“Open again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
Ko Phangan, Surat Thani, Thailand
“Open again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nice people in beautiful hotel situated on the fisherman village. Big beds in big rooms, in a quiet street. I guess I will go back for sure! They have friendly staff who always found solutions for all our inquiries. Nice job to the new owners, you make something good!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Very good hotel......in a sweet seafood village.....on the beach....nice pool side area....great and spacious rooms....very kind staf.....wi fi available....very good location...great seafood and italian restaurants just a few minutes walk away....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Just writing to warn people the hotel is closed. We went past the hotel late April and it nas a for sale sign on it 50-60 million baht I think is the asking price. It is a great location right on the beachfront of a beautiful fishing village. hopefully someone will buy it and do the necessary repairs.

Stayed April 2012
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I wouldn't book Mandalai...
We had our resevations for this hotel 3 months before our trip and 2 weeks before arrive to the place they contact us saying that the hotel is overbooked for the period that we pay.
Now we can't book other place because all of them are completely full in Ko Phangan.
Sooooo desapointed!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

really enjoyed our 2 nights here. felt v indulgent place to stay, cool, calm yet central.

great deck from which to watch the comings a going at the pier and the women drying out the squid.

the rooms were spacious, never used the bath but lovely position overlooking the sea. and good walk in shower. very clean and simple style - though apart from the small buddhas on a shelf above the bed and the view there wasn't much to make you feel you were in thailand

also don't really see the point of a mosquito net that is not quite long enough!!

friendly staff though our email requesting a transfer went unanswered.

didn;t have breakfast in so can't comment

if you want modern stylish then great. if you want ore thai go get a bungalow!

Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This hotel looks nice, great location and funky interiors however its the worst hotel in the world. We had no safe in our room, completely unheard of abroad. We asked at reception to be moved or have one installed that day however they said we could not move rooms unless we paid more. We didn't see why we should have to pay more when the room we booked promised to have a safe. We asked to see a manager but they never appeared and whenever we tried to speak with reception they were either nowhere to be seen or conveniently didn’t understand. We took our passports and money out with us whenever we left, however on our last day when we returned 2 rings and a bracelet were missing from my bag. Although the jewellery was costume jewellery it had sentimental value. The hotel were so unhelpful, I would never recommend staying here unless you want bad service, your belongings to be stolen and decor that seriously needs attention. Not to mention a drunken security guard supposedly keeping the place safe at night.....joke.

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I first booked this hotel at the end of December for the beginning of February, staying for 4 nights. Mid way through January I was contacted by the reservations manager explaining that the reception team had put my booking in the wrong month and subsequently I had received a cancellation charge for a no show. The reservations manager offered to refund the charge to my card or I could leave the charge to go against my actual stay. I opted for the later. Shortly after this my plans changed and we reduced our booking from 4 nights to 2 nights, this was confirmed with the reservations manager and we looked forward to our visit. From this point forward our experience of the Mandalai hotel went dramatically downhill.
On the day of arrival we were taxied to the hotel to be met with a very cross reception, I presented my paper work showing our booking for 2 nights, but the reception team still had us booked in for 4 nights and therefore when we had not arrived 2 days before had charged me another 2 nights cancellation. The reception team presented me with their paperwork showing 4 nights booking, but then I went through the pile to find an updated booking confirmation of 2 nights in their pile. Unfortunately this was not enough for them and they would have to check with management and get back to us later in our stay. For the next 2 days each time we went by reception to check on the progress, the reception team would say that they had not been able to get hold of anyone yet.
On the night before our departure I thought it best to settle our bill as we had an early ish departure after breakfast the next morning. After a lengthy conversation with the young man on reception he agreed that our booking was only for 2 nights, but the charge from January still stood. I explained that this had been their mistake and I was due a refund for this. Reception could not do anything with this and I was told that a manager would be on duty the next morning to sort the problem.
As you can image the next morning I made sure that I was at reception at the agreed time to meet with the manager to get my refund and get on my way to my next destination. What I wasn’t expecting was to be faced with the same receptionist from my arrival date, once again saying that I could not be refunded for the January charge as it was a cancelled booking. This argument went on for the full half an hour before my pick up with no result. So I left the hotel after stay for 2 nights, and paying for 3 nights, one of which was charged above the agreed per night rate!?
Once I got to my next destination I called the contact numbers on the confirmation in the hope of speaking to the reservations manager to action my refund. After several tries I got though to another receptionist of the hotel who said that my refund had been given and I should check my bank account for confirmation. This call cost me £15 from my mobile. And so I did kept checking my bank account from my phone and 2 days later another 1 night charge was taken from my account! I both emailed and called the hotel demanding the correct refund to be given, reception assured me that it had been given, and I told them that I had been charged, not refunded. Nat on reception said that a refund for 2 nights had been given after the charge for 1 night had been made. Later I did see the refund for the cheaper nights refunded, leaving the hotel with 1 night at over the per night rate and another at the standard.
Since returning home I have had the chance to total the costs to me with the extra cancellation charges made, bank transaction charges, my phone bill for calls and data and I am at a financial loss of over £100, or 5000 baht.
I have tried to contact the reservations manager, by several emails explaining my complaint and the fact that I am at financial loss through no fault of my own, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Added to this our whole experience of this island was ruined with the concern over how much money they were going to take from us even though we had complete and correct paperwork.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandalai Hotel? Share your experiences!