“Beautiful Beach Location and Good Value for money.” 4 of 5 stars

Salad Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Haad Salad Road, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Beach Location and Good Value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our last hotel left much to be desired despite high trip advisor reviews, so our expectations for this resort were not particularly high... Thankfully we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

The resort is very clean and well maintained. There was not a time during our stay that the grounds were not being cleaned and managed. You could tell there was a real sense of pride in keeping the place looking nice. Our room was always cleaned promptly every day with fresh shower and beach towels provided, along with a free 1.5 litre bottle of drinking water.

The room itself was nicely decorated, comfy bed, television with a good set of English speaking and movie channels (I ended up being ill two out of our five days there, so this turned out to be a godsend). Wifi was available here and there was a security box.

The only slight criticism I would have is that the shower was luke warm at best and with the room being right near the public street and reception it could be a little noisy at night - but never until late and nothing to stop you sleeping.

The pool area is gorgeous with plenty of sunbathing chairs, the only real negative is that it doesn't catch mutch sunlight... by why worry about that when you have the beach on your door step.

Salad Beach is simply gorgeous. The sand is crystal white and the sea is clear blues and green. Many people have complained about the water not being deep enough to swim in, but I thought it was perfect for a nice dip and you can actually walk quite far out, which leads to some stunning photos standing in the middle of the sea.

The resort is right on the beach so you can sit on the decking and sunbathe and later in the evening have dinner in the beach restaurant or even right on the beach. They lay out lovely tables, with big fire candles... its lovely.

The Breakfast was nothing to shout about to be honest it was very basic, but enough to fill you up. My main criticism of the hotel and the reason it doesn't get an excellent is the restaurant. The food was pretty average, over priced and the portion sizes were small.

The majority of the restaurant staff were great though and very friendly, they perhaps just needed a bit more organisation and management, as there was at times confusion on whether we'd ordered or paid or had our food etc because we seemed to be served by no less than four people at anyone sitting.

It's in a great location if you just come to relax on the beach, which we did, but a bit out the way if you want to be near full moon and all the main action - although you can hire scooters from the row of nearby shops.

Having the shops nearby was great for snacks, drinks and toiletries and on the beach there are lots of more resorts and restaurants to choose for food.

The girls on reception were also lovely. They sorted out all our onward travel, booking bus and ferry and organising taxi - all very efficient.

All in all, given the price we paid this was a gorgeous location, friendly staff, nice room. Really enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. Hotel staff is very friendly and open for any extras and negotiations. Hotel id right on a breath taking beach with good snorkeling opportunities and a nice quiet pool area. Hint: if you book the hotel at the reception without any reservation you might get special prices.

• Stayed September 2012
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Too bad that the men of the staff are so rude & so unpleasant...the hotel is quite nice if you expect something comfortable & not expensive...I hope the manager will choice his staff with more SERIOUSNESS because it's quite a shame!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Leamington Spa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My review is possibly a bit skewed after arriving here from a really nice hotel in Koh Tao that was a cheaper, but in summary, Salad Beach Resort is basic but comfortable and is perfectly fine for what we needed it for - a couple of nights as we pass through.

You can arrange a pick up from the pier for around 150bht each. It's a good escape from the bustle of Haad RIn and the beach itself is lovely - proper sand and warm, clear sea, although you have to walk out for ages before it gets deeper than your waist!

Restaurant is fine too and there's a decent swimming pool in the grounds.

The rooms are not very secure - both entrances are fairly flimsy and the safety deposit box is fine, but I suspect someone could just whip that away if they really wanted it! The bed is huge and comfortable and the a/c works well. There's a balcony, but it leads out to a pool of still water with LOADS of mozzies flying about and as these doors were open when we arrived we had a fair few to contend with in our room. Not really the hotel's fault, of course, but those who attract the mozzies might want to stay out of room 306 - there are rooms higher up that might be better.

Not exactly bowled over, but it certainly does the job and it's a decent budget option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were headed to Koh Phangan for a couple of days at the end of our two month trip through SE Asia and booked Salad Beach because it didn't have a minimum number of nights stay over the Full Moon Party period, and was at the other end of the island from all that it entailed.

We emailed the hotel before arrival and organised a transfer from the pier to the hotel for 150 baht each which we paid at check in. We were driven up in an air conditioned mini bus but think this was because some guests were staying at the much more expensive Salad Buri Resort - our return transfer was by typical island taxi (pick up truck with covered back and bags on the roof)

We had booked a sea view room and were not disappointed. Walking down from reception we passed the pool/jacuzzi and bungalows set in lovely, well tended gardens and were taken to our room above the restaurant - initially we were concerned about the noise but couldn't hear a sound from there throughout our stay.
The room was spacious, had a huge double bed, integrated AC, fridge, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, safe and the biggest and most well appointed wet room we had seen in Asia. Our room and balcony we're on a 90 degree angle to the beach but the view was stunning.

The beach was to die for, a white sandy bay flanked either side by green cliffs and the sun set over the horizon. You had to walk quite far out if you wanted to swim as the bay was shallow with rocks and coral dotted about which seemed to be enjoyed by snorkellers but we found that most people were happy to sit in the water closer to shore which in some places was deep enough to cover your shoulders.

Breakfast was included for us and consisted of juices, tea, coffee, omelette station, pancake station, large toaster, sausages, bacon, stir fry veg, cereals, fruit with plenty of seating to accommodate everyone. The restaurant also served really good value meals and were cheaper than the other couple of restaurants in the village; Haad Salad is a really small town with three shops, an ATM, a couple of resorts/hotels and 3/4 places to eat outside Salad Beach Resort, as such food and drink is at a premium but the cost of meals in the hotel was reasonable, but drinks were expensive (compared to the mainland).

There was free wifi which originated in the restaurant and so could be accessed from that area and free computers with Internet in the restaurant if you didn't have your own mobile device.

The hotel offered a return taxi service to the Full Moon Party at 400 baht per person and had drop offs at 7pm, 9.30pm and 11pm and return taxis any time after 2am. The taxis took us down to Haad Rin and dropped us at the place where we would be picked up and we were given a laminated card to show we had paid and where we wanted to go back to. The whole process was relatively painless (apart from hurtling through the jungle at high speeds in the back of a pick up truck) and when we wanted to go back we only had to wait 5 minutes for the taxi to fill up before we set off.
We were able to pay for this taxi service and return transfer to the pier by credit card which was very helpful.

We had a lovely, relaxing stay at Salad Beach and wouldn't hesitate to go back if we were on Koh Phangan again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Salad Beach Resort was the last hotel my boyfriend and I stayed on our visit to Thailand this August. Previously we’d been in Bangkok, then Koh Samui. This was our first visit to Thailand.

Salad Beach had been recommended by a friend as a place to stay, since it was so quiet and relaxing, so we decided it’d be ideal for the end of our break and for my 30th birthday (which the whole holiday was for).

Salad Beach Resort was suggested by the guy booking our holiday for us and it looked nice – although some of the reviews on the main building accommodation had me worried (and we knew before we went this was the area our room was going to be in).

As with other hotels I’d arranged a taxi transfer to the hotel, so at Thong Sala pier we were met by a hotel rep who took us and two other couples to the hotel via their ‘taxi’ (typical Salad Beach transport) – the suitcases went on the roof. After a beautiful ride through the jungle surrounds we arrived at the resort to the hotel’s open air reception and were greeted with the garden and wooden paradise that is Salad Beach resort – we felt like we were staying in a treehouse at times, it was lovely.

We knew this was going to be more basic than where we’d stayed previously due to the size of the beach resort and we’d been told Koh Phangan overall wasn’t as touristy. I was a bit disappointed not to get a welcome drink on arrival and to find we had to pay immediately for our taxi transfer and my birthday ‘party’ we’d paid for in advance (a pretty pricey 4800THB meal that included a private area on the beach with decorations, our own waiter, a three course meal, fireworks and lanterns).

On reaching our room we realised it was a lot more basic here, but it was still nice and clean. Even in the shower you felt like you were outdoors due to the stone walls, but I liked that. In some ways it reminded me a little of holidays to Greece and their well-known plumbing system since you couldn’t put paper down the toilets and the shower wasn’t super powerful and took a while to heat up. That said the bed again was huge and the room was nicely decorated, we had a nice little balcony overlooking some gardens/pond area too.

Our first impressions weren’t great when we left the room to head to the beach since we arrived later in the afternoon, so although we were stunned with how beauty the little bay is and how quiet, we were disappointed to find all the decking area above the beach which belonged to the hotel had no sunloungers left (there are only around 8 or so). The same happened at the pool area (there were more loungers here but not loads). Tip for you – in the room you get two big bath towels each, one white and one blue, the blue one is your beach towel and gets changed every day (as does your bath towel). We decided to go on the beach with just our small beach towels we had ourselves and found it a bit uncomfortable.

Be warned it gets hot here, very hot, the bay is so open to the sun, the sand is so white it is very bright. Obviously both these things are lovely and make for beautiful scenery. There are good areas for diving near here too so there are a few bits of coral in the water – just spy them out earlier in the morning and then you can work out where is best to swim/paddle. The sea also gets very hot, in some places it feels like being in a hot bath, no exaggeration!

We wanted this as relaxing stay and had four nights here so we just stayed in and around the resort – we ate the inclusive breakfast in the hotel, sunbathed on the beach front loungers, had lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants nearby, sunbathed by the pool later in the afternoon and had dinner at one of the beachfront restaurants. I can highly recommend Salad Hut – amazing service, great food and huge portions. Also Sunset Bar after dinner for extremely relaxed cocktails/beers is a must! On our last night we went to a Muay Thai boxing match in Thong Sala ‘stadium’ , it was great fun and pretty cheap.

We also wanted to go on the highly advertised night squid fishing trip, but sadly it was too windy when we were there. Another tip – the evenings get very windy here and the tide comes in – you can still walk on the beach to the restaurants but your feet might get a little wet! Although it’s windy it’s still boiling hot though don’t worry!

The breakfast at the hotel is nice but a bit smaller compared to other places we stayed – you can have pancakes, scrambled or fried eggs, toast, a small selection of fruit, a few hot choices (bacon runs out quick) and tea, coffee or orange juice. Regardless it was still very nice.

The only disappointing aspect of our stay and something that saddened me a little with this hotel was that the staff were friendly, but when they couldn’t help you or had something bad to tell you suddenly their English was a struggle. Also for a place where everyone is so friendly and everything is such good value I didn’t like how they wanted all the money up front when we got there and as for my birthday party…

Well the decorated area, food and service were amazing – I loved it, a great way to celebrate. We had two fireworks set off by staff for us on the beach, these were good if brief. However, the lanterns we never got to do as it was too windy and every night we asked it was too windy. Obviously I’d already paid for this… Now I understand places can’t be blamed for weather conditions, but the squid fishing trip was not on until the next month they told us because of August being too windy. This to me says that obviously you don’t offer customers lanterns in these weather conditions as you know they aren’t going to be able to use them. PLUS on Koh Samui every night there were people selling lanterns and fireworks really cheap and my boyfriend and I purposely didn’t get them because we were saving that experience to make it special on my 30th. I was really upset we never got to do them.

On check out I tried to discuss this and again the staff suddenly had trouble understanding me – the basic outcome was they wouldn’t give me any money back as it was ‘part of the package’, despite me explaining it’s not part of the package if you don’t get it. They also suggested they give me the lanterns to take home to the UK with me…

I don’t want to put a whole dampener on our whole stay here, but it just saddened me that this was the only bad thing out of our whole holiday and it happened to be on a very special occasion. I found the Thai people nothing but kind, welcoming, polite and helpful and this incident just made me feel like they’d been a bit sneaky and conned me in some way.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as it was a in a lovely location, the grounds were great and everything about it was nice, if more basic than other areas. My only tip – don’t bother organising a private meal, you can get food and a meal on the beach for much better value elsewhere, and if you ever get to go on the squid fishing trip let me know what it was like!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days in August. Lovely room with spacious wetroom and balcony. Excellent food in beachfront restaurant and fabulous massage that would have cost four times as much at home!

Nice, safe beach with pretty good snorkelling. Only thing missing was beach loungers and umbrellas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Salad Beach Resort? Share your experiences!