“Very decent place to stay right by the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tommy Resort

You added Tommy Resort to your Saves list
Tommy Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   90/13 Moo 6, Haad Rin Nok Bantai | Suratthani, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #39 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
los angeles
“Very decent place to stay right by the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I got off the ferry and looked for a place to stay. After looking at three other places we booked the tommy resort. It was the cleanest and nicest out of all of them. We stayed in a room on the second floor. Superb location as we were able to wak right onto the beach! Free breakfast was great with a choice of severa dishes. Complimentary wifi is limited to one hour per guest but stil better than nothing. The view of the beach from the balcony in the morning is so beautiful and relaxing! It overlooks the pool as well. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying for one night in the island as it is in the perfect party location. There are other parts of the island that I would like to check out for next time

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

this hotel is smack on the beach with a really great pool, a reaaly great location yet quite at night so you can sleep. we stayed in one of the bungalows which was very clean and comfy.we did leave about a week before the full moon party and if this is why you are visiting then you really are in the heart of it all,just dont expect to get any sleep at this time unless passing out!

Room Tip: go for one of the villas away from the beach end.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tiburon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My review of the Tommy Resort should really be broken in to several reviews. Part of the problem is that we did not want a "party" atmosphere, even though we were on a "party" beach. We can tolerate a lot, and we figured that a little noise would not be too bad. We intentionally planned our trip here to be in between Full Moon Parties. I sent an email to the Hotel manager, and explicitly asked him whether there would be any loud parties. I mentioned that we could tolerate your typical noise, but that we did not want any raging parties. He assured me that most of the bars further down the beach made some noise, but that was all we would hear in between full moon parties. Great. The place looked good. We were happy. We finally arrived in Phangan, and as we were checking in we noticed a huge stage being erected on the beach, RIGHT OUTSIDE THE RESORT. We asked what the stage was for, and the staff informed us that there was going to be an 18 hour, all-night party the next night. Great. We figured that we would just put earplugs in, and go to the party for awhile to mitigate some of the lost sleep we were facing. The night we checked in was the night before the party was to start. At midnight, the event hosts decided to perform a sound check of their speakers. Why they couldn't do this the next morning was beyond me. We had a bungalow directly on the beach. Probably 100 feet from the stage. Our entire room was rattling from the speakers, and this was just during the sound check. Needless to say, we could not sleep. Earplugs did nothing. The next day we complained. The staff was very friendly, and very apologetic (this is part of the reason I am not leaving 1 star). We decided that there was no possible way we could spend the night in our room during this party. We decided to spend the night on the other side of the island at Thong Nai Pan Noi at the Anantara Rasananda (EXCELLENT, Excellent Hotel). We returned to Tommy Resort the next day and complained that we had specifically asked about the parties, and were assured that there would be none. The staff was again friendly and sympathetic. We were reserved for 2 more nights, and the staff told us that they would be more than happy to let us out of our reservation. We took that opportunity and left Phangan. We ultimately paid for two nights where we were not able to sleep one night, and where we did not even stay at the hotel the other night.

The Tommy Resort itself was not bad. The room we had was right on the beach, and this is the only room I would recommend staying in. The others looked dark and set back. The restaurant was very nice, and the pool was very nice. The room itself was basic, but clean and exactly as advertised. The staff was friendly and accommodating (outside of the manager who failed to mention the really loud, long party).

The beach, however, was dirty and disgusting. This is not a reflection of the resort, and did not factor in to my review of the resort; however, I feel compelled to mention this to anyone thinking of visiting Haat Rin. It is disgusting. The Full Moon Party has really taken its toll on that Island, and that beach in particular. Do yourselves a favor, and avoid Phangan. Take an extended stay on Phi Phi Don, or check out Samui for a few days.

Room Tip: Ocean Front
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed here four nights for the full moon party, though had to pay the minimum 6 nights. Check-in was fine but they hadn't setup the third bed we asked for, and told us that it would be an extra 700B extra per night for the rollaway which they hadn't told us when we were booking.
They said to check the room and see if the queen bed was fine for two people. We did and decided to go for the roll away and they made a bit of a fuss about it, but got it setup. The room was fine, a bungalow fronting onto the pool. The aircon was quiet and effective, there was a TV and the bathroom was basic but fine.
On non full moon party nights you can hear a bit of music coming from the beach, but its not too bad. I am a light sleeper and I was already wearing ear plugs due to snoring room mates so it didn't bother me. But on a Full Moon Party night... forget sleeping, the music right out the front of the hotel keeps going until about 8am. We also left our valuables with reception on the FMP night.
The other annoyance of the hotel is the amount of signs everywhere warning of fines. There were signs around the pool about fines for non-hotel guests, signs in the restaurant for fines if you get paint on the furniture they were everywhere and just made you feel like you might do something wrong.
In the end they didn't/forgot to charge us for the rollaway. Our stay was good, it was nice and comfortable and reasonably quiet given its location. I'd stay there again but I'd also be happy to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Easily the best resort on the full moon party beach - 1 min walk or stumble back from beach bars to your room, The manager Suthee is the best hotel manager we have ever met! Very friendly and would highly recommend this resort if you are there to experience the beach bars and partys every night of the week. Amazing location also - A++++++

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

First day in Ko Phangan with my friend. Had a lovely day at the beach and had breakfast and lunch at the Tommy Resort resturant. We went back for dinner because it had great views of the beach. I pointed at the spaghetti bolognese and asked for this but just spaghetti and tomato sauce...no meat because i am vegatarian. The waiter brought out a meat dish and i said 'no i didn't want meat.' He went back to the kitchen and then came back to me and argued with me for 5 minutes saying that's not what i said. He was very loud and rude in front of other people eating dinner and everybody was looking at us. He said i could have the dish for free (even though i don't eat meat) but they woudn't make me what i asked for!? When we left and paid for our drinks and my friends meal the waiter said, "next time go to the next resturant." Rude rude little man!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Tommy's resort is a famly run hotel. The young manager Sutee is amazing and sets the tone for all the staff. Any problems and the manager does everything he can to solve them for you. (even getting me cough medicine when I got ill and calamine lotion for my daughter's heat rash.). Really nice coming down for a good breakfast and getting a warm welcome from owners, manager and staff alike. Felt really looked after by the manager and staff. It helped us fully relax because we were looked after so well.
Tommy Travel Shop very helpful and the ICE CREAM shop 'Dream Cones' has real Italian ice cream and wonderful real coffee.
Tommy's resort has a nightwatchman and a extensive CCTV system that covers everywhere on the resort. I felt very safe.
The swimming pool is huge and you have the choice of swimming in the sea. The resort is right on the beach and it was lovely eating meals looking out to sea.
I would recommend this hotel to everybody. I talked to other guests staying at Tommy's and found that for most of them, this was a return visit. People come back time and again. One man comes every year with all his staff for their annual staff holiday.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tommy Resort? Share your experiences!