“Good value at very nice location. (Don't get scared of negative reviews)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Central Cottage Resort

Save Saved
You added Central Cottage Resort to your Saves list
Central Cottage Resort
6/3 Moo 5 | Haad Thong Nai Pan Yai, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #66 of 91 Hotels in Ko Phangan
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good value at very nice location. (Don't get scared of negative reviews)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Let's face it, when you are out in the backpacker country, don't expect 5 star hotels.
Central Cottage offers fairly clean bungalows at OK price located in the midst of a fabulous tranquil beach. Perfect for families or when you got tired of the party noise.
Oh, and don't be scared of the taxi trip over the island. It is by far not as bad as some reviews say. We did it with our 4 and 6 year olds in an open taxi and were just fine.
Pool area is well maintained and fresh, beach is swept clean every morning. Outside our beach hut, we had a decent fresh water shower.
Just one "warning" if you have small kids. The "orange juice" in the breakfast is probably loaded with preservatives, too strong for kids stomachs. Both ours threw up after drinking it and we heard of others experiencing same thing. Buy a fresh squeezed instead. Except for that, breakfast was pretty good, including bacon & eggs, pancakes, corn flakes, toast and fruit.

Room Tip: #22 was the mid room of three in a "bungalow" style hut directly on the beach. You open th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012 via mobile

We have just spent 5 nights at central cottage, and were a little apprehensive to stay there from the previous reviews. However I have to say that I really don't know what people are complaining about, for the type and price that we paid, we were more than happy. We paid about 1000 baht per night for a superior island bungalow. For that we got a bungalow near the beach, ac and hot water from what was a great shower with plenty of water pressure. The bathroom was 'wet room' style but that was ok as everything was clean. We also got breakfast included, it wasn't amazing but it was fresh and all you can eat. The swimming pool was clean and nice and there were plenty of poolside loungers. The location was great, in the middle of the beach. And the restaurant was pretty good, we ate there a couple of times for lunch. Ok a couple of downsides, the tv didn't seem to tune in (who cares?!) and they only cleaned the room once during our stay. There also was a fairly large yet empty fridge/minibar but again we were only steps away from the bar and minimart. All in all I think this place doesn't deserve the out and out criticism that people give it for the service they provide. You want more? Then pay a bit more for a swanky room you won't spend much time in anyway!

• Stayed January 2012
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

This was the best holiday we have had in many years. Central Cottage Resort is in the middle of the most beautiful stretch of beach in Tong Nai Pan Yai. This is a family-run resort and as I understood it, the family is from Burma. They were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure that we enjoyed our stay there.

We stayed in a poolside room, which was quite adequate. The beds were comfortable and air conditioner worked fine. Refrigerator and TV with only Thai programmes in room. The bathroom had a shower with no walls, toilet and basin. Room was cleaned every day, botteled water provided free of charge. Fresh linen every second day. Laundry service at 40 Baht per kg.

The resort has an infinity pool that goes right up to the beach with beach chairs to sleep your days away on in the sun. Lockers at reception to lock away valuables. WiFi and internet service also available. The resort provides for transport from and to the ferry terminal at Thong Sala and the full moon and half moon parties at a nominal fee. Motorbike hire available at 200 Baht per day.

The beach front restaurant offers a very broad menu with some of the best hamburgers I have ever tasted. From 7pm to 10pm every evening, they also offered a barbeque with steak, chicken, a variety of fresh fish, langoustines and prawns. On New Years Eve, we were treated to a stunning buffet. Breakfast (included in our room rate) consisted of fruit and yoghurt, cereals, bacon, eggs, toast, coffee and tea.

Central Cottage Resort is flanked by the Yai bar to the left and Flip Flop bar to the right. Both bars have their own distinct styles. Both also offer good food and late night snacks. The resort is an ideal base to do day trips from. These include elephant treks or hiking in the rainforests, snorkelling in the Angtong marine park (boats leave from the beach in front of Central Cottage) or simply exploring the wonders of Koh Phangan on a motorbike. On the beach there are several excellent Thai massage parlours.

Central Cottage is an established resort and does look a bit more rustic than on its website photographs. However, for what we paid, about $40 per night for both of us, including breakfast, I must say we really got value for our money and I’ll recommend Central Cottage anytime. I am planning to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cranleigh, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We book our room to stay there a few months in advance so that we could get a nice clean room with air conditioning when we arrived he had double booked our room didnt appoligize for his mistake after we had payed a deposit then offered us another room which we viewed and it was terrible unclean unsercure and the bathroom had a tin roof with plants growing in over all bad experience dont stay if you can avoid it

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed a couple of nights at Central Cottages when I first got to Thong Nai Pan Yai. I've got no real complaints, but I ended up finding much nicer places to stay on the other beach (Thong Nai Pan Noi). It's best feature is its proximity to the "Yai Bar", which has regular fire twirling sessions out the front, but a trip over from Noi isn't likely to cost you much, so go stay somewhere like Sandee Bungalow (or Star Huts if you need Aircon) on Thong Nai Pan Noi -- In fairness, that's really a judgement of the two beaches, not a comparison of the quality of accommodation.

The staff were vaguely helpful if not always around, the shop has cold drinks... everything was as expected with no surprises either way.

Room Tip: Always look around at the other places and check their prices. Best prices are highly variable week...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

This place was one of the worse night mares of accommodation ever happen to me on all my travels. Therefore I want to mention it to warn other travelers. In 2007 I arrived in Bangkok and was so exhausted that I just wanted to book from over there. I did it in a governmental travel agency T.A.T. what was a big mistake. I wanted a quite place but good to reach and a bungalow at the beach. Guess what I got when I arrived, besides that the lady ripped me off... The place was far away of everything and taxi to the places where you wanna go really expensive and not always available. Then I arrived in rain, nobody welcomed me or even cared...or helped me with the bags. I didn't get the beautiful beachfront what was promised to me and shown on the flyer. I got a bungalow opposite to the party area and the floor had a big hole!!! Besides it was not nice... I wanted to change but first I had problems and later I had to sleep one night over there... The people were really unfriendly didnt wanted to give me the appartment I payed for... So never go there and also never book in advance better go, look and then pay - where the money is there is as well the power!

Room Tip: Don't pay before you see - Don't prebook.
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We came over to this side of the beach, from thong nai pan noi and went through all the hotels on the beach, and found central cottage who were right in the middle of the beach with front view of the sea bungalow... For a very decent price we got the most amazing located room, literary on the beach!!! Waking up to this view every morning is an amazing experience.
And on our right side we had the lovely swimming pool that was always fun!

The service was ok... Chai was very nice to us and always so helpful...
The food isn't crazy good at their restaurant, but we found some real nice places to eat at our neigbors...
(Pen's restaurant is really good- madsaman curry with pineapple... Mmmm the best) and even the Indian place ahead was real good! So food was no big deal cuz we enjoyed other places...

Internet is free (wifi) and since our room was on the beach, close to the swimming pool and restaurant, we had good wifi signal in our room.

Overall, I defiantly recommend you to come and enjoy this amazing heaven on earth thong nai pan Yai and stay at our bungalow.
number 27!

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Central Cottage Resort? Share your experiences!