“Great place to stay for fmp!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vimarn Samut Resort

Vimarn Samut Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Phangan
Vimarn Samut Resort
You added Vimarn Samut Resort to your Saves list
117/11 Moo 6, Bann Thai, Rin Beach, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #77 of 90 Hotels in Ko Phangan
Surrey
“Great place to stay for fmp!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Staff are lovely! some speak english really well!
They do their own taxi service which is quite reasonable and comfortable.
The roads in the area of Haad Rin Nai are mentally steep (20%+) so you can't walk around the road (but beach is nicer so who cares) and it's not advised to ride a rented motorbike because that's so dangerous on these roads!!! there's a small convenience store the other side of the road to the hotel which sells some of the basics.
800b a night for air con, which is pretty good considering it's in a popular area for the full moon party.
room is amazing and spacey! even has a balcony. It's not bungalows like a lot of places in the area but the room makes up for that. it's clean!!! clean bed and clean towels!!! the bathroom's good too.
The restaurant does really good food. Have the garlic bread! Much better option than the rest of the places in this area, just far enough so you don't hear the ruckus of Coral Bungalows but not too far a walk from haad rin nok (about 20 minutes?)
beach is nice and the hotel does free sun loungers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Business
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Vimarn Samut Resort was the worst hotel I have ever visited. Not only did the guest rooms have bugs / sand fleas everywhere, but you have to request that your room get cleaned each day, and there's no guarantee that your room will even be cleaned. The worst part was the owner, who, upon my request to pay by credit card, accused me of cheating him, threw a bottle at me and hit me with a closed fist and excessive force, in the face (I'm a woman, traveling with two other women). He told me "You will not get off this island". I have reported this incident to all authorities possible, and hope that no one has to feel so terrified. In the end, the police retained the man so that he would not come back to try and intimidate me into giving him more cash.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

When I arrived there were an English couple in reception complaining and trying to get new accomodation, so that wasn't very promising..BUT...

I was shown to my room and it looked absolutely fine. It had obviously just been cleaned and I didn't spot any roaches during my stay. This hotel is quite basic, so if you're looking for 5* then you're in the wrong place. However, if you're going to be spending most of your time on the beach and not in your room, like I was, then it's perfectly acceptable.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Their english wasn't amazing - but then neither is my Thai, so who's to blame!? The food served was very nice and I liked the little 'lounge' area near reception where you could watch TV or play board games. They also had an internet desk for a decent price.

There's a small beach type area outside. It's not the most beautiful beach I've ever been on, but it was fine for a couple of hours sunbathing each day.

This place is a little bit off of the beaten track. But I found it really easy (and very cheap) to get a taxi to and from the main strip in Ko Phangan. I wouldn't have walked at night as it's a very dark area (and we are 3 young girls), but we walked during the day and it was fine.

I did find the price slightly high for what I got, but this was during a Full Moon Party weekend, so I expected nothing less. I was actually glad we stayed a bit further away from the Party itself as a lot of nearby hotels got broken into and were full of party goers that we not even guests!

If you want a basic and clean place to sleep with friendly staff -then this is for you.

If you want 5* luxury and to spend a lot of time in your room - then it's not!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Steep stairs!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

We have strong suspicions that the positive reviews written about this "hotel" on other sites are the work of an english speaking owner or a tourist who was paid to post them. This place is beyond terrible. Located on a far and deserted part of Haad Rin, dirty and worst of all- overpriced. They misrepresent themselves online and charge prices that are exhuberant for this island. You will be sorely disappointed upon arrival (as we were) but will be forced to stay 3 nights around the full moon party (the only time this hotel has any guests... I saw their booking calendar during our stay). Do yourself a favour and stay at any other place....

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — locations
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

I stayed here in low season so expected the area to be as quiet as it proved to be. The hotel is an 8 minute walk from the pier, another 5 minutes on to the town, but walking back after 1800 you must clamber over rocks that jut out into the sea (so make sure you're still relatively sober!)
The staff were all helpful and pleasant, I had no problem with understanding them or them me. The food is good, quality and price, and the service was prompt - but throughout the majority of my stay the hotel was no more than half-full except for the three days around the full moon party. The hotel has the cheapest intenet service I found on Koh Phangan and was also one of the only ones from which i could access my Irish internet bank account. I'd booked one of the more expensive rooms with dvd player and fridge, which was situated on the corner, and was no better or worse than i'd imagined (having stayed on the island on 4 previous occasions). My only complaint is that they did not supply soap or shampoo which most hotels in this price bracket tend to.
While I doubt I would return to Vimarn Samut, the hotel was clean and the staff friendly. Yes, there was a cockroach in the bathroom but this IS South-east Asia, and I had to request that my bedding was changed but this was done promptly once requested.

• Liked — away from the noise rubbish of had rin while close enough to reach within 15 minutes. Nice beach bars close by
  • Disliked — swimming not possible in sea and no pool
  • Tips/Secrets — stay relatively sober if walking back at night when tide's in!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

Do not waste your money here! It is one of the most overpriced hotels I have ever stayed at. There were cockroaches in our room, the bathroom roof leaked and there was no television even though they claimed it as one of the best hotels on the island. Besides that, the air conditioning took forever to get cold and it wasn't remotely close to sunrise beach. The other reviews said it was a short 10 minute walk. It is more like 20 minutes (which in the heat is horrible) and you would never want to do the walk by yourself at night. The property is located in sunset beach, which is dirty and deserted. The staff barely speaks English so if you have a problem you would need to figure out how to mime your way to a solution. I would recommend any other hotel besides this one!

Been to Vimarn Samut Resort? Share your experiences!