“Great spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort

You added BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   120/1 Moo 6, Haad Rin Nai Beach, Ko Phangan 84280, Thailand   |
Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Ko Phangan
4.0 of 5 stars 404 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“Great spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Great location, a few minutes walk from the party beach, close enough to go and far enough away that you don't have to be surrounded by party goes. Beach front and a 7 eleven next door.
Breakfast was alright, spa is a bit pricey.
We had a few problems with the door not locking and with the safe but the staff helped us out.
The wifi signal only really works in the lobby.
All in all i'd go back.

Room Tip: we stayed in a cottage which was close to the pool and not too far from the beach. we liked it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights during a full moon party. Too long to stay in one spot! After the full moon party the area is dead! There is almost nothing to do during the day so my advice if you are a first timer - don't stay for longer than 3 nights.

Anyway, when I first checked in I found that the reception spoke very little english and were not very friendly.

Once I walked in to the resort, I got excited about our cottage! We had decided to go for a slightly more expensive room as we had gone budget in Ko Samui and Phuket.

We went in to our room which was tiny! but at least it was nice and close to the beach (Not that the beach is all that nice on that side). The room wasn't as nice as I had hoped it to be. Being that it cost more than our hotels in Ko Samui and Phuket, I expected better.

The shower was awkward to use as it hung over a bath. I had to stand up with the support of my hand against a wall so that the water could pour down my back!

Now the one thing that drove me INSANEEE about this place was the incredibly loud music that they had blaring at 10am and it was always the same playlist. I was always waking up to 'Allll I wanna dooo is find a wayyyy back in your loveeee'.

Our room was 3 doors away from the beach and positioned right near these speakers. Most nights we were getting in to bed at around 3-4am. What do they expect? The resort was full of people around our age who would be heading to bed quite late.

Apart from the reception, the staff seemed pretty nice. They brought us cocktails to the pool and when we ordered food it came out fairly quick (which is rare in Ko Phangan!). Their restaurant serves pretty decent food.

The reviews are true about the buffet breakfast - pretty bad. Their peices of ham and sausages sit in water... why they do this I have no idea.

Our in-room safe said 'low battery' for most of the time... but I remember reading a review about the staff being pretty hopeless when it comes to assisting you with the safes so we just kept using it with hope that it didn't die! which it didn't. Thank god!

The location of the resort is decent. It is about a 5 minute walk from Haad Rin so we never caught a taxi. There is also a convenient 7/11 (24 hour supermarket) next door if you want to buy some beers or food! or pick up a microwave burger/pizza to munch on after a boozy night out.

When we went to check out, I was informed that we had to pay something like 350 Baht for a towel that was missing from our room. I never took my towel out of the room, maybe my roommate did for the pool, however I find it a little ridiculous to get charged for something that probably gets found all the time around the resort. Nice little bit of extra cash in their pockets.

We were very careful with body paint and cleanliness. They have a list of things that you will get charged for if you manage to get paint on them. Walking through our squishy room to get to the shower every night was like being Catherine Zeta Jones in that laser scene on Entrapment!

I wish we had stayed elsewhere! I will not be returning to Best Western when I next visit Koh Phangan. I believe that I will get MUCH better value for money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not get a cottage unless you don't mind an extremely loud alarm clock waking you up at 10am.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
ResortResponse, Manager at BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
Dear “Splucy”,

First of all I’d like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay at the BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort on Koh Phangan.
It is very useful for other guest and especially for us as management to understand how the feedback is from our guest.
This is why after going through your review I have noted that you were not allover satisfied.
Therefor I have looked into many of the points you have mentioned to avoid similar events and also to improve points to make the overall experience here at BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort to be an enjoyable memory.

So please be assured that your feedback has been taken seriously and we would be happy if you would let us have the pleasure to host you next time to ensure you our hospitality and service.

With regards
Stefan Schmidt
Resident Manager
BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

the service at the restaurant was pretty poor...
got our oder wrong several times on countless days.
the balcony was surrounded by mosquittos everynight, so couldnt really stay outside for too long.
room was tiny but nothing to complain about.
the pools were amazing to sit and relax in.
was ok for a place to stay close to the full moon party

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
ResortResponse, Manager at BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Monique R,

thank you for taken the time to write this candid review of your stay at our resort.

We're very sorry you weren't completely satisfied with the service in our restaurant. We will ensure that attention is paid even more to satisfy all wishes of our guests properly.
You mentioned also that you were bothered by Mosquitoes. If you come back to Thailand, you might try to use some insect repellent spray or put a Mosquito coil on your balcony, because mosquitoes are very common in Thailand and we can't do much against it. Please also understand, we're trying to take care of the environment and therefore we don't use insecticides.

Thank you once again for reviewing Best Western Phanganburi resort, your feedback is very valueable to us. We hope to welcome you back and want to assure you that we are constantly working to improve our service at Best Western Phanganburi Resort.
Warm Regards,
Hotel Management
Hertford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for 7 nights in February/March and was very pleasantly surprised. Although Koh Phangan is now known more for its full-moon party -- we were very happy to stay on the island not during this time.

This resort is about 10 minutes walk from the main party beach (which is the "sunrise" beach) -- which we would go to during the daytime. We would return in the evenings to Phangan Buri at about 4pm for us, settling down with cards, nibbles, food, drink. This resort is on the "sunset" beach, so you really can get some very beautiful photos, and feel very relaxed.

The staff would arrange trips to Tongsala for us if desired (in AC'd vans!), which was useful if we wanted to venture out to do some exploring.

All in all, just what I was looking for in a holiday. Clean resort, lovely rooms, quiet, beautiful sunsets, spa, good food and a convenience store 2 minutes away if some extra nibbles are ever wanted.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach is better!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights during the Full Moon party in March and though the resort was fantastic - close to all the action but quiet enough to still get a good night's sleep if required. The pool facilities were great and a good place to meet people, our room was clean and comfortable (just watch the abundance of mosquitoes in the hallways!) and the dining staff very pleasant. We were also very pleased to find out that the hotel organises a free shuttle from the pier to the hotel which made life very easy after getting off a busy ferry. The only con was the reception staff, who we found rude and abrasive on a few occasions, however on the whole, our stay was very pleasant and lots of fun!

Only word of caution is to watch your belongings. We (and other people we met at the resort) had a number of items stolen from our rooms during our stay, including money (though I hear this is quite common during the full moon parties). We also found our safe did not work and when we called reception, we were told someone would come to our room within 5 minutes. 20 minutes later we called back and were told it would take another hour for a staff member to assist and they never showed up. Once again, we found other people at the resort had the same problem! Despite this, we would stay at the resort again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

Was a great place to stay whilst at the full moon party as we could go back and relax in either of the pools when feeling a bit worse for wear. The top pool never had any body in it so was good at any time of the day to relax or drink in. Is a 3min walk to haad rin so pretty good location. Rooms were nice but a bit pricey, I guess they would be cheaper not in FMP week. Great luxury stay.

• Stayed March 2012
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I been here in 2007 and back again in March this year. I am glad to be here because the resort has an excellent services. It has private swimming pool at beach front and the best thing is to watch sun set in the evening. The room are clean, the resort has security guard patrolled all night so I fill save to stay here. Staff give very warm wellcome every where around resort. Please give special BIG THANKS to all waiter at the resturant for me. They doing their well WELL DONE. I would highly recomment anyone to stay here.

Mrs Turner

Room Tip: Room at beach front or the cottage.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Phanganburi Resort? Share your experiences!