“Mama Pooh's- The real deal!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Road side restaurant just outside Haad Chao Pao
London, United Kingdom
“Mama Pooh's- The real deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I can confidently say there will always be a special place in my heart for this wonderful little establishment.

Since first eating here several days ago I have visited every day since, sometimes more than once!

Where to start? I've probably never had better food for such little cost anywhere in all of my travels- and I've travelled extensively! The owners and staff are delightful. Such sweet people, always very friendly and welcoming with such a big, genuine smile. It's putting a big fat smile on my face now, just thinking about it as I type this.

I've read reviews here which mention the basic surroundings, but I find this incredibly rustic and adds a good deal of charm to it in my mind, and heightens the experience. And though I've already mentioned it I've got to come back to the food again, because it's so good it deserves at least two mentions and I'd like to elaborate on this further.

The menu is extensive (and incredibly cheap), the ingredients fresh and everything is prepared to order. Every meal I've had from the menu has been superb, and in the evenings I've mostly gone with the barbecued fresh seafood which involves me going in and saying 'what have you got in today?' and I take whatever they recommend, grilled and served with spicy Thai salad. It's delicious, healthy and costs very little. This is eating Thai style at its very best.

It's a fairly quiet time of the season that I've been coming here, so the service has been fast. I've read a couple of comments that when busy the wait for food took quite a while, and as this is only a small establishment and everything is cooked fresh to order I could imagine in high season there may be a need to wait a little while. However, given how superb and good value this place is I would be more than happy to wait! If I was with friends I'd probably enjoy a few cold beers and a good chat and if by myself I'd enjoy a few cold beers and a good book, knowing that when the food arrives I'm in for a treat.

My only regret is that I did not discover this place sooner. I love everything about it!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

It would be easy to judge this restaurant on appearance only. It looks very basic, a bit ramshackle and rundown. It is an unpretentious, and somewhat down to earth establishment. Not my first visit, but, this time I brought three friends, including a local Thai lass. All were suitably impressed and a bit amused at the 'decor'. We shared copious amounts of fresh and delicious seafood, curries, Thai salads, and fried vegetables, washed down with cold beer. A feast indeed, superb food at reasonable prices, all served by friendly and efficient staff. Well done and thanks Mama Pooh. The Thai lass can't wait to return, so another visit is imminent. Looking forward to it already.

Visited November 2013
“don't miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

one of the best dinner in thailand, not the "samesame" flavour - as most of the places you get used to. top friendly service, with excellent english. don't miss it.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Real Thai Food with the proper Thai price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ate at Mama Pooh's 5 times since we arrived and it has so far in our 3 week Thailand trip been the best food that we have eaten!

The food quality is very fresh and very very cheap. Our first meal we had 2 mains (one which was a fresh whole blue swimmer crab curry) 2 large beers, and rice for $6 AUD each! Unbelievable...

We saw the seafood being delivered almost daily so the food was always great quality.

The owners can't speak english so you need to write down your order yourself but this isn't a problem and they are very friendly and have an extensive menu to choose from!

Only thing is if you go there for dinner there are a lot of bugs (flying ants and mozzies). They do give you bug spray on your table but we found if you sit on the table inside instead of at the bamboo booths there are hardly any bugs.

Definitely worth a visit if you are after real thai cuisine (especially without the tourist pricing!).!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Istanbul, Turkey
“Good price, tasty food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This family restaurant is nicely located in Sri Thanu village of Koh Phangan. We stayed in Sri Thanu for 10 days and there is no day that we didn't stop at Mama's to have something to eat. They cook the best meals in the village and they have the best price. All the people who work there is very nice&polite. Everyone in Sri Thanu village should try this humble restaurant.

• Visited September 2013