undoubtably a party hostel with hard beds and noisy dorm but it is also a friendly place with clean and plentiful bathrooms. Very sociable and a great place to visit alone or in a group. There are safe boxes on each bed and they provide clean towels etc whenever you ask. I would stay again and it doesn't matter if its noisy as I would presume you will be out until the early hours anyway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Worst place we stayed during our 6 weeks in Thailand. Very scary owners, so many steps to walk up, unclean washing facilities (full of cockroaches). Our room smelt and the bed was extremely hard. We moved after one night to the Harmony Hotel down the road.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Large plain rooms with uncomfortable beds and people constantly coming in and out but thats ok because youll probably be drunk most nights. expensive for a hostel but average for phi phi. location is good. stayed 2 nights. recommend having your own lock and using the safe boxes. good for solo travelling as you meet a lot of people there. showers are good!

Room Tip: dorm rooms are noisy
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed in a private room with a double and single bed with 2 of my friends. It was very clean and the beds were comfy. In no time we were out in the social area outside dorm A pre-drinking and meeting people who would turn out to be the same people we travelled with for the remainder of our time in thailand (4weeks). We had the best of both worlds staying in a private room and being able to get sleep if we wanted, and being right outside the dorms where we could socialise and hang out. I ended up sleeping in the dorms 3 out of the 6 nights I stayed here which is defnintely an experience!
Our private room, 3 persons, was 700 baht per night. Therefore working out 35 THB more than if we had payed separately for a dorm bed. Worth it for sure.
Great little restaurant/bar on the premises with friendly staff. Can't say the same about the staff who work on reception, however if I saw half the stuff they've seen over the years that goes on at the rock, I would be a grumpy, backpacker-hating person also!
We loved it so much we also got the name of the hostel tattooed onto our arms in thai when we were on ko tao! Stupidity maybe, however without the rock my entire trip would never have been the same.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I cannot state clearly enough for you not to stay here. I stayed here for 4 nights, the first 2 nights were great as I had a lot of fun. You do have to be drunk to sleep here though as the beds are rock solid & there are only 2 fans for a 17 bed dorm so it is a very uncomfortable night's sleep. Also I now have bed bugs which are accompanying me for the rest of my journey thanks to this hostel, expect to be eating alive & to share your bed with many creepy crawlies. But that said the people that you meet here are the best which the same cannot be said for the hostel owners. They are without a doubt the worst owners that I have ever met & I have been travelling for over a year so I have stayed in hundreds of hostels. On my 3rd night here a number of people's stuff got stolen (including mine) thanks to there being no security at this hostel. Anybody can walk into the hostel as there is no-one stopping them from coming in, the doors don't lock & are usually left wide open anyway as it is just too hot in the room with them closed. The only lockers that are provided are ones that are big enough to fit your passport, phone & wallet so when it comes to laptops & other bigger items then you just have to take your chances. Even if you padlock your bag up then they will just take your whole bag. Having your stuff stolen is bad enough but it was the hostel owners reaction to it that made us incredibly annoyed & also a little suspicious. When we asked them if they would call the police they said that they didn't have the number & when I went around to other people's rooms to explain what had happened & telling them to check their belongings the hostel staff were standing there laughing at me, even when I asked them what was so funny about my stuff being stolen they just continued to stand there & laugh in my face. What was worse was when the police came later on in the day after we had been to the station who didn't care at all about what had happened. He just sat with the hostel owner, had a chat & a laugh with him & then when I asked him if he wanted to know any information about my belongings he told me that I should have paid extra money to stay in a bungalow & that it was basically my own fault. The hostel staff continued to be rude & incredibly unhelpful, I know a few people got threatened by one Thai guy who is actually really scary. On my final day there I was so glad to leave but the owner tried to tell me that I hadn't paid for my 4 nights stay & that I had to pay 800 baht, he had only given me a receipt for 1 nights stay & not the 3 others which was obviously done deliberately to get as much money out of me as possible. I refused to pay again which he then informed me that he was going to call the police on me (he then remembered the number funnily enough) so I had to pay him another 200 baht which made me incredibly angry as I should have not had to pay again especially considering that it was the worst hostel that I have ever stayed at. It's such a shame as it has the potential to be amazing but the owners just ruin it for everybody. I don't want this to happen to anybody else as it tainted my view on Koh Phi Phi when otherwise I would have had the best time ever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Rock Backpacker? Share your experiences!