“Just amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buakao Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phangan
Buakao Inn
146 Thongsala | Suratthani, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #23 of 104 Ko Phangan B&B and Inns
Hampshire, England
“Just amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Found The Glass Cottage by chance, and what a find! It's absolutely beautiful, the views are stunning and the owner, Mike very friendly and helpful. Every little thing has been carefully considered, the cleaning ladies even left homemade cookies everyday! There is a little bar right next door run by Piu and is lovely in the evening, all lit up with little lanterns. Yes, it is a little remote, but that suited us. The beach was almost deserted and very peaceful. It isn't a private beach, but it really feels that way. There are bars/restaurants within walking distance, but a scooter would be useful. We didn't have one and managed fine for our 4 day stay. It really feels like home and we are planning to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just 5 minutes walk from the main pier, we walked into Buakao Inn without reservation as it was during the green season/ low season last year. We get to know about this place through Lonely Planet and read some good reviews about it, after inspecting the room, we agreed to stay on.

Mike, the owner was accommodating and made every effort to make sure that we have a comfortable stay. Wifi was working great from the room. The street leading to the inn is properly lit and felt safe. I would stay here again for my next visit. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Buakao Inn is a great little spot in the heart of Thongsala not far from where the ferry lets you off. It's billed as comfort on the cheap--and trust me, it delivers. The bed in Room 5 was extremely comfortable, there's an excellent diner/cafe with tasty and relatively inexpensive breakfast just downstairs, and the staff are all extremely pleasant, particularly Mike! This is not a full service hotel by any means, but if you're like me (an independent, no-nonsense kind of traveller), Buakao Inn has just about everything you need.

A word about the location: it's right in the heart of the island's main settlement, a fact that may or may not be good for you. I really enjoyed having access to all the conveniences (7-11, Phantip night market, numerous pharmacies, taxi stands, you name it)--and all the beaches and parties were just a songthaew ride away. Thanks for the excellent stay! One caveat: nearby Muay Thai boxing on Monday nights may keep you up but don't fret; they tend to shut down just after midnight.

Room Tip: Read the descriptions of the rooms online; there are just a few and each appeared to be slightly dif...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We turned up here at 6pm for a coffee after being so disappointed with another resort we had to leave. Luckily they had 1 room left for the nights we wanted. It was so nice to realise the great coffee shop had a connected guesthouse upstairs and the staff were really helpful in getting us set-up.

The location is excellent if you don't care about being on the beach. In the heart of Thong Sala on the main street and minutes to everything in Thongsala. There is a night market across the road and loads of nice shops/bars in the road.

The rooms were the best we had experienced in Thailand. Clean, Fan and AC, Satellite TV with sports channels, a fridge and an amazing bed. We slept soundly for the3 nights there. It is quiet in the evening but everything you need is just outside. I would recommend this to anyone staying in Thongsala - won't get better value for money. Owner and staff very helpful. There is a night door for after the coffee shop closes at 10pm, very easy access and a night bell for any problems 24 hrs a day.

The only negative is that it's not really near a beach but all beaches can be accessed easily. The closest is probably about 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: If you have problem with accessing wi-fi when you arrive, ask the staff to reset the router and you...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed in the Glass bungalow while we were visiting the island for the Full Moon Party. We would recommend that anyone wanting to stay in luxury stays at A's Beach Place.

The Glass bungalow is amazing. The bed is huge and so comfy and there are two couches and a writing desk too. The view is simply breathtaking and the sunset we viewed was absolutely beautiful. The shower room was also really clean and has a huge big shower which was lovely! There is a huge TV and we had a lovely night where we had a meal in the town and then rented a DVD to watch on the massive TV! There is nothing missing from the room - it has absolutely everything you could need, with a fridge and hairdryer etc. There is also free wifi which is great for using on your laptop/mobile phone to keep in touch with people back home.

We ate in the restaurant several times and the Thai food was amazing. The noodle soup was delicious and the price of the food is great too. Also, try the coconut cocktail - it is served in a coconut and is yummy. Mai Tais are very good too!

The location is great, just outside of the town but also close to the beach and in a really nice secluded area. Even though we were two girl friends, we could imagine that it would be a wonderful place to stay for a romantic holiday.

One of the best things about A's Beach Place are the lovely people. They were welcoming, friendly and genuinely nice people. Sophie, the owner, showed us the best places to go, took us into the town in her car, let us use her DVD rental card and took such good care of us both we loved every minute. It was like a home from home because Sophie and her husband Michael were so welcoming and kind.

Sophie and Michael also own a restaurant in the town and we had breakfast there. We chose the English breakfast and it was so good we loved it. I would recommend that anyone who wanted to stay in the town stays with them in the b and b there.

You can use the swimming pool just next to the bungalow too.

When we next visit Koh Phagnan we will definitely be staying here and we would highly recommend that you visit too! :)

Chloe and Lauren - Manchester, England

Room Tip: Eat in the restaurant - it is great!
Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I had a TERRIBLE experience at this inn. I booked a room at Buakao Inn on Sawadee.com a couple weeks in advance and paid the entire room fee 450 BHT per night. Because I was unsure of my travel plans, I inquired whether it was possible to add an extra person or change the dates for my stay. Since I could not reach the owner of the inn directly, I had to inquire through the Sawadee agent.

I had reserved my room for 2 nights, and since my flight was delayed, I arrived a day late. However, I called in advance to tell them to hold my reservation for the next day. When I arrived at the inn the next day, a 10-minute walk from the ThongSala pier, I patiently waited about half an hour for Mike, the owner, to arrive.

When Mike finally arrived, he was less than gracious, telling me that my reservation was the most difficult reservation he had ever encountered. When I inquired as to whether the room was still available, he reluctantly said yes, but I would have to pay a security deposit of 2000 BHT, FOUR TIMES the cost of the room itself (This outrageous security deposit fee was not mentioned by the website or the Sawadee agent.) He also mentioned that I might not get the deposit back. Of course, I politely told him that 2000 BHT was an unreasonable amount for a security deposit and declined the room.

At first I felt guilty about causing Mike trouble with the reservations, but then I realized that it wasn't my fault that he was an ungracious host. Since I had already paid for the room, I should have been able to stay in it. I did not expect to have to lug my suitcases around the island looking for another hotel last-minute during high season. At least Mike had the good conscience to refund my room fee.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
buakao, Owner at Buakao Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thanks for the review. Obviously this guest did not stay with us. The "friend" who did make a booking also did not stay. A customer booked a room during our busiest time of year for one person. The booking inquiry was done with our online agency who clearly requires full prepayment. The customer then asked not to make any payment but to pay on arrival. Once this request was refused, the customer paid for the cheapest room we have which secured this room. Again the customer emailed to request an additional bed in our one person room. The request was denied and a suggestion was made to book a double room which would be more money. The email correspondence went on for quiet some time, customer pleading that they could stay together in a single room as they are used to small rooms. Once this was agreed the customer asked that they get a double room with air-conditioning, as her friend would be too hot in the small room. This was agreed and the additional money for the bigger room was to be paid online in advance of arrival. The customer refused this offer and now asked for the single room. Then before arrival the customer again changed the booking for arrival on a different day and wanted to have some compensation for the day she was not to be in the room. The time consuming effort to correspond to this customer made it evident that this booking was for a very difficult customer. During my 22 years of working in this location offering hotel rooms to guests I can sense when we will have a really troublesome guest. The decision was made to suggest by email to the agency and to the guest that they should seek another place to stay to avoid vandalism or having irate , noisy, troublesome guests. Unfortunately the guest refused our suggestion to stay elsewhere. On arrival I chose to require a deposit of 2,000 baht (70 USD).
This is daily rate for our standard rooms plus 20 USD. The customer said nothing but her friend who had planned to stay with her refused to pay this and nothing else was said. They simply took advantage of our free WIFI and found other accommodation. The booking was obviously only for a back up place to stay if they had no where else to go. We are very happy that this guest did not stay with us and would like very much if any of their friends will please avoid making booking with us.

To sum everything up, this guest did not stay with us nor did they make use of any of our services other than the WIFI. The review has simply slipped through the system of Trip Advisor and is in no way "a review you can trust" as the system says.

mike owner
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I live on Koh Phangan and was pleasantly surprised by a visit from a friend from Australia who, after having visited A's Beach Place, decided to book the Glass Cottage for 3 nights' stay. I have stayed in many fine hotels around the world, and upon walking into the cottage, I was immediately taken with its elegant luxury and stunning beach and jungle views offered by 3 full walls of glass.

Furnished with two settees, a writing desk, and unbelievably snugly king bed with soft cotton sheets, the Glass Cottage offers the perfect romantic setting combined with a home-comfort feel and spectacular westward views of sunsets over the Gulf. The property is a short distance from the hub of Thong Sala yet provides a secluded and peaceful respite for rest and relaxation when needed. All the necessary amenities are at your fingertips, including a plasma TV with satellite, DVD player, and surround sound, WiFi, refrigerator, and a wonderful rain shower with HOT water! The owner, Michael, was kindly accomodating and the hotel and restaurant staff were always available to provide professional and prompt service.

You will have a wonderful stay at the Glass Cottage!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Buakao Inn? Share your experiences!