“Don't even think about it...” 2 of 5 stars

Banthai Guest House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   139/10 Moo 7, Ko Phi Phi Don 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #43 of 52 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't even think about it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Ok, place was cheap, but geez, manager/owner of this place has no consideration for its guests! She was rude and did not let us use the bathroom in the lobby after we checked out... If you stay there, you'll also have to share your bathroom with cockroaches! Also, the mattress was very thin and uncomfortable. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed in an air con room for two nights. Room was clean with TV,clothes horse, towels, chairs and shelves. Shower was powerful and warm too. It's basic but at 900 baht per night it's quite cheap for Phi Phi. The lady in reception was very friendly and helpful. Only cons were that there's no safe, there's a large towel as a blanket and you don't get a remote for the air con so we got cold on the last night. It's perfect for backpackers, maybe not a week long holiday. Close to the pier, restaurants and tonsai bay. I was in a room facing the back and had no problems with noise.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I only stayed here for one night and I am quite glad, the owner is very friendly however its overpriced for what it is. There is an aircon machine in the room however I assume it doesnt work because there was no remote, so I had to make do with a fan which wasn't ideal as the room was small and stuffy.

The owner also runs a computer service which you still have to pay for even if you are staying there, and the wifi is very intermittent.

Also don't make the mistake I did by leaving too early (8:15am) because the owner is not there to give you you're 1000 Baht key deposit back so I lost 20 quid there, on the plus side thankfully I was leaving Thailand at that point..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The guesthouse was a decent place to stay. The price we paid was high compared to others for what you get. The blanket is a big towel. The mattress was really thin, anybody will sink down to the wood frame. It seemed like everyone flocked here after getting off the ferry. Usually we book a place to stay prior, and now I feel we should've here to. We actually enjoyed Miss Lee's humour. She is a tough lady, after dealing with many tourists over the years I'm not surprised. She was very friendly to us. Despite it all, I would've rather booked elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

On the last years I have been constantly travelling and using accommodations from 1 to 5 stars. The experience at this guesthouse was by far the worst. I read some comments in favor of this property saying that you get what you pay for. Well for me at the end was not cheap and although inexpensive accommodations are sought I believe that no price is low enough to attack the dignity of clients. In summary the administration, mentioned Ms. Lee oversold their rooms and she offered a room "with air " for double the original price, arguing that she had no responsibility because the site where we booked had not charged anything to the credit card and that we better took it or leave it in that moment, knowing it was high season and there were no options on the island she even shouted us up (me and my girlfriend) from the chair where we were sitting talking about the situation. Site conditions have already been widely discussed and maintain no relationship with the price. We spent only one night and left the next day, for the same price of that room "with air" we got a room on a newly builded beachfront accommodation, in perfect conditions and with friendly staff. I am requesting the site where I booked through their custom service to considerate not announce this guesthouse anymore and I invite others with bad experiences to do the same. Looking at this and other travel sites my experience is an everyday thing in this facility and with this lady.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked two nights at the Baan Thai guesthouse even after reading the bad reviews. Especially the ones about Miss Lee, the lady running the place were worrying. Upon arriving we automatically obeyed the large and quite obvious signs about taking off footwear before entering and got a very friendly welcome. In all honesty, I'm not the most carefree of people when it comes to where I stay my nights and even I had a good time at the Baan Thai. The rules were simple enough to follow... things like no shoes indoors, don't disturb others with excessive noise and don't take the towels to the beach. Oh, and don't lose your key or you lose the 1000Bht deposit. We didn't lose the key so all good there. Sure the place isn't up to 5 star hotel chain standards but if you aren't paying 5 star prices, you can't compare it to 5 star luxury. The rooms aren't new, the showers are old and the shower unit itself may look like a 5 year old made it out of garden hose but everything works and even got hot water in the shower. You don't get a big fat duvet to sleep under so be prepared to sleep under a large towel you are handed for this sole purpose. During the last night the Air conditioning unit in the room stopped working... stuff fail sometimes. And as for Miss Lee... one of the nicer and friendlier people we met on our trip. Every time we passed her she asked if everything was ok and if we needed something. Sure, I can imagine her as quite a dragon if you cross her rules... so don't and your stay will probably be better off. In short: I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Have manners.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Patong, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived at Baan thai a little worried after reading reviews but a group of our friends had already checked in there and they were the only place that seemed to still have rooms on Christmas Day. She seemed to take an instant dislike to us for no reason at all. She took the money and the 1000b key deposit and told us we would have to come back later as the room wasn't ready yet. That was fine with us. We came back at approx 5:30 to be told that she had made a mistake, the price had gone up whilst we were at the beach and if we wanted the key for our room we would have to pay more money now. Otherwise, find somewhere else to stay.
We chose to just get a refund and start searching for somewhere else. We eventually did find somewhere else. Luckily we didn't have to stay at Baan thai and deal with Miss Lee again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Banthai Guest House? Share your experiences!